How will the changes to rest/reprieve change your play?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by hakmer, May 8, 2014.

1. hakmer Augur

title of the thread pretty much is the topic. If they change it to ooc only and any type of aggressive action knocks it off.. to me that's a huge step backwards for all melee. We already lack in the end regen department compared to the mana regen of casters. We have zero synergy with other classes for endurance regen. So now it's ease up on everything in order to have enough for that one shining moment? While casters rock on?Or will there be the 10 minute break in order for all the melee to regen? sometimes i just shake my head at some of the decisions.
  2. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Myself, outside of being freshly rezzed, I rarely use it. Though this is going to mean that when freshly rezzed, I won't be jumping right back in the fight after getting my clickies on and hitting Rest. So there will be a couple mins of even less dps from me at that point.
  3. Riou EQResource

It will probably make me play less outside of raids as having to med all the time isn't fun

Raids will become a lot more annoying too :p
  4. The real Sandaormo Augur

On raids,Tanks rely on Rest / Reprieve to have a "fighting" chance to get agro and tank after a death. Outside raids where deaths are rare this is really a non-factor.
  5. hakmer Augur

--------------------------
    i don't agree that outside of raids this is a non factor. When we get to chain pulling non stop i often hit reprieve in between attacking, it's a very big factor. For melee dps this is a really big factor. Berserkers still go through endurance like crazy.
  6. Bamkan Augur

Is auto attack DPS greater than merc DPS.
  7. Gumlakx Augur

If it is ooc only and drops when I attack, then my class becomes unplayable. I rely on Rest to be able to afford the End cost on my combat abilities.

I have a Monk alt and know this will be an issue, though not quite as pronounced as on a Berserker.
    Fenudir likes this.
  8. Ratbo Peep Augur

Question? Was there any discussion about all this, on the run up to this nerf.
    Or is it "out of the blue" just appearing on test all of a sudden?
    -R
  9. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

It's in Beta, and as far as I'm aware, there was no discussion at all. Just boom, there it was.
  10. Fenudir Augur

You seem to be of the opinion that the content devs honestly care what you or I or anyone else thinks. The fact that we play this game day in and day out doesn't mean a thing. It's their game and they're going to do with it what they want and our opinions be damned.

That's not a dig on the content devs. It's a simple fact. It's also not indicative of SOE as a whole. I play their other games having had an all access pass for a while and the EQ devs are the only ones where I have never, not once, seen them say "You know what? We screwed up. We're going to do right by you." If fact, they tend to double down on their position when we complain (In case anyone hasn't noticed yet). It's the reason that I was always sympathetic to Piestro and now Roshen. The may have to deal with the complaining that we hand them but I'd bet a month worth of your favorite drink that it's nothing compared to the headaches they get defending the devs against us.

Now, to stay on the topic, as a zerker who raids, this change is going to force me from getting back in the action quickly. I'm basically going to have to hang back and wait for the meager endurance that this gives before getting back in the fight. I genuinely don't understand the "need" for this change.
  11. Songsa Augur

No discussion i heard as well.
  12. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

You quoted me, and I hope that this comment in particular is directed elsewhere, good sir. =P We know each other in game, and you know very well that I do not labor under THAT particular delusion. =P~
    Fenudir likes this.
  13. Syrup Augur

This is how I envision the dev meeting went when they were sitting around talking about changes....

"Yeah.... and we'll take their rest away so they won't be any use after getting a rez.... that will teach those stinkin' melee classes!!"

All joking aside, I would love to hear the logic behind this change....
    What will this change solve? o_O
  14. Sinestra Augur

I'm sure this will solve nothing currently. I'm sure they have some grand story about how things had to be nerfed so they can bring you bigger and better things which is what they say often and rarely if ever make good on those promises.
  15. feiddan Augur

Outside of raids: when I run out of endurance (which even as a monk, happens quickly), I will stop to med up. I'll be medding more often than casters, and I have no way of gaining endurance back at any sort of reasonable rate, as opposed to basically every mana user in the game.

On raids: If I die (perhaps from a pull, or an AE, a bad tank swap, some other mechanic), I will run as far away from the fight as possible, so as to avoid all buffs, AE's, and bardsongs. I will then wait five minutes for my combat timer to end. I will then med up for two or three minutes. Then I'll reengage and ask for buffs.

Sounds like fun! Thanks!
    Norathorr likes this.
  16. Tanecho Augur

How about we just kick Rest up to 5 minutes, and remove the arbitrary limits on the maximum % of endurance it can return?
  17. Langya Augur

It will make grinding exp slower. I will be clicking that Miniature Horn thing a bunch more. I doubt I will even bother running a parser or looking at parses as I will be sitting on my can while others pew pew away with their big honking bars of blue stuff while my yellow stuff is empty. Oh and probably sitting my rogue down more to med and allow more afk's. I guess it will result in me being able to take more beer refill breaks to the fridge/store.

This nerf will turn me into an alcoholic. Or more of one.
  18. Eshtoma Lorekeeper

Pour me a drink please Langya. :)
  19. Langya Augur

Whats your poison?
  20. SaderakhBertox Augur

In the group game with group gear, its vital for keeping up in a grind.

As far as cotf raids go, I've picked up a big enough endurance pool to make Rest irrelevant. We'll go through those 8 raids in an evening, and I'll have zero deaths. Lately, I've been finding quiet moments to hit Seven Breaths but even that is unnecessary. I'll die with the raid at times, like when we were chasing the original achievements for T1a and T1b, which means everyone's going to need to regen / rebuff anyway.

Heart of Fear raid #2 could absolutely suck hardcore. You've got those mobs that drain endurance. I have had to hit Imitate Death then Rest during it, and still get drained to zero, and sit at zero basically waiting for ID / Rest to refresh. That was annoying, but there's still plenty of others around me at the time to continue the DPS and so on.

Now, assuming these changes are permanent and there's no light at the end of the tunnel, well then it will effect me most that tanks couldn't jump back into the fight immediately. I could see them trying and not having sufficient endurance to hold aggro, so I'll be FDing a lot in those circumstances, watching the rogues and zerkers getting picked off one by one... poor guys and gals :(

I think it was a bit silly for a monk to have an unlimited supply of endurance. All I had to do was hit Imitate Death then Rest in between discs, and then I'd only be limited by what discs have refreshed. In a long fight, where I hit every disc available to a 100 monk, and let all of them run their course, and be concerned about the endurance pool? It's been a long while since I concerned myself with that.

Lastly, in the past year, if I had a dollar for every time I ran into a monk or rogue who didn't purchase Rest, or know what it was for, or how to use it, well....