I hope this is the last expansion...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Bigbear Augur

as of right now by looking at the status of soe servers EQ2 has 16 servers with 2 high population servers and EQ1 has 17 with 6 being high population... plus EQ1 has the most servers of any of their games ...so sorry but EQ1 isnt going anywhere for a long long time and its only 621pm central right now....soon EQ1 will have about 11 or 12 high population servers like usual

i know that this expansion is small and lacking as compared to some but $40 or $60 for a collectors really isnt that big of a deal... if it means that we can keep getting new expansions every year then i dont mind at all

i personally wish that they would make all future expansions more like they did RoF though... with the one exception of having a better t4 release...
  2. Bigbear Augur

EQ1 up to 8 high population servers now...its so not going anywhere for many years to come
  3. Tharrg Augur

I still like to know what they mean by "High" Population... Does that mean there are 100people on? Does it mean 1000 are on. How many are in Bazaar? This is why I wish SOE would bring back the numbers on servers so we can see...
    Leerah likes this.
  4. Bigbear Augur

that would be nice if they would...but until we know those numbers i will take all the "high" population servers as a good sign that EQ1 is still thriving
  5. Usullx Lorekeeper

This game is a giant cash register, its such a great register that other SoE games dip into it for funding. This game is no where near ending.
  6. Coldmouth Elder

I just returned to EQ... we all return to EQ :)

Hoping it goes to level 500!

Levels are just a number... all that matters is getting new content that we can progress through. As a level 89 I imagine I will be busy for a long time to come.
  7. Sashagray Journeyman

I know this will probably get flamed, but this is not sarcasm in anyway... If the content is drying up for you or the game is getting stale. Move to zek. Everquest pvp is hands down the most fun mmo pvp game out there. There's a lot you can learn about eq tht you would never even experience on a blue server, the zek server is healthier than it has been in years... So bring over that raid gear and round some people.. I promise you won't regret it!
    Elenwyyi likes this.
  8. Synisca Augur

I'm sure Sony would love to forego the money they are still making to satisfy your OCD tendancies, lol. :)
    Edrick likes this.
  9. BoomWalker Augur

Hardly. People still are stuck with this concept of "tiers" as the way to show progress...which isn't necessary nor valid at all.

This desire to show progress for a character is absolutely a great point!

To say that "tiers" is the 'logical' way of providing a means to progress characters is simply silly.

If 'tiers' were the 'logical' way of providing a means to progress characters then why do games use 'levels' to progress a character? Why are we not 'tiering' a toon to 'tier' 100?

Currently, the mindset of many in the community is that if the content doesn't have 4 tiers per expansion it isn't enough content. Also, it seems there has to 2 missions and 2 raids per zones to be enough content...at least. And of course there needs to be a number of kill and partisan tasks.

Instead, if there were story arcs and portions of those story arcs were made available each DLC ("tiers"?) and contained tasks, missions, raids...and some gear of course...would that mean since it isn't a "tier" it is not possible to 'progress' a toon? Clearly, if it isn't a 'tier' it won't work to 'progress'...

The dev team will have to come up with these story arcs and of course the gear, etc. to please those in the community that have to receive increased stats on gear to feel they are 'progressing' a toon. Doing it via 'tiered' content isn't the only way to progress a toon...regardless of what some think...nor is gear with +200 hps...or a new level. Giving toons abilities (aas? spells? clickies with effects? Something...) or even titles it seems...means a toon is 'progressing'...

Story arcs...not 'tiers'...the future of the MMORPGs....who knew...
    Leerah likes this.
  10. Ronak Augur

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not stuck on the word 'tier'. When considering new content, I'm looking at the following combinations of words:

Number of new zones.
    Number of new raids.
    Number of new missions.
    Number of new AA.
    Number of new spells.
    Number of new quests.
    Number of new items.

I don't even consider the word tier.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Ravengloome Augur

Your argument is silly. Theres obvious breakpoints in difficulty in any game. Typically in a single expansion theres multiple ramp ups, this is what designates it a "tier" system, kind of like easy medium hard. I cannot think of an MMO that doesn't have some sort of tiered system of difficulty.
  12. Battleaxe Augur

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not stuck on the word "number". When considering new content, I look at the following:

is the world getting disgustingly large - so big that there has to be portals to other worlds, undiscovered continents, multiple planes.

are raids so bad that unlike PoHate, PoTime, and ToV I can't bear the thought of doing them 50ish times?

do the devs think new missions with complications for the sake of complication is fun? No thanks - I'll take 6 basic plots, minor scenery changes, and new names for named opposition IF those 6 events are well (like a Swiss watch) crafted. Kill dragon, save Princess, $$$ never gets old.

if quests are more or less scavenger hunts to take up when you are in the mood to do a scavenger hunt it's all good. I have no need to do 6 Search For The Holy Grail quests a year. Even Knights of the Round Table didn't have to put up with that. In your whole career you serch for the Grail for awhile, off the Green Knight, and then it's back to the manor and routine brigand bashing.

finally I want items to have greater permanence. All this new items stuff 2-4 times a years absolutely ruins the game. Aye this is my sword Stinger, Slash, Arrundel, Flicker, ..., Goatstabber. It's been with me for 10 long minutes. Nod it does look like an electrocuted canary dipped in pearlescent lacquer - that's the latest fashion!
    Leerah likes this.
  13. Edrick Augur

3 is a nice number. There are 3 pages in this thread. It's the number most parents count down to when a child is misbehaving. It's not too much, and not too little. It's a nice number of friends to have together so conversations don't go stale. It's the closest integer to a very important number, pi. It's the number of end points any triangle has.

That said, I think it's time to retire this thread. It is 3 pages long. It's had a good run, and there are so many high notes to end it on, and the number is appropriate. I'm glad to have been a part of this community, and now we can move on in our thread-posting lives to another thread, and hope it can live up to such a prestigious number like 3.
    Khat_Nip likes this.
  14. RagePaw Augur

Its an odd feeling knowing that only my weapon is worth upgrading in an expansion release. Ultimately it means i put most of my excitment into the new AA and skills, so when they dont appear until at best 6months into the cycle im completely unimpressed.
  15. Battleaxe Augur

BBut if people aren't lazy we can have 4. More is better!

(I've been busy for the last two years. As my granny used to say, "Enough is as good as a feast.")
  16. BoomWalker Augur

LOL...silly huh? The term 'tier' is ruining your lands...you will not ruin mine!!!!

And as for an MMORPG without a tiered system....go check out this site...

https://www.everquestnext.com/
  17. Bigbear Augur

well i will help to reach 4... i sure hope that once EQN goes live that we can have some of our resources back to make good expansions again
  18. Leerah Augur

I agree with the OP. This constant mudflation just to make you feel like you accomplished something is as shallow as Facebook games. He didn't say "shut EQ down." You can still have new zones to explore and still hang out with your friends. You don't always have to be grinding levels or AAs. Stop and smell the moss snake.
  19. Noirfu Augur

Those of us without OCD don't need to be controlled by you.

If you love base 10 numbers so much, just stop your own progression, not that of everyone else.

Just because new levels or content exist, there's no reason you need to pursue them. I for one have no interest in any "achievements" which don't improve the abilities of my characters.
  20. BoomWalker Augur

Sadly, it seems the dev team completely disagrees with this concept of permanence. In fact, they don't want the epic weapons to be useful anymore since they should not last 'forever' ....

Agree that it would be a lot nicer to have a weapon and gear you can hold on to for longer...but that would require a significant amount of independent thought and some original thinking on the part of the dev team to come up with a concept like making gear you can customize with some sort of augment system that lets you tailor the gear to your playstyle...while having it be the same base piece of gear.

Perhaps gear that you can give specific features to meet your needs.....