I can't see shadows...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

When shadows box is clicked and shadow far clip plane is on even adjusting it lower or higher with an Nvidia GPU, it works.

BUT with this new laptop I am trying.. it has an AMD GPU, shadows don't work.

Is / are shadows an Nvidia thing only ?

Thanks!
  2. Zigie Journeyman

Check your settings at the LAUNCHER before you click PLAY.
    The setup gear icon and video settings buttons, make sure EQ is set and recognizing the video card at the launcher before it launches the EQ game.

There are 2 places to control display settings.
    1st is at the launcher level that says whether to even load up certain assets into the game.
    2nd is the in game options that allow you to turn the enabled assets ON or OFF as desired.

But if you never told the patcher to allow them into your game in the first place, they wont be accessible. I've copied my EQ folder before, forgot to set READ ONLY off on all the copied files, and the video card on the 2nd computer never saved or updated into the launcher screen's settings so was trying to run EQ on the new PC using the old PCs graphics and setup.

Hope this helps some.
  3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Gear Icon (Game configuration) only shows shared GPU, not dedicated GPU.

1) Gear icon (Game configuration) check boxes after hitting NEXT all on. But shows CPU/GPU not dedicated GPU.

2) In game .. shadows on off, and shadow far clip plane

3) "But if you never told the patcher to allow them into your game in the first place"
    How do I do that?

In windows .. searching for ' graphics settings ' and putting both eqgame.exe and launchpad.exe to max performance.. I thought that starting the game and hitting the gear icon would solve this only showing the CPU/GPU ... to show dedicated GPU. It didn't .
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I believe they're trying to describe the Advanced Tools section at the launcher. This won't do anything about shadows at all.

When you open Options => Display => Advanced, what does it say in the box in the upper left?

Does your laptop have a dedicated GPU (it seems so from what you wrote, just checking)?

Are you using Catalyst or the new "Radeon Settings" program? If so, you should be able to force GPU usage by adding specific executables.