I truly believe Phinigel will lose a lot of players after PoP ends.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sillyfish, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Sillyfish Elder

For many, PoP was the end of the Classic EQ experience. After this expansion features and content were added that a lot of people who were around at this time did not enjoy, agree with or want. It is my opinion that when this expansion moves on to the next, people will stop playing and the demand for another server will emerge.

Personally, I think 3 month content unlocks are too fast. 4 would be better. Lets face it, this game is about character development. While 3 months might be enough time to develop one character, it is nigh impossible for some of us to develop more than that. I simply don't have the time with work and family to make an alt and I would very much like to. The diversity of the classes is one of the reasons this game is so enjoyable.

So, for me, 4 month unlocks, same rules on boxing, same exp curve etc. Just add a month to the unlock and make the server when PoP ends. Hell, you guys make a ton of money off these things. What's not to like?
    Taladir and Grisnkh like this.
  2. Soltara Augur

Just. Stop.
  3. Machen New Member

Are you planning to stop playing on Phinigel after PoP?

Anyone else? Especially people not posting on new member accounts? Post here if so, I am curious.
  4. Gafgarion Elder

No one cares, bro. You can quit Phinny if you want.
  5. Ootax Augur

I'll bite on this. I don't think a lot of players will quit after PoP ends. I think there will be a gradual decline over the course of PoP just because it's so long. Yes it was a popular expansion back in the day but it also was hard back then. Now it's all just to easy and people will get bored. I hope I'm wrong but I just think 6 months of PoP will wear on people and we may even see a bounce up in population once PoP ends from those to got to bored.
    MaxTheLion likes this.
  6. Sillyfish Elder

So much salt in this thread.

I don't care if you don't agree with me. If you are tired of new server threads, don't click on them. The only decent poster so far was Ootax because he actually wrote something worth reading.

And just because this account has low post count to qualify for new member, doesn't mean it's actually new. <3
  7. Sillyfish Elder

You. First.
  8. taliefer Augur

4 months of velious was abysmal.

luclin wasnt so bad, still dragged at the end.

the later expansions have *much* more options for character advancement than early era eq. could use more than 3 months once we get to tss and beyond
  9. Turha New Member

What you aren't taking into consideration is the current nature of the server.

there are 15-20 top end guilds on the server raiding IN ERA CONTENT. When pop was first released, you had 2-3 guilds TOPS at the top end of a server cause of open world contesting.

PoP was followed by GoD which was a very polarizing Expansion because most people needed VT-> time gear to even group up in this content. It wasn't easy. It catered to the very top end of a server which was 4-5 guilds at the time so the casual player base couldn't rightly experience it.

This certainly isn't the case now, I mean elemental groups seem to be quite plentiful and we are only 3 weeks into the expansion. This is a whole other animal we are dealing with as a server and thus we probably can't predict how it will progress in terms of population.

Most people I've talked to love the pace the server moves at and look forward to each piece of new content and are having the best time in EQ that they've experienced in years
  10. Grisnkh Lorekeeper

I agree with the op. Add bst and zerker to the new server with a Kunark start. I know quite a few that plan on going to new server. Until then, they will not let their intentions be known to present guilds.
  11. AgentofChange Augur

Half the people believe it's too fast, the other half believe it's too slow. At the end of the day, if you're quitting because of 1 month difference, you didn't actually want to play this game anyway and are just looking for an excuse to leave.
    Kaponen and Soltara like this.
  12. Sdoofbuc Augur

Not me.

I personally am waiting for TSS and 75+ content. I missed everything from 75 to 105. That is what I want to raid. Just keeping my toon half way decent until then.
  13. snailish Augur

Phinny is holding its population through PoP better than any prior progression server.

PoP does look like it will have at least some of the traditional guild breaking, casual isolating impact... but there are 20+ raiding guilds that are going to survive/thrive through this. This raiding core is poised to make it in numbers to at least SoD, when past progression servers tended to be down to 1 serious guild by the later expacs.

However, that is not to say that Phinny won't have lost enough classic-Luclin only, casuals and family guilds by GoD launch to support an entire new server. If that server was 4 or 5 month unlocks, rest of Phinny rules but with Lockjaw/Ragefire XP then I think there is a money-maker waiting in the wings. Such a server wouldn't appeal to that many serious raiders, but then most of them will happily stay on Phinny/Lockjaw/Ragefire where they are established in success already.

Does the summer 2017 new progression server recognize this? I'm predicting yes.
  14. Iowna New Member

We have six months of Planes of Power..
    With Plane of Time being the endgame zone for gear.

People will be leaving before the end of that.

LDoN does not add any AAs..
    And many people are at the cap for AAs already, three weeks into the expansion.
    Which leaves the only thing for them to do is raid, tradeskill, or level an alt.

I purposefully did not max my level 60 XP again, or bank any AAs due to this.
    But, I am only like 200 AAs away from maxing everything.
    And even at 10 AAs a week, I would hit that cap before GoD comes into play.
  15. Warlorf Augur

Oh look! its a Doomsday prophecy thread again!

In all honesty, if people leave, oh well. Most will stay.
  16. Seraphix Elder

I actually think the server will remain healthy for some time, IF they eventually raise the experience modifier. There's really no reason not to increase it at this point, at the very least 1-60. I'm trying to level an alt since my main is a Druid and even with the PL help, it's just mind-numbingly slow. People will tire of their main.
  17. Sdoofbuc Augur

Phinny could lose 75% of it's player base and still have 5-6 guilds doing in era, end game content. That would still leave Phinny as the most popular server.

While I do agree some people may quit after PoP. I don't think its anywhere near as many as OP thinks it will be.
  18. Healbro Elder

There's literally 20 flippin raid guilds on the server right now. HALF the server could quit tomorrow and it'd still have a VERY healthy population. People freaking out that the servers gonna be dead before GoD or before OoW are out of their minds.
  19. Kiani Augur

I'm enjoying PoP, but looking forward to seeing what GoD is like these days. I don't plan to quit.
  20. Stormblossom Elder

I doubt it. The long term value of LDoN era raid augs is clear enough to keep many folks hunting. Some of the raiders actively try to help folks who did not advance as fast, and hitting the raid content is guaranteed if you have a force. It is amazing seeing what old EQ coud have been minus progress blocking by the top tier. Outside of a few bad apples the community is even fairly non toxic. It has been a hell of a ride so far. Hoping to actually finally raid content I missed during burnout from top tier on call raiding when everything was contested.