I finally figured out why I don't like EQ post 70

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ultrazen, Feb 27, 2016.

1. code-zero Augur

What zones? Nobody powerlevels anything in any of the classic zones that aren't hotzones so I find this sort of hard to believe.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. MrMajestykx Augur

idk? I think he pretty much nailed it. was a big fan of his post there. just my 2cp
  3. Gnomeland Augur

The expansion that started this was actually Planes of Power. I think people don't remember it as such simply because Planes of Power was basically a raid expansion and had such a poor group game that you never used much of the content that was there. But those monsters in Plane of Fire, Water, etc. hit hard. This was the beginning of players not being able to take a hit unless they were a tank.

The cause for all this is actually the design of heal classes. In order for monsters to be challenging in Everquest they have to be able to out damage a group's ability to keep a tank up, but heal classes were getting too efficient, such that the old design of running players out of heals just wasn't working. In fact, when you think about how fast heal classes recover today, and how big their heals are, there is simply no way to run them out of resources. Thus the only challenge that could exist came from killing the player as fast as you're able to.

World of Warcraft developers understood this, which is why they tried to nerf heals a few expansions ago while increasing players health, so as to bring back a system where heal classes had to think about which heal to use and allowing players to survive a few dozen hits before going down. But the game quickly went back to the other system because of complaints about the combat being too "slow." Yet slow is how we'd describe the old Everquest combat system, and so to achieve it, ultimately what's needed is a complete nerf to all the heal classes and abilities, such that you go back to the old days where combat was all about efficiency, rather than being fast.
    Dre., AlmarsGuides and PrathunEQ like this.
  4. Aghinem Augur

I agree with this 110% - The OP can't even get beyond the 80s and then goes back to TLP. Rather than looking at whats wrong with the game or presuming so, maybe it should be addressed what the OP may be doing wrong. I had no problem getting to level 90 when it was current content during House of Thule, and with the HZ quests available in PoK plus the amount of better gear you can get now, it shouldn't be that difficult.
    Kolani likes this.
  5. Faana Augur

Why do you folks feel it's necessary to blow out someone else's candle to make yours burn brighter? He said it's hard for him. Hundreds of other people agree. Don't be asking what's wrong with us!

I hope you, Aghi and Maedhros are very happy together, enjoying the group game. I'm sure you won't miss us at all.
    Indrigoth likes this.
  6. Amor Augur

Hello pot, should I direct you to other threads so you can meet the kettle.
  7. MrMajestykx Augur

perhaps we wont miss those who want it handed to them? sorry but I think it requires a DEEP look inside if you cant get past level 80 in the game, sorry plenty of players have come and gone who have done so.
  8. Faana Augur

The brilliance of your defense of your arrogance is blinding!
    Indrigoth likes this.
  9. DeadRagarr Augur

Classic EQ is fun if you:
    1. Remove in game maps.
    2. Keep Raid instances
    Otherwise its an utter mess to be honest.

Modern EQ biggest issue for me:
    The hot bar bloat is so bad. Fills up way too much of the screen. I used to play a warrior and taking a break and coming back made me re-roll because I have zero idea on what these AA's do anymore. Being level 95 tank and having no ease back into the game is a very bad thing to put onto people <especially since there is no in game welcome back ease in system>.

Would love the ability to load up a /coming back 65 warrior / 70 warrior etc and it set up a *good* default UI and explain them so it isn't as big a head ache.

As for tank damage: It isn't THAT bad as you explain.
    Faana likes this.
  10. Movistar Journeyman

It is very upsetting that SOE never reinvested our money into Everquest. I just cant imagine what it would be like today if they had just taken a small portion and advertised. Its sad that they only take the money and reinvest in all these failed games. And EQ is still here running.
  11. Viper1 Augur

As the game progressed, and players got better and understood the game better, the only way for the devs to present meaningful challenges was to give the mobs the ability to kill a player really quickly and require the player to exhibit some twitch reflexes. Otherwise, we had already figured out how to not die by attrition.

For Kunark era, attrition was still dangerous. Anymore now, the only way a player is going to die is via insta-gib or from their own stupidity. So for non-stupid players, the only way to die, and thus have a feeling of being challenged, is for the mob to have a chance at insta-gibbing a player. If you allow a group to single pull all day long and NOT give the mob some chance of doing large spike damage to the tank, we would literally never die (and then we'd have more threads about how this game is too easy, etc.). Tank hp and mitigation levels are just too high to allow for slower paced fights to offer any challenge.

Regarding hotbar bloat: you really should be making macros that use multiple AA abilities at once and multibinding to cast DD and heal spells. I'm not usually one to tell someone "how to play their game" but in this case, it greatly simplifies the process if you can combine 5 AAs into 1 hotkey and cast 80% of your spells with one button.
  12. Faana Augur

he's right though. Warriors have like 90 hotkeys that they have to push quickly and flawlessly. Many of those could have been made innate.
  13. Faana Augur

That was during HoT, before all the xp nerfs. The hot zones are not so hot anymore and I'm not at the Temple's running your lesson for you.
  14. EQjesspaul99 New Member

'

You say the game is easy mode and then say people with quitter mentality are leaving because the game is not easy mode. I'm trying to determine do you think the game is easy or not? Gear makes it easy. Add gear to decrease difficulty and use lesser gear to make it harder. I agree with OP that being killed in 3 seconds is not how to make a game fun or challenging.
    moogs and Faana like this.
  15. code-zero Augur

Actually for an MMO the potential for being one rounded is the highest challenge
  16. Reval Augur

Surprise twist: The devs read it, and think that all of the authors really just wanted a double exp weekend, but don't know how to say it in a way that will work.
  17. Kolani Augur

Again, people who say there are no good zones in modern EQ don't have a character good enough to handle Somnium, Chapterhouse, Caverns of Endless Song or Al'Kabor's Nightmare, or they don't have the necessary social skills to group in those zones.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Faana Augur

You go parse the xp per kill in SS and get back to us.
  19. mackal Augur

What does XP have to do with their statement?
  20. Kolani Augur

There's nothing about xp there. The atmosphere and design of these is as good as any classic zones, and all you have as a rebuttal is a comment about the xp rate.