I have never tried everquest, i come from Darkage of camelot

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Yems, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Yems New Member

Hello, i am yet to create my first character, what makes everquest different from other old mmos out there? :)

I instantly fell in love with the many choices of races and classes, i realise its and old game, but i want to at least give everquest a try, regardless of its age.

I think i would like to try out pvp, what server can you guys recommend, and any good guilds for total newbs?
  2. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Sad to say (from what I've heard) the PVP game doesn't get much lovin'.

There's no way to say everything there is to say about the game given its age and its evolution without writing a book. But if you wanna learn a bit about the background of EQ - here's a good video to watch.

3. Gana Augur

There's not really much of a PvP presence in EQ. Since you are a true EQ newb, I would try several classes to see which you like best. Once you have chosen your SK, then go through the tutorial (if it exists on your server). Use a tank merc for the first...oh, 50-60 levels (again, if it exists on your server). I like to level in Original and Kunark zones (mobs have fewer HPs and don't hit as hard), but most will tell you to follow the Hero's Path (or whatever it is called). Any server will have a guild that will help new players. Don't be afraid to ask questions as most players are happy to help. Welcome to Everquest.
    skattabrainz likes this.
  4. xmPradah Not a dude

What you chose, class and server wise, is going to largely depend on what you're looking to get out of the game, and your playstyle.
    If you're looking to socialize, a progression server may be the way to go - probably Mangler would be a good choice, since it's still only in the 2nd expansion and good population, and the progression is slower.
    If you're ok with a lower population on the server, give one of the live servers a try. Personally, my favorite is Brekt because it's a free trade server (very few items aren't tradable). Self progression, especially if you box, is more doable on live servers.
    I'd definitely recommend the tutorial and following the Hero's Journey if you chose live - this really helps new players get acquainted with the game... I've been playing (off and on) for amost 20 years, and I like the tutorial!
  5. Snack Augur

I played DAoC in the beginning (few months after release and quit before ToA). I felt that RvR was one of the best implementations of PvP I've ever dealt with in an MMOG. I played a couple Hibs up to L50 (only RR4 or 5), but I really dug it.

"Snack says something in a language you can't understand" would always get the blood flowing. Also really loved the dynamic of "ownership" of Darkness Falls.

All that being said -- a new progression server might be fun. If you played on an established server, it'd make the progression faster, but you'd be playing largely with no one else until you were up in the higher levels.
  6. onesong‘Baralku New Member

Why has noobody mentioned Zek server. All of the pvp servers that once existed, like Rallos Zek, Vallon Zek, Sullon Zek and others all merged into Zek in 2005. I don't think you get any loot from other players when they die anymore, but you might get pvp points--which you can spend on a special vendor. However, I don't think the pvp points are worthwhile anymore. There's about a 4-level limit to PvP. So if you're level 50, you can enter into PvP with anyone level 46 to 54. A lot of Everquest is now instanced, so that has ruined much of the open world PvP. I'm not aware if Everquest has added any special PvP instances. Mercenaries have also ruined a lot of the PvP, since tehy're so powerful. You're not going to find any RvR or extensive PvP gameplay like in DAOC. Because even in its heyday, PvP was secondary to PvE. This was always a PvE centered MMORPG.

I'm on the Zek server right now. I played there for some months in 2014-15 leveling a two-box. I'm not boxing anymore though. It's F2P, unlike some servers that require all access. Of course F2P has some restrictions, but it's an easy way to trial the game and also maybe get some PvP encounters for those interested.

Maybe the others posting here are concerned PvP will be too much for you, since EQ is hard to learn at first. But I think you're familiar with it and want it. Plus the population on Zek is fairly low. And moreso mercenaries are overpowered and should protect you at least until high levels

So that's my recommendation. Try it.
  7. skattabrainz Augur

I had a mix of friends in the MMO formative years. I was EQ but a few of my friends were DAoC. I didn't get into any pvp groove until Eve (which remains my other MMO to this day).

To me, if you want to try EQ, go with the PVE experience that it's best at. If you play on mangler (the slow-go progression server) you are sure to find lower level people (or higher level people leveling their alt). If you play on a live server you'll have to do some digging but there is a starter friendly guild on every server (Check Corwhyn's ad for his starter friendly guild on xegony, for example, the're great peeps).

Also, since it hasn't been mentioned, download brewall's maps. DAoC has a poop minimap but in EQ without a map mod there are some zones without ANY minimap. But with the map mod they are actually pretty good maps.

Welcome to Norrath mate
    Alekzandre and Shanarias like this.
  8. dubblestack Elder

I played daoc for a time your name looks familiar, pvp won't be like daoc at all. Basically its going to be a mostly pve game, its fun, you'll likely never run out of things to develop your character, random stuff to do. Expansions, achievements from doing missions, weapon ornaments.

Live servers can be a little dicey just cause nobody is low level, and its a lot to login and see the amount of stuff going on, not much guidance. But its fun for me. There is less guidance here than daoc, but it makes it fun once you figure it all out and choose a class you like.