I. S. Boxer. Is this illegal ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Whulfgar Augur

I.S. Boxer is a program I've recently heard about, where you are able to operate as many toons as you want to play from 1 screen.

My question is simply put. Is this os .. Against Eula ?

I'd love to have a Dev answer this to settle the debate. Thanks.
  2. Falos Augur

It's one of those things that isnt "supported" by sony but also not against any rules. I believe the only programs that are against the rules / people get punished for are the ones that give someone a performance advantage within the game world allowing them to do things they would not be able to legitimately do otherwise.

A program that basically manages system resources and reduces the burden on your computer + allows you to tab between accounts more easily is totally acceptable as far as i know. You are still physically playing the characters and not utilizing any abilities that would give you a huge edge over other players.
  3. JERUS Augur

I can't say 100% whether it is ok or not. Personally I have been using wineq for years though. I know many others that use IS Boxer and I've NEVER heard of anyone having any issues because of it.
  4. EverChanter Augur

I believe it was posted in the last forums that it was alright to use iso and wineq, but than if you try to talk about them Piestro is all "shhhhhhh!" on it
  5. Whulfgar Augur

Ty peeps, I am looking for a Dev or higher to say yes it is or no it is not, for a Divinitive answer so as to know that it is .. or is not legal.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What Falos said. Though I would say that if people know you are boxing it could look to them that you are using other programs which are considered illegal with regard to the EULA. So I would advise you to be prepared to be falsely accused of cheating occasionally. If one of the Dev's don't speak up in the next few days you might PM Piestro and ask him to look into it for a yay or nay on it.

I would not expect any "Definitive answer" at best you are going to get told a mix of what Falos and the rest of us have said. The Dev's have learned to try to avoid making any kind of statement which cannot be reversed in the future if the need arises.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  7. Siddar Augur

My guess is some of stuff in the final three is bannable.
    • Configure your game and hardware
      • Manage your CPUs and GPUs (video cards)
      • Program your input devices
      • Use different game settings, such as graphics levels, per window
    • See your game windows and important details within them
      • Organize your game windows into a custom layout, with instant re-arrangement when switching windows. Choose from many layouts specifically generated for your team on your monitors, or create your own!
      • Optimize your screen space with widgets that show live views from other windows in your main window, or even on a blank canvas on an extra monitor!
    • Interact with your games
      • Clone your mouse clicks and keystrokes to some or all windows, exactly as you perform them, including a visible mouse cursor in every window while in broadcasting mode!
      • Build your own multiboxing interface with widgets in the game window, including live fully interactive views from other windows, buttons and indicator icons, and areas that automatically pass mouse clicks to other windows!
      • Map your keys for multiboxing with a highly configurable mapping system, not only for passing keystrokes but also for adjusting widgets, switching windows, modifying other mappings, and oh so much more!
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Sony has replied to people before on this, and said it's not. You aren't automating anything, you still have to be at the keys, you still have to be pushing a key to cast a spell etc. The only thing it's doing is removing the "alt tab" from your boxing.

This is nothing like the "other program" that lets you automate things like healing, tanking, pulling etc.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Numiko Augur

do you really need this? I just use the regular EQ (only one install) and 4 Box on one screen with no lag.

and one day just for fun made a bunch of free accounts to see how many I could get on at the same time.. I gave up after logging in 12 accounts .... though I will admit at 12 it was getting a bit laggy.
  10. Ganadwen New Member

How do you 4 box on one screen and not lag out all the non-selected toons?

I've tried simply 2 boxing on one screen and my non-selected toon, who is supposed to be auto-following my main, runs off on his own..
  11. Thash Zoner

In the advanced display options, set the background fps above cpu minimum. I believe this is what did it for me.
    Leerah likes this.
  12. JERUS Augur

IIRC there's an option for backtground FPS, you need tot urn that up otherwise the instances in the background will stop processing fast enough to use autofollow. Although even with it turned upit's still fickle iirc. I haven't boxed in a while =b
  13. Leerah Augur

14. ITPalg New Member

All you needed to do was search the forums to find the many posts already talking about this.
  15. Piestro Augur

It is not in and of itself against our rules. It can be used, especially in conjunction with other programs, to violate rules. And for Everchanter's benefit I will include an obligatory "shhhhhhh!"
    Quatr and Shanaie like this.
  16. obelix Lorekeeper

i play 3 on same computer , /auto follow was so bad , even if i was playing only 2 toons only.

someone posted something about this several months ago and i tried it , and it's like day and night now , /follow work MUCH better . i was using coh to move my toons, but now i can /follow np.

if you want to try :
    from option / display / advance video setting :

default is = max frame per seconds unlimited ----------> try 30%
    max background FPS minimum -----------> try 55
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HE WAS ALSO TALKING ABOUT SETTING THE STREAM ITEM TEXTURES TO ON (DEFAULT IS OFF ), CAN HELP ALSO FOR THE /FOLLOW ...
    AND SEEM TO REDUCE THE ZONING TIME ALSO. I AM USING THIS SINCE NOW.
    PS: BTW I AM NOT USING ANY PROGRAM , I AM PLAYING ON WINDOWED MODE (FULL SCREEN ) AND JUST CLICK THE EQ ICON ON TASK BAR.....ONCE USED AT THIS IT GOES PRETTY FAST. WELL I AMPLAYING CASTERS MAINLY ,SO IT'S MUCH FASTER THAN HAVING TO PLACE MELEE IN RANGE TO ATTACK, HOTKEY'S FTW ~~~~~~ :)
    Leerah likes this.
  17. Toquillaw Augur

My wife and I both use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] for EQ all the time. Like others have said, there is no automation of the game but rather simply making boxing easier. You still have to press the keys and be there, and set it up so that pressing a key heals from one character but nukes from another (or whatever you want each key you press to do in each window).
    So it adds a level of complexity while also removing a level. Overall, it's splendid.

And the single best thing about it is when any random window crashes [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] can just reload that one again. I might have 6 accounts on one computer running, if two crash at once, its so easy to get just those two back up and running. It remembers the account name, and each window has it's own ini files so you can do all sorts of customization if you want.

It's also especially useful if you are disabled. I have a mangled right hand, so [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] makes it much more acceptable to multiple instances of EQ.
    Leerah likes this.
  18. Numiko Augur

Autofollow?

I have a Druid and a Mage in my group... ports and CoH is all I need!!

and as others have said there is an setting in options to keep the background characters running at full speed.

I also have a decent computer, a overclocked I5 with a 560Ti and 16 gigs of ram and have a 100 meg/sec internet connection, im sure that helps some on cutting lag.
    DamnataAnimus likes this.
  19. Uxtalzon Augur

I don't see why it isn't condoned, the way I see it.

Being able to box more means more possible revenue for SoE, which is what they care about. I personally can't box more than two players (just so I can grab a group mission nowadays) and just my principle not to pay for more than one account, but some guildmates would jump at the chance to pay for another account should they be able to play it efficiently without the crashes and slowed crap.
  20. Leerah Augur

And good autofollow!