I have to beat the expansion and get 50%xp in a level to wear the gear?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ROFL@mycorpse, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Tappin Augur

I was not calling for nerf either. One was on the way, and I did not another Gribbles.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Allayna can speak for herself.

I am tempted to mention the following examples of high xp reward: Deathfist Orc Belts (Freeport), Crushbone Belts (Kelethin), and Bone Chips (Kaladim) as major experience/rewards quests in Classic EQ. I am also fairly sure Plane of Sky quests, VP/VT keys, epics 1.0-2.0, shawl/ring quests (Velious) were major boosters.

It's kind of ironic that you don't have access to TBL and ToV but GMM has been nerfed to the ground.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am expecting Velious 2.0 Part 2 to be more like a mix of RoS and TBL (harder and slightly more progression heavy). The req 115 T2 items likely reflects a new model learned from the EoK/RoS two-part experiment. It's not necessarily about casuals complaining but rather people not understanding the new expansion model.
  4. Tappin Augur

The majority of groupers did not repeat of any of these quest for exp. I myself received a ban for repeating Bone Chips (Kaladim).

Repeating the VP and ST quest was required since the items remained on your corpse. If you died in those zones, you had no way back in.

No one that I know repeated epic 1.0 for exp during Kunark and SoV (that would be the definition of insanity).

Outside one offs and things people got banned for, the majority groupers were not repeating quest for exp. That's a more modern addition to EQ and you know it. QED.
    scaethach and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  5. Hitty Augur

lol...
    banned for Kaladim quest, one of THE beginners quest in the classic servers...
    Cannot believe that. Banning somebody from doing quests more than once and it should not be allowed for xp is easy to program for a dev. If a company would do so, nobody takes that crap for serious anymore...

You surely automated things and thats a ban for, but not for doing Kaladim quest more often... what a crap..sorry.. that is not at all QED, that is your personal story...and your personal way to exploit things...

but I would not be surprised if you "removed you from others friends list" in other areas like in your post for the GMM nerf...which made you not many friends... :confused:

Rarely reading such a bs...
    svann and Benito like this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Wrong. The majority of groupers collected Deathfist/Crushbone Belts, Gnoll Scalps, and Bone Chips to repeat those quests for experience. There was a large market (EC, Gfay, NFP) for those quest items in order to speed up level gain. The Bone Chips quest itself was not nerfed until 2016 according to Allakhazam.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=366

The reference to epics and keys points to major one-off experience gains in EQ history (similar to ToV achievements - which you don't own and probably don't understand).

Key requirements (VP, ST, VT) and PoP-GoD flagging system points to the relevance of progression even in EQ's earliest days.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Allayna Augur

The majority of the experience in TOV is from one offs. You do the champion, partisan, mercenary, hero, etc the FIRST time and you receive a massive amount of experience. No one is grinding them out for the experience. Now the coin from Hero's on the other hand...
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, svann and Yinla like this.
  8. SenorCardgage New Member

Since you were so tempted to mention those examples, could you be equally as tempted to mention when mob experience for the entire expansion had been whittled down so much as to make those quests the only viable way of leveling at anything more than a snails pace?

More specifically, are there any examples of the quest-to-mob experience ratio being as lopsided in favor of quest xp as it currently is in ToV? If so, how many examples are there and how well received were they by the overall community?

As someone who hadn't started playing until relatively recently, I'd be interested to see how the circumstances surrounding the aforementioned high xp quests stack up against the circumstances surrounding the current ToV scheme and whether or not they're directly comparable.
  9. ROFL@mycorpse Journeyman

All of these examples of xp quest. During the classic EQ there was no level requirements.

So there was no requirement to turn in belts for xp.

The required level for tier 2 and tradeskill gear needs to be 111. This is the only group gear in the expansion. The tier 1 gear is not wearable since it has no luck.

It is pointless to talk about the xp quest being viable. The reason xp quest are mentioned in this thread is because they have become a requirement to wear the gear from the expansion.

It is rediculous to have to fully beat the expansion just to put on the gear.

We all know that this xp change will not effect mearatas guilds and the first guilds to raid ToV. It will only effect those guilds struggling in TBL who raid an expansion behind.

So instead of raiding expansion old content I suggest to form raids and raid the grouping content that drops the chase items. You shouldn't die on the grouping content in a raid. You won't notice the change in xp from being in a raid or a group and you'll get raid gear from last expansion.
  10. Tappin Augur

Forced progression in order to level has never been apart of EQ until ToV. Those achievements are not one offs, They are carrots. Carrots to get people do progression.The biggest carrot of them all is the title of this thread.

Again you are wrong. Repeating the bone chip quest was considered to be an exploit back in the day. I was banned as well as a friend.
  11. svann Augur

Current TOV mob xp is very much like original EQ mob xp. It was slow.
    Vumad, Allayna, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

People are not forced to do progression, in fact it's exactly the opposite. the XP bump just makes progression worth doing ONCE. The progression quests are reportedly easy enough that a casual can knock them out and get the big XP bump if they want to.

but if you REALLY want to discuss what "eq has always been about" lets go back to kunark era where people grinded for WEEKS just to get through the 50's. No heroic adventures to cycle and grind out the xp, just sitting in 1 or 2 rooms killing frogs or mushroom men for days and hours long corpse runs without your gear were an actual thing...

everything about EQ is easymode right now, and still you're whining because a casual can't finish the expansion in a week. this whole expansion has been catered to you and it's never going to be enough because you actually have to "do stuff".
    Allayna likes this.
  13. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

it doesn't, and they don't have to. nothing, access wise, in this expansion is locked behind progression.
  14. Laronk Augur

ROF had really good first time completion exp, people used to sell uf and hot missions but they got nerfed
    Benito likes this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It's pointless to argue with Tappin. He admits to not owning TBL-ToV.

They could do all merc tasks (relatively simply kill or collect 6-8) to gain 2 levels and grind out the rest but that wouldn't be enough for these people.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

As did Seeds of Destruction, /bangs head on desk thinking about Kithicor mission.
  17. Tappin Augur

The only level that I spent more than week getting through (since 1999 and besides ToV) is 59. Slow exp is not the problem, it's the carrots that place on progression style quest. If those were not there, It's all good (not a request).

There isn't a choice for groupers, when it takes 24-48+ hours of grind for one level. You either do the progression or you might hit 115 by next christmas.

This is poor game design by the development team period. No one should be forced to do anything they do not want to do as the only viable method of advancement.

One more thing. You can easily finish the expansion on less than week (not raids). if you just do the progression. Someone has already done it in 3 days.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It probably has more to do with what they learned about itemization from EoK-RoS (limiting stat bloat and re-gearing) than "forcing" players to complete progression. You can pick and choose easy ToV achievements and grind the rest of the way to max level. T2 gear is probably designed to bridge ToV Part 1 with ToV Part 2. ToV Part 2 will be more like TBL (hard AF).

Additionally, with limited resources, the devs want to prolong expansion content (creating a need to reach 115). They wanted to make the expansion easier but letting casuals quickly gear up to T2 within the first month and "hibernate" until the next expansion is not their intent. You can either have hard expansions (TBL) and relatively easy access to gear (i.e. farming Mearatas for Battleworn) or easy expansions (ToV) and harder access to gear.
  19. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

people who optimize their experience will always finish fast. normally there's people who finish everything within 2-3 days... that's the same with every expansion, it's not unique to ToV. the first person to 115 did it in less than 24 hours... the first to 110 was *gasp* less than 24 hours.... wanna guess how quickly the first to 105 or 100 were done?

bottom line is nobody is forcing you to do the quests... they're incentivizing you to WANT to do them, sure.. but grinding is just as valid a way to get your levels, it'll just take longer.
  20. Windance Augur

I like the fact that they made XP rewards for the achievements significant.

Wish the XP in the new zone was a bit higher as this is the first expansion I can remember where it is better to go grind in an old zone.