Idea: Expand /Autoskill Function

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Nov 12, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The number of buttons is INSANE. It's intimidating. It's ridiculous. I have 11 hotbars open and they are all FULL. Most of them are AA, Skills, Discs, and abilities.

Since we're all using spam bars and /autoskill exists, what about expanding on /autoskill and be able to add any AA, Skill, Ability, or Spell to /autoskill?

This cuts down on visible UI elements, and eliminates the PRESS-PRESS-PRESS-PRESS-PRESS-PRESS-PRESS-PRESS-PRESS-PRESS of the spam bar hotkey. It also reduces player fatigue.

I would ask that you give us an additional window to manage it.

Thoughts?
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

I thought I had a lot with 6...
    I think it would be great if they revamped macros, much like what existed in SW:G. Then you could build your rotations without having to constantly press buttons to keep stuff on cooldown. Yes, I know that certain unnamed things can do this, but if we had the option in game, that would be pretty awesome.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

No, learn to play the game and stop automating it.
    Zaray and Andarriel like this.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

I am pretty sure with 11 hotbars open, Bandwidth probably knows how to play the game.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

What I would really love is making the hot buttons on socials so you can tie the depressed time to an AA/Disc/Abililty/etc. timer.

So, for example, I have a hot button for

/dismount
    /doability 4

this is to dismount and feign death on my monk, since monks cannot FD while on a mount.. However, the button does not stay depressed until FD is ready again. Adding a timer is, of course, possible, however some actions cannot be timed exactly, if for example, the ability fails and is reset.

The other issue with timers is that it locks you into that action until the timer is done.

The entire social macro system could use an overhaul.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  6. KrakenReality Augur

It doesn't take 11 hotbars to play this game. BW is overcluttering their hotbars with useless buttons.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

what class need 11 hotbars geez? when i play my ranger i do everything manually no macros or anything and all is well.

Andarriel
  8. Windance Augur

The issue with an 'autoskill' is they generally fire any time they are ready and some skills you want to have performed in order.

Using spam keys tied to hotkey banks seems to be the best way to handle keeping those 20-30-40 things going as fast a possible, and giving you some control over the order in which they get used.

There is probably room for improvement but your likely to get shouted down by posters saying there is a perfectly good system already in place and just get good at using it or go use that other stuff folks refer to.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  9. Lianeb Augur

I thought I read somewhere they revamped hotbuttons to cast all things at the same time unless you had pauses?
    Which I assume most don't
  10. KrakenReality Augur

The OP offered no additional information outside saying expand auto-skills. What other things are they wanting on the list? It's on the OP to at least provide some actual feedback outside saying they having 11 full hotbars.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Tell us how you really feel. :)
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It's pretty simple. If you play EQ at the high end, you understand that there's a LOT of buttons to press.

I like having every skill, disc, ability, macro, and clicky visible to me. That's why I have 11 hotbars. I don't necessarily use them all, some hardly ever, but being able to access them should the need arise is important to my gameplay. I use a spam key like anyone else who wants relief from the whack-a-mole gameplay in order to maximize their character's effectiveness. There are definitely some things that would need to stay off of /autoskill, but many that could exist happily in that feature.

/autoskill has many limitations, but implementation of some other items should be within the realm of technical feasibility. Which is why I stated /autoskill.

My actual request if I thought it had ANY chance of implementation would be:

1) Massive AA consolidation to reduce similar/redundant abilities or make those abilities innately fire.
    2) Overhaul of the macro system to be much more customizable.

Just sharing ideas. If you hate them, that's okay. I won't stop trying. ;)
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can do /timer<time> to to simulate a cooldown on a hotkey and it will still allow you to hit other hotkeys including the one with the timer without having to wait until it is up. As an example I have /timer 1800 on a key to set a 3 minute cooldown timer.
  14. The real Sandaormo Augur

15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Don't ask me questions. Just agree with me so I can buff my ego!
    Tatanka likes this.
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yes, I use that. But, as I mentioned, it is a timer that has no actual relationship with the ability. What I would want to be able to set the button timer to match an ability. So when the ability (disc, whatever) is ready, then the button is up, but if it is not ready then the button is down.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As long as you are only activating the ability from that hotkey it will be up when the timer is up. You can set up a hotkey to trigger multiple abilities with different timers so EQ can't determine which to use. As far as I am aware zoning is would mess it up but that is about it.
  18. KrakenReality Augur

All the AA consolidation has sucked.
    Macro overhaul would be cool, but I can’t imagine they have time for that.

Also, if you’re really a high end player move some stuff over to GINA and do a better job deciding the information to access in your UI. It’s a 100% you problem, if you’re maxing out 110 slots, plus 13 spell gems, and 8 combat discs.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

:oops: Sorry you feel that way. I'll count your vote squarely in teh "Don't move my cheese" column.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Again, I use the /timer command and know how it works. I also know how it doesn't work. It does not have any real relationship with the ability.

As for multiple abilities using the same hotkey, yes, I thought of that. The answer is to make a /timer command where you pick which ability timer works on the hot button.

So, for example a social with all of these lines:

/dismount
    /doability 4,/buttonaction
    /doability 5
    /doability 6

would make the hot button be up when the doability 4 is ready and down when it is not, regardless of doability 5 and 6.

Another command would be:

/buttonaction doability 3

This one would have the button up and down based on the doability readiness whether or not it that doability is even used in the social.

Also:

/buttonaction discipline Drunken Monkey Style

would be up when Drunken Monkey Style discipline is ready and down when it is not. There are many instances when you want a button to be up or down based on whether something is ready or not.
    Ssdar likes this.