I am looking for a beginner mage guide

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Slobbergoat, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Slobbergoat New Member

Hello, I have searched through google and several forums trying to find a solid current mage guide, but with no luck. I have found a few different things that have helped and other stuff that was too advanced. I'm currently a dark elf lvl 9 mage and am struggling with what spells to buy, what spells to fight with and generally what other things do I need to know to advance my character.

Thanks in advance.
  2. KateL7 Lorekeeper

You get 4 pets, earth pet is the most tanky and it roots the enemies. Air pet is less tanky but does a stun which helps make up for it, almost. Water pet is pretty squishy but it does good melee dps. And fire pet is squishy but it shoots fire and it has a damage shield so it damages stuff that attacks it. Basically if you are soloing then you should use the Earth pet, if you are playing with a merc tank then use any of the other pets and also type /pet taunt off

Besides pet there is not a whole lot else to worry about with spells at that level. You get 3 main types of nuke as you level, one that does the most damage but needs clear line of sight to the target. Another one that does almost as much damage but doesn't need line of sight (most people just use that one). And then you also get rain spells that pour damage 3 times on the target. There are some other spells too like a magic based direct damage and a point blank area damage and some others. In the high levels when you start grouping, you will need all the spells. But when you are levelling up, don't bother buying everything. Just get the best pet each few levels, and the best nuke. And some utility spells. You can look up all the spells here:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html?name=&type=mag&level=1&opt=And Higher&action=search

Also there will be a pet heal spell eventually which is useful. And you will get a damage shield spell that helps a bit with dps. Also it is worth having invisibility for travelling, just remember that undead can see through it. Also don't bother buying the summonable bags, they are a good way of losing your gear. Summonable gear and weapons are ok to make your pet do a bit more damage, but they don't make much difference until higher levels. Don't bother with the personal shield. Get the Gate spell. Also get the Burnout spells. The rain damage spells are nice if you have a tank good enough to taunt, but they cause a lot of aggro so you will likely die if you don't use them at the exact right time. Up to you. And if your tank/pet are attacking more than one thing and you use a rain, you will die for sure. So as a beginner just still to the single target nuke imo.

That's about all I can remember for now. Hope this helps get you started.
    Slobbergoat likes this.
  3. Slobbergoat New Member

Thank you very much for that information.
    KateL7 likes this.
  4. Nylrem Augur

Slobber,

Hello, a little more info would have helped. I would have to guess, if you've played a fair bit since posting this, that you've figured a fair amount out already, but I'll post a small bit anyway.

Assuming you're on a TLP, which varies a tremendous amount from old servers. I played a magician a short bit on a TLP several years ago, so will try and give you a bit of info from that experience.

Many starting areas have some 'upgraded' mobs from original EQ. Those are what you want to attempt to find. They drop items that sell for more coin than average mobs. Armadillos in North Ro were like that, when I played, for low levels. Could make 20-30p in less than an hour on armadillos at level 5-6. I know there was some mobs near Qeynos that were similar, etc.

Mana consumption is your biggest issue, efficiency of mana usage. IMO, most times, it was more efficient to use Fire pet, and take on the mobs that the fire pet could tank, when solo. Fire pet has a huge DS, bigger than what you can cast, and it doesn't cost you mana to continuously recast it. It's a tremendous amount of damage on low level mobs.

Water pet has best regen. When taking on mobs that poison (spiders, snakes, etc) it's generally best to use water pet, if don't want to keep recasting fire pet.

Magic based nukes are more efficient than your fire based nukes, generally, but can vary between spell levels. You're after the best damage per mana, to use the most.

It is often most mana efficient to recast pets, per mana. A pet, per mana cost, does far more damage than a nuke. You can practice chain summoning pets, and if done right, can take out some pretty tough mobs. Sic pet, back off a bit, and type /pet get lost... but don't hit enter... cast new pet... half a second before spell is about to finish, hit enter twice (once to put in your chat window, and again to finish the /pet get lost command) new pet pops out, and sic on mob... back off a bit again... rinse and repeat as necessary. Since fire pet won't have time to cast it's DS, it's generally better to use a beefier pet when doing this.

Try and time your last nuke to kill the mob, so it don't run. They usually start running about 20%, so if you can time your nuke to land right when the mob hits 20%, that's generally best :)

I liked battling undead when possible, most continue to beat themselves to death against your fire pet's DS, instead of running at low health :)

Get your pet focus items as soon as able to buy the components from other players. Broom of trilon, shovel of ponz, torch of alna, and cant remember the stein name - Ulissa or something. Look any of those others up, and you can find it. Each one corresponds to a pet type. You want to be equipping that item, when you cast that type pet, to get better stats for that pet. At about level 35 ish, can probably kill all the mobs needed for the quests, or can just buy the components needed from higher level people, and do the turnin, to get them.

Keep burnout, when get it, on your pet. It's huge.

At like level 19 ish, start trying to equip pet with two 1h weapons. If it visually takes both, then it's dual wielding, which it wont do automatically until like level 29+... once pet can start dual wielding, will want to make sure give pet a couple weapons. level 1 daggers (mana consumption) or rusty weaps, whatever, is fine, but must give it 2 weapons for pet to dual wield, for several levels, for it to actually do dual wield damage (unless that's changed, possible).

Hope this helped some.