Hunter achievment reward

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elkar Headhunter, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowMan Augur

Just going to add how many people have sorta afk'd their way through about 80% of the Artisans Prize, so don't let all the whine about trivial or people bypassing some of it simply by having another do the work for them be a factor to dissuade at all.

Utilizing the massive expanse of prior content in creative ways like this is exactly what you should be doing at times as long as its not at the expense of current stuff.

Materials for the AP come from trivial mobs that people often afk farm, or have others farm/afk farm for them and give to them or they buy the materials dirt cheap in the baz because they come from grey con mobs. People afk all the time for the various flags, mobs or tasks related to the Artisans Prize and also often bypass some of it by having someone else to make seals for them. How many alts have this now because they can just use the auto combine feature for trade skills that was added to the game. The only hard part is post 300 in trade skills but thats not even required for a giant part of the augs power. How many tradeskills have large chunks of recipes that are easily done often with vendor stuff letting people get to 70-85% of max power. 70% of that aug is basically trivial and has giant parts that can be bypassed just by "having someone else do all the leg work for you" yet here it is.

Don't listen to all the whiners. If they want it they will do it if not it doesn't hurt them at all outside of their egos of not having it. Which is not a valid reason to not implement a hunters augment reward.
  2. segap Augur

Yes, I fully admit that. Do you know why I haven't done it? Because it's beyond boring. I don't do everything I can to maximize my character so that I can go spend hours in level 40 content. EoK content is trivial enough. New things desirable to maxed players should not require us to go back and slaughter low level zones for hours.

For those that actually enjoy doing such things, the act of doing them should be sufficient reward. If you're having fun, have your fun. That's the point of playing a game. Just don't think that you need to get some fancy reward for everything you personally find fun. Enjoy the journey and the memory for what it was.
  3. ShadowMan Augur

This kind of argument is complete horse . People who care go back and do trivial stuff all the time for gains. Epics, Artisans Prize, old bp's, various clickies, DoN AA, cotf and forward achievement AA lines, old raid currency for items in some cases and probably others I missed.

Everything in this game can be stated as boring for the most part if you try and spin it that way.
    Ishtass likes this.
  4. Seldom Augur

I think it'd be fairly interesting if a reward like track were given for completing certain eras of these achievements and very "Hunter" like. Say, bard track for first couple of expansions and then improving upon that. Classes with track already could get something even more specific possibly. I personally don't mind if a reward isn't given at all but I fail to see why folks would be upset if an aug etc. were granted. Something unique and cool should be given IMO if folks decide to dedicate that much time to something like this. My main has zero upgrades to obtain until next expansion and if I could get another one by adventuring around Norrath killing easy things, how is that much different than most other activities for a true min maxer lol. I'd love for the challenge to come from content difficulty but in an MMORPG like "Everquest" it's alright for it to come from time consuming activities on somethings. "Everyone" doesn't need to be able to get every item
    menown and MyShadower like this.
  5. segap Augur

Most of what you list were in era items that have retained value. They weren't inserted in the game at level 105 and require going backwards to get modern items.

As for Artisans, I did do the original. I hated every second of doing it. I have not, and will never do the 350 tradeskills. I conceded defeat on that task of mind numbing tediousness. My argument here is to stop that insanity and not repeat it. New useful rewards should be based on new content. I'm fine if they want to make some appearance or vanity rewards for old stuff, but anything that adds actual stats to players or useful clickies that will be coveted should not be attached to ancient, trivial content.
    Thrillho likes this.
  6. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I was just acknowledging the subliminal message. /wink /wink /nod
  7. ShadowMan Augur

And I disagree. This game died quite a bit around SoD when suddenly everyone felt they were owed everything just because the payed a sub. Everyone in current content, with content tuned so 99% of people could handle it. Its gotten so bad you don't even need to farm current gear or augs to do all of EoK. There are probably 5 classes now that with exception skill can beat everything eok has to offer group wise outside of maybe 2 or 3 hiccups that would require the help from one other person using nothing but tbm group gear they can buy in a baz if they can find the remenants for sale.

The more I may never finish quests like this that offer great rewards the better and I say that as someone who probably will only ever partially complete them.
  8. menown Augur

I really liked the idea of how you gained increased run speed by doing the whole Journeyman's Compass thing. The reward related to the task. Some type of reward that related to doing the hunter achievements would be cool too.

Speaking of track, there needs to be some improvements for the 3 classes that do have it. Things like tracking a target shows up as a point on the map, or makes a waypoint to target, or puts the tracked target on your target window. There are probably other things that could be done as well.
    Seldom likes this.
  9. Orbital101 Augur

I dont recall anyone asking for 'hey can we get hunters achievement to update been in any zones and in raid format? I like the concept of it but it is easily exploited nor will I ask to be removed unless I want everyone to hate me for life but why should we get penalized for it?Yes, there was a good 80% of the raid AFK when I did it. Just throwing numbers out in the air but I was close of doing 80% of it my self. People that was helping was obviously working on what they were missing instead of what I was missing to catch up which is understandable. Some of the AFKer deserved a spot some others less but who I am to decide who deserve it more then the others? Maybe one day my game time will be restricted to raid and I wont feel as bad been afk knowing that I did my share. Anyway the bottom line is that when I ask for help I get more then I need to show up. So all good deeds come with a reward.

I mainly focused on my main switching alts as needed so my first 4 main alts kinda got left behind but until they add a reward I see no point of going back for them. So when or IF they add a reward and If the reward worth doing for them, ill be ready for round 2. Its never to late. Specially now that I do more screen staring then anything else trying to figure out what I should do next since they dint add any hunter last patch now would be ideal :rolleyes:
  10. Khat_Nip Meow

If there was to be a reward and having it follow in the spirit of what you're suggesting, perhaps bonus Banestrike damage on named mobs which works at the group and raid level.
  11. Orbital101 Augur

All you really need is to add up or down on the Z axis in the tracking message. With labels you can easily plant a mark on map by right clicking .Even if you dont track you can do a search on the map window to get your mark planted to right click the mark to start the path. Not ideal in some cases but often does the job.
  12. Leigo You come here often?

It's an easy Aug to make. It's just like a charm.
    Grows in power as you complete Hunter achievements.
    ie no Hunter, no stats. How much each achievement is worth and what the possible Max stats would be is on the devs.
  13. Tinyfeet Elder

I certainly hope there is no reward. I have no interest in returning to low level content where my presence serves only as a nuisance to lower level players who actually need the mobs there.

I think we can all agree that nothing but severe boredom awaits anyone who decides to complete the "challenge" that is killing all of the old named with ridiculous spawn timers - especially since many of us DID kill those named back when it was current content but got no credit on the achievements because, well, achievements didn't exist yet.

The whole idea to me is just meh.

You want a reward for 1shotting a thousand gray cons? Why?
  14. Tinyfeet Elder

Because you need to consider the history of the game you develop.

For 17+ years now, rewards that increased the strength of one's character came from 3 places:

1. Killing mobs (harder mobs = better loot, so you can kill harder mobs so you can get better loot...)

2. Crafting (materials from harder places used to craft better loot so you can get materials from harder places to craft better loot...)

3. Quests (Do quests in harder places to get better loot so you can do harder quests....)

Those three things have kept what player base you have left playing for 17 years. People who want their playtime to consist of running around in trivial content day after day have long since migrated to WoW et. al. I'm not saying the EQ playerbase has no achievment hunters - I know several, and I will knock out some achievements myself as well on occasion...but that's typically because there's some reward from the achievements that is necessary if you want your character to be as good as it can be (augs, AAs, stat mounts, etc.)

As for the "forced" comment:

If we zoom out and look at the big picture in EQ (and any MMO for that matter), the purpose is gear. You wear bigger numbers so you can kill bigger mobs so you can get gear with bigger numbers to kill bigger mobs...

Your character's strength is represented numerically as a compilation of the items it possesses, and demonstrated in its ability to overcome more challenging content.

If going back for *MONTHS* to kill boring, trivial, old, worn out, content is the best way to progress your character, people playing a game that revolves almost entirely around progressing your character are going to feel forced to do so.

Forced to compete for week long spawns....forced to show lower guk who's da big boss now, man, I bet original Droga will be fun, challenging, intriguing, and really make people want to log their level 105 in...

I don't want to go back in time...I already enjoyed that content 5, 10, 15 years ago. I don't want to be forced to "enjoy" it again to progress my character.

If the achievement completionists want a reward, give them a nimbus..a mount..an illusion..a bag..title: The Bestest....Sufferer of the Ages, but 100 level inferior content shouldn't be revisited to remain competitive at the top end.

Thanks for reading my opinion.
    segap likes this.
  15. Orbital101 Augur

So spend as much time to create something useless instead of something useful so that I dont have to do it? You would rather have nothing to work on then anything once you have everything? cause why the hell do it if its useless.

These achievements aren't going any where so why dont we get something out of it that everyone can use? It doesnt have to be all done next week, next month or next year but one day when every thing will be complete you might be happy to have something to else to work on.
    Ishtass likes this.
  16. Qbert Gallifreyan

Erm, that is already in there? Perhaps I don't understand what you're talking about.

". . . is to the southwest and below you."
  17. Orbital101 Augur

We are in the EQ1 forum btw :cool:
  18. Flatchy Court Jester

Just give them an illusion that is unique. Im sure people would not mind missing out on that. ;)
    Drogba likes this.
  19. Yimin Augur

Nothing should be given for this or any other ACH you can get if all you need to do is sit in lobby while other people killed named all night ... And that's just what's happening for the hunters ....

Yimin
  20. smash Augur

Not 2300 hme, 3000 hme.

Artisan aug. One you get from doing some tasks + getting ALL your tradeskills to 350 (total 420 skills above old max which were 300/200)

Going to be obsolete.. 15+ years
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.