I just cancelled three accounts :)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Herf, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I've never advocated for it.
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

28-31 days in a month, 12 months in a year, 4 months of that year when quarterly, 2 months when bi-annual, 1 month when annual. Which of those is hardest to remember for multiple accounts?

I have one that renews on the 9th and one on the 13th, sometimes I forget or get them mixed up. But I pay monthly, so only the day matters, it will happen every month. It also doesn't really matter to me until I need to cancel, otherwise the date of the claim is all I care about.

I was simply making the point that depending on your renewal cadence, knowing the day could solve most of the problem. As I said in another post, I'd prefer they show it in the launcher, but also understand why they may not be able to at this time, or why it may not be worth working on in the current launcher.
  3. Zanarnar Augur

assuming for a moment that there is nothing else but the day of the month and if you claimed it that month in the data now, here is the fix:

Have whatever code wrote the day of the month to whatever data the marketplace reads add one more field, number of months remaining. Then have the client take renew date * months remaining to show the correct renewal date.

Its been part of the client for ages, the decision to take time to remove it -vs- a little more time to fix it properly.. /shrug/ seems like there is more to it then just the extra maybe hour or two to fix it proper over removing it.
    cadres likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

All those who pay with Krono. Do this. On the first day of the month...pay up. Doesn't matter when your bill date really is - just go ahead an pay up.

You might get off kilter 7 times during the year but would be rare unless your bill date is the first :D

If you want to skip a month that's fine.

Those of us on auto pay with credit cards don't need to do anything

You can manipulate the billing from DPG anyway you want.
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. Tappin Augur

It’s 2021. There’s no reason that I can’t easily check when my subscription is due, and it should correctly display that instance of it. If the devs can’t figure out how to code that, then they have no business working on this game.
    cadres and Metanis like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can if you log into their billing website. Just because you can't check it in game while you are playing doesn't mean you can't check it at all.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Brilliant!
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I did two-year once. Pretty sure it was $1,200 for 6 accounts.
  9. Tappin Augur

Having to deal with that Crapcha poop every time I want see an account standing? I don’t have to deal that with my bank account... Why EQ?
    Herf and cadres like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you online bank you should absolutely use 2-factor authentication, I have that on my bank, paypal & amazon account - those 3 things get targetted by scammers all the time.

Captcha are universally terrible though, on that we agree, though the ones for EQ accounts and the forum are probably among the least obnoxious I have used.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Every time? I get it about 10% of the time.
  12. cadres Augur

I know nothing about code. I've been around enough coders who put in/take out lines of code for a specific function all the time, all day every day. Takes seconds. Now maybe this is special code that cannot just be reinserted. If you know this to be the case, then I bow to your superior knowledge.

This feature was not 'bugged' it was slightly less than perfectly accurate - especially if you stayed logged in for days at a time. If they start deleting everything that doesn't work perfectly all the time in all situations, there won't be a lot of game left!
    Personally, I think there should be consultation before removing things that some people really like/find valuable (whether or not I personally like/use them). We would have lost a lot fewer players over the years if this had happened.

What is wrong with calendar? I sit next to a very expensive computer 16 hours a day. I do not wish to dig out a manky old mobile to keep records and have to boot up/look at another screen - it seems insane that I should have to, to play a computer game.

(I am so glad you know so much about my personal housekeeping - pray tell what are these other bills I need to keep track of that I seem to be blissfully unaware of?)
  13. cadres Augur

Exactly.
    The pictures are terrible (tick all the ones with cars - is that blurry thing a car?); they are written for americans (I had to google 'crosswalk' and many more) and the website takes forever to load. Not a website I want to be visiting any more than absolutely necessary
    (I can write a 1k word technical report in the time it takes me to get this basic info - I know because I've done it many times)
    Looking at 'days remaining' on the inventory window I have in front of me all the time was rather more straightforward
    Herf likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you know nothing of code you shouldn't be making claims of how easy something is to do. Just because some things are similar does not mean they take the same amount of effort to do.

Also not always accurate means it is bugged. If it is working correctly it will always be accurate.

And there is nothing wrong with waiting for a notification on a phone a little while before your accounts renew to know it is going to happen. There is no need to worry about checking your phone daily as it will alert you when it is time.
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. cadres Augur

But for some reason you are confident to assert that this is *not* a trivial job? How come?

'accurate' is subjective. Most things that most of us use most of the time are 'accurate enough'. Even day to day medical; equipment is 'accurate enough'. This was 'accurate enough' for my needs.

I think there *is* something wrong with needing an additional device to know when my account is due. You seem to be making assumptions about how others live/play etc. I don't use a mobile more than once every few months. YMMV. There's an old saying about walking a mile in another man's moccasins....
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am not, but the EQ coding team is and that is exactly what they stated it was when they announced it was being removed. Personally I would trust their judgement on how easy or hard it is as they know what needs to be done.
  17. Herf Augur

A quick follow up: on my 3 accounts I had 3 different payment plans, depending on how much money I had at the time I started the new account, and how sure I was that I would continue to play it.
  18. Khat_Nip Meow

So write it down and keep it under your keyboard. This has the advantage that you can look at it even when not logged in. As a bonus, you could make another copy and put it in your wallet when you're away from home.
  19. cadres Augur

No.
    They said it was too hard to fix
    I did not see (very happy for you to prove me wrong) any statement whatsoever that suggested it was difficult to reinstate this utility as it was.
    I have at no point opined about how hard or not it is to fix this 'problem'
    You seem to just want to shout at people with whom you disagree - even though you disagree with something they didn't actually say
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As you have correctly stated they said it was too hard to fix. They have also stated that they don't want to add it back in as it is broken and not always reporting accurate information. What is so hard to understand about not wanting to display bad subscription information in game?
    Niskin likes this.