How you main melee at server start?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ManglerNecro, May 7, 2020.

1. ManglerNecro Journeyman

Maybe strange question, but I never try start as melee at new server, how it feeling?
    More easy to start pet class or ench got 50 lvl and farm some kronos, after some time gear melee alt and lvl him with good armor/weapon?

How naked war feeling in group? Can he even make some money/kronos or its waste of time to make melee at server start? :)

I not coming to just make kronos, but at fresh server some classes not need gear/weapon and can farm a lot of money, but some seems not? Or im not understand something here :)
  2. Barder-mangler Augur

I don’t really ever play melee (well except a bard, but that doesn’t count), but there is some truth that it’s easier to play a caster at launch, and it certainly makes farming and gearing out a melee much easier down the line. That being said, on initial server launch it will be very easy to get a group for any class. Sure, there will be some people that discriminate against rogues/wars/pallys, but generally speaking if you are a competent player you will be able to get a spot and level/gear up.

When leveling my enchanter on mangler I’d always look to save at least one spot for the above classes on principle alone.
  3. Sethisto Elder

I wouldn't worry about it at all. You can go caster and solo things, but grouping will always be way faster anyway. You can't beat a well oiled 6 man team laying waste to everything.

The absolute most important thing to do in EQ is make some friends. Add people you level with to friend list. Invite them to future groups. Build connections. Eventually you will have that core group that goes around doing stuff and you won't need to worry about loot as the group itself will want to gear up together and most likely hand you a better weapon or armor piece if you have a super slot.
  4. BlingBling Journeyman

Yeah. I think the normal idea people have is to start something like a necro, druid, or a farming/fast leveling class to twink out the Melee later on.

I will say, I think leveling up a melee on TLP is really an adventure on itself. It's more like classic EQ where gaining those important pieces of equipment/lvls early on make such a huge difference. It's really about the experience you may want to have.
  5. Hinastorm86 Augur

Ya it'll be rough, but doable. I would suggest doing some research on potential low level upgrades if you're going to go it solo as a melee on a server launch.

You'll also be able to buy some decent weapons from the power gamers. I assume they'll be 50 and farming the good stuff in 2 days at the most. Just spending a krono or 2 to get started really makes a huge difference, but you don't have to.
  6. Stratka Lorekeeper

In optimized groups with a charmer, gear doesn't matter much because the role of a tank in group content is to tank the charm pet when it breaks so it doesn't kill the enchanter/necro/druid/cleric. You shouldn't be tanking anything on a consistent basis.

At low levels, all classes work just fine and banded will be accessible, just save your platinum for that.

Launches are very fun since you can get upgrades through group content - banded to bronze for example.
  7. BlingBling Journeyman

Although I agree for the most part Stratka. Not all enchanters are created equally, there is still a bit of tanking when it comes to groups but your point is valid. And also, you may not always have an enc or charmer around. Scary!
  8. Stratka Lorekeeper

Blasphemy!

But as you said above, it's a unique experience that really only happens at a server launch. I say go for it!
  9. Fudly Elder

Just glue yourself to an enchanter. A charmed pet will outdps a fully twinked group, and tank better than you too.
    Minpire likes this.
  10. Crabman Augur

This happens on mangler and I am a mostly raid equipped warrior so... it really wont change.
  11. Minpire Augur

MNK + SHM ( if 2boxxing ) or Just Monk & find a plane of sky guild later on???

Isn't robe of lost circle or w/e obtainable as well Pre-Kunark?
  12. wildone Elder

melee apart from a monk and a bard are only useful on raids.
  13. Sikkun Augur

I played with a Ranger who was my main tank on Mangler from 1-50. The secret? He made the groups....you make the groups, you get the levels.
  14. Arugan Lorekeeper

Honestly, playing a melee right at server launch is better than waiting. People are more understanding that everyone sucks, and there is less differentiation between classes. Later on, people get more picky.

Think about how long it will take you to level two characters instead of one. If your end game is to play the melee anyway, what are you gaining by investing in another class first?

One of the biggest challenges you will face is finding your first magic weapon.
  15. mark Augur

enchanter,mage.wizard,bard,cleric and warrior main,you mez a pet malo it ch it ,if enchanter his well geared haste the pet if not do not,when mez breaks have an /fd,taunt and attack with defensive disck on warrior to snap aggro from and have a hotkey setup to heal enchanter etc.
  16. Machen New Member

The OP asked how to main a melee. You just listed a group with no melee. Good job.
  17. Kanuvan Elder

Monks are fine to play without twink gear, and tanks are always wanted, even rangers are great tanks/pullers early on, melee never have to med or sit with a good healer, people been playing with too much box casters to remember anything about melee usefulness

even on p99 where melee is even worse they still served a role, id take a melee over a wiz pretty much any day, unless it was that 1 wiz who didnt med for 10 minutes per pull
  18. Ultrazen Augur

Monk is the answer to the first melee character, but no liz at release = no sale. Having a gear dependent class as your first character on a server is pretty rough.
  19. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Box a melee, and /follow an enchanter afk until 50. :p
  20. Velerin Journeyman

It’s easy. By level 10 you’ll have enough to buy banded which can get you to 50 on early servers. People want tanks for full groups. There’s tons of easy quest weapons you can get early to hold you over.
    On Coirnav I started as troll SK, made banded by level 10 or earlier just with vendor trash loots, by level 18 went out and soloed the guy for Grobb Cleaver and was set for a while. Personally I find it more fun that way anyways.