How will the changes to rest/reprieve change your play?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by hakmer, May 8, 2014.

1. Hatenine New Member

I personally don't see the need for such a change. It seems like they are pushing melee backwards. I have been playing my Rogue off and on since Luclin and I love the class however changes like these make me wonder why I continue to play melee. I am seriously considering switching to some type of caster dps which feels like the direction the game is going. I can think of quite a few events that require caster dps and very few that require only melee. What is the purpose of doing one or the other?

Do the developers not have any group of players they can communicate with that raid/group to give some honest feedback? If they need some people for it, please ask the community I would love to give some input on how it feels to play/raid and how we can improve the player experience. I am not referring to making everything easy. Content should still be difficult but find new ways to accomplish that don't eliminate or change core abilities that people use without at least getting some feedback on how it may change the game play.
  2. Bearforce Lorekeeper

It has changed my gameplay by making me play another game until I see what happens. I'm mad at this particular video game.
  3. Songsa Augur

This exist, its named CRT and we would loved to be asked BEFORE such kind of things that totally change half the total classes in everquest is even tested.
    Ratbo Peep and Fenudir like this.
  4. Harabakc Augur

Given this post it's quite clear most devs aren't playing any melee classes actively. The premise that rez effects aren't a penalty is utterly ridiculous. Or hell, maybe it means they aren't actively playing at all. Because they apparently don't see how easy it is to get mana back.
  5. feiddan Augur

Yeah, rez effects reduce 225% haste to 95%. Rest gets us up to a minimal level of endurance, but we never really catch up. Even with some ability to regenerate endurance to a usable level, they can't be used ideally for the next 4 minutes or so, plus our melee is severely gimped.

The amount of buffs that melee require is more than casters - any melee death also penalizes shaman, rangers, beastlords, paladins, enchanters, clerics, and druids in terms of time and mana.
  6. hakmer Augur

where did you post that quote from harabakc?
  7. Songsa Augur

from "it's AA time" post
  8. Harabakc Augur

Correct, page 21 or 22.
  9. Brosa Augur

I use rest after I die and after my group has been grinding for 30+ min. In those 30min the casters usually have taken at least one small med break sooooooooo
  10. hakmer Augur

looking in developers roundtable at the proposed changes i am very worried that group geared berserkers who have similar endurance costs as their raid counterparts but a lot less endurance pool are going to be the worst hit by these changes.
  11. Fenudir Augur

The group geared zerker has always been something of a joke in EQ. Their sustained dps conjures up pally dps jokes and they can take a hit about as well as a $2 vase from a discount store.

That said, it warriors who I think are taking the greatest hit from this ill-conceived change.
  12. hakmer Augur

-----------------------
    i can see both sides of the argument which basically tells me that it's a bad idea all the way around. why don't they just make us fd for say 2 minutes when we run out of endurance.. with no fade effect.. u just fall over..and have it emote.. something like.. momma i am tired i am gonna rest now..
  13. Fenudir Augur

I've suggested the idea of the line giving a flat amount of endurance back up to a percentage cap. So say you have a pool of 100K END. Rank 3 gives back 20,000 up to 20% (just an example, folks). So it would give you up to 20K but not take you past 20%. If, in this case, you already had 11K END and hit the disc, you would be given 9K but no more since it would take you over your 20% cap. No fuss, no muss, and nothing for players to "cheat" on (though how it got past the devs that people would pop Rest and then go right back into combat eating END while regening is boggling to me. Only someone who doesn't actually play the game wouldn't have figured this out in about five seconds.).

Another suggestion that I've seen that I could get behind is calls and rezes bringing you back with significantly more endurance then they currently do (4K for calls and as low as zero for rez click stick). Somewhere around 10K is what I've seen suggested. The only problem with this is that it would have to be tied into level or something else as 10K is minimal to a raid geared toon and substantial to a group or seriously under geared toon.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  14. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

If they tied it to rez effects, why not make it a percentage? Let's use that 20% figure from your first paragraph (totally not gospel here, just using the example again!). A flat percentage returned would prevent the "romgmybarisfull!" of a 10k return on group/undergeared, as well as preventing the "pfft, what am i supposed to be doing with this again?" of the fully geared raid toon.
  15. Fenudir Augur

First off, when it comes to calls and rezzes, I really wish they'd fix it so that they all brought you back with some small amount of END. The 4K from a call seems fine to me. Enough to hit Rest, aura, etc. but not enough to be meaningfully useful.

By far I favor changing the Rest line from a end-over-time to a single shot return to percentage like my example above. It seems to me the easiest and cleanest fix of a non-issue that would please most people (or at least not peeve as many off).
  16. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I wholeheartedly agree. Even adding some other type of reasonable detriment to it (short duration stun, long cast timer, something to that effect) would be tolerable. Outside of death, I just don't use Rest. So as long as it's something that can help out with that, I'm interested in at least entertaining the idea. Warriors freshly rezzed/called is actually what concerns me the most. They NEED to be able to get back into the fight after a death. I know that zerkers, and to a slightly lesser extent monks, bleed out the end. I also know that as a rogue that bleeds considerably less, in part due to my playstyle, my view is slightly skewed. I don't want to see any of us get boned here, but I also REALLY don't want to see warriors that sit in the hall to get endurance back so they can use discs when they die, rather than taking the rez, and getting back to their role.
  17. Fenudir Augur

I have ten AAs and discs that I spam in a fight to maintain some semblance of sustained dps so I burn through END like congress burns though money. I use Rest all the time in the group game.
  18. Ratbo Peep Augur

Zerker class has already stagnated to the point of oblivion. they need some lovin' not another nerf.
    And Warriors, ya like they needed any more nerfs!
    So the nerfs are more or less ready - but the new AA's aren't ???
    Hmm..........
    -R
    Fenudir likes this.
  19. hakmer Augur

i like some of the suggestions here and to add my own to go on top of them.. they need to switch the mana regen and endurance regen stats on melee gear. My zerker is in voa tier 2 raid gear for most part and he still has more mana regen than he does endurance regen.. /boggle.
  20. hakmer Augur

It looks like we were heard .. for now...

May 19, 2014

*** Quests & Events ***

- Beyond the Barrier - NPCs involved in this quest in Dead Hills will no longer ignore pets or mercenaries.

*** Spells ***

- Melee Classes - Reversed the changes to Respite, Reprieve, and Rest. These spells will no longer be removed if you take offensive action.
    - Wizard - Reversed the changes to Syllable of Refreshment. The spell will now refresh spells that grant mana.