Idea for a new raid mechanic of sorts.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ratbo Peep, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Ratbo Peep Augur

I'm kinda channeling/ combining a couple older raids here; Vile Oak, and the one where you had to play a game of "Clue" to determine "The Murderer".

"One amongst you is a traitor!"The players only get X number of clues (killing X adds per clue) to determine who the (totally random) traitor is. If they guess correctly the only viable remedy is for the traitor to gate out (or die and release to bind) and come back into the event.
    Failing to guess the traitor (or even 1 incorrect guess) results in the traitor becoming "Charmed" and turning on the raid force (at full power or worse) ; essentially "one shotting" another player every X seconds. If it get's to that point - the only remedy is for the raid to kill the traitor before he wipes the raid.

The idea here is that you still have to beat the raid short at least one random player, more if he goes on the murderous rampage before he's killed.

Thoughts?
    -R
    heruthemonk and Jumbur like this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Could be fun! :)

A traitor "powerup" could be reducing the cooldowns of the traitors abilities by alot, and let him go crazy on the raidforce. Make the raid feel how overpowered some player abilities are...

Having a wizard traitor attempt to tank'n spank the entire raid would be lame, make him spam manaburns and shadow-steps instead...! :p
    Ratbo Peep and heruthemonk like this.
  3. Warpeace Augur

That would do casual/family guilds so well:p
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  4. Ratbo Peep Augur

LOL
    Most casual guilds lose at least one player per event anyway. Heh.
    And yes I was thinking like Jumbur - the charmed player has to have a means of "one or two shotting" a buddy every X seconds. So if you don't guess correctly - you're down two people. The charmed one, and the friend he killed when "outing" himself.
    -R
  5. Ratbo Peep Augur

Edit From:
    "If they guess correctly the only viable remedy is for the traitor to gate out (or die and release to bind) and come back into the event."

Change to:
    If the correct player stands up on the X and says "I AM THE TRAITOR!" he is immediately charmed and will start killing his team mates in X seconds. This gives the raid X time to kill him dead. Removing the threat.
    If the wrong player does it - the correct traitor is charmed and immediately kills a team mate. Now you're down 2 players off the bat as opposed to down 1 player. (Fail!)

Note on gateing: Removed that option - either way the raid must kill the traitor. He's a traitor so F him. LOL
  6. fransisco Augur

What if each time you fail, there is another traitor.
    But the traitors don't unmask until you guess correctly - which then charms all of them at once
  7. Ratbo Peep Augur

I like that too! A few fails on the guessing could be the start of a very cool "cascade effect wipe"!
    Easier mode: The failed guesser will add to the charmed traitor.
    Harder mode: A random player will add to the charmed traitor.
    But the clues and guessing would have to stick with the original traitor for continuity.
    I know all the code exists to ID one player ala "I am the Murderer". I'm not sure how easy it is to go further. The idea is create a cool mechanic that requires "not much new code".
    -R
  8. Divinejustice Lorekeeper

While it does sound interesting, I don't want to have to read your thread if it gets implemented. Poor us please fix the mechanics it's too hard. Low/Mid tier guilds already seem to have enough issues getting through the basic mechanics without more to try and struggle through. Aside all that, it might make for some fun the first 3 or 4 times I guess.
    Warpeace likes this.
  9. Aurastrider Augur

I know there is a group mission like this in shards landing but the clues are rather horrible depending on your group makeup. For example if you have multiple of the same class/race combination it just becomes a random guessing game at this point. Add in if they worship the same god and now you are really screwed. I think for something like this to work every person in the raid would need to be given a random item on their cursor at the start of the raid. This item would have its own lore and each player would have a different item. As you kill each wave or progress the different clues you obtain would help to eliminate players based on the lore of these items instead of how that mission functioned.
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

This isn't really true. In addition to race/class/deity, the clues reference things such as AA count, /played time, and character birth date. I guess if you're playing the mission with two of the same class/race/deity that you rolled on the exact same day, always logged them in for the same amount of time, and they have identical AA counts it could be difficult. :)
  11. Aurastrider Augur

This was the exact issue I was having since 3 of my mages were made at the same time, leveled up at the same time, same race and well it just made the mission not enjoyable in that regards. It went from a true game of clue to a game of random guessing since every time I have tried that darn quest one of those three was the character. I do agree it was a nice change of pace quest but with more and more people boxing these days odds are others are bound to run into this same issue which could be resolved in the future by adding an item to base the clues on instead of character info.