I have returned probably 200 times in my 19 year EQ Career.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by TheDorfUnderlord, May 1, 2020.

1. TheDorfUnderlord New Member

Because I am not done. I see alot of posts here saying returning after 15 years, 18 years, and I always ask myself, how could someone just put an enormous amount of time into a game and just not even go back to it once in that long of a period in time? For example I got a rogue, pretty much done everything I could possibly do like epics, quests, tradeskill, hardcore raid gearing. But then I would start a shaman or a mage and wanna accomplish all that again. Take my super toon and wreck some old raid mob or farm goodies for new toons. The cycle is almost endless.

Recently I kinda returned again, and I accomplished one hell of a feat by obtaining every single epic 1.0 in the game. I was so happy and proud and I found I had absolutely not one soul to brag to... The feat became pretty sour after that. I see alot of folks start from scratch, I'm talking grinding from level 1 with a crappy toon who can't kill a moss snake without taking a dirt nap. I get it though, you all need a new server with people, a new friend list to replace the old one nobody is on.... But to me TLP is just one big big sword measuring contest, and if your parse is bad, you are trash. Live is just about how many boxes I can run etc, if you aren't boxing your own raids you are trash... I exaggerated a bit on both but that's my sentiment. I know great people still exist on both, I'm sure most reading this are those great people. Somehow I keep quitting about as many times as I return, it's like some lifelong morrass I'm destined to be in forever lol.

Anyway, I love this game, and I wish it was as fun as it was from day one, but times change. I wish I could have been more strong willed and just put it up for 15 years, and one day wake up and say " I wonder if EQ still exists? " "Wow it does!" So really I envy so many of you all.

Here's to another few decades weening off the EverCrack... Bottoms up!
  2. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

For me I was in the military so I did not always have a lot of time to play. If I was back in the barracks, sure. But a lot of the times I was out in the field training or deployed. I've also been homeless between then, been living pay check to paycheck to the penny literally at times. Internet and gaming were the furthest from my mind at times. Those days are thankfully long behind me and yet now with all that is going on with the Corona, hours have been cut at work, others have been laid off/furloughed so who knows what the future has in store.

I will say I loved Classic though. I looked forward to every waking free moment to play the game. When I was not playing and was not doing something extremely important or dangerous, I would think about how to continue playing in "their world". But then they tried to be like the new kids on the block and prices went up, core mechanics changed to make game play faster and easier and so did life for me and I am sure others in general.

I came back hoping for Classic, since I keep hearing progression servers. Apparently that is not happening for True to Classic. Either the code is lost, too hard to re-engineer or even after countless years of the masses asking, begging and even leaving because it wont or can not be re-activated, they simply do not see a benefit for it.

So where have I been? I've been around. If not physically, at least in spirit. ^^! I would also like to mention that I have always came back to EQ to "check in" on it. Even though I have played dozens of other MMORPGs, both free to play and paid for, and countless MUDs, EQ is still one of a kind. It's just a shame it has changed too much. I have no qualms with the new interface. But basics like Sense Heading starting at max and money having no weight and of course classes nerfed or made into cookie cutters and shadows of their former selves are not great aspects of the new era.
  3. Questoften32 Augur

Like the cat I always come back. Even when not playing. I check in the game to make sure all is well and all manner of thing might be well.

And Rather like a concerned friend, looking after one ''EQ1'' who is beset of the depredations and attempts of a tough old world and its hucksters, hacks and intellectual pimps. I sometimes stay.

I come and enjoy EQs company. I stay as a gracious and benevolent guest giving hundreds of dollars in tribute, over the duration in buying unneeded ''yet hopefully fun'' things, so its existence will always be considered needed by the uncaring, and supported in there eyes.

Then I do IRL things after playing in marathon bursts, like a star to burn out and rekindle each time. I then pick up the thread of my life again ''in full'' after another brief interlude, a sweet summer nights dream, with dear everquest, whom I metaphorically speaking, leave contently lying in bed, as I set off with a satisfied smile.

Of late, I have spent my time thus far 3 days going through all inventory, and fixing things to get started again, about 72 hours real time. Logging out and in switching characters like a loony. This is why I'm making and inventory sheet for next time with print out.

"I lost My Yetirum wrapped sleeves ''twink item'' over 24 hours without sleep, transferring them to another character or back and forth getting things right'' somehow on FV. I am super angry on that score.'' Took 12 hours looking in all inventory all banks characters and places. No good.

''And in this case, Like a Kobald setting on his treasure horde'' I wont give up on finding the sleeves, though.