How unrealistic is a non truebox Coirnav?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Umul, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Umul Augur

Seriously, how opposed are the devs to a fresh nontruebox TLP?

Genuinely curious why we havent seen one. Are you guys waiting for Ragefire and Lj to move further? Is it the instancing? Theres never been a nontruebox server with AOC’s.

I dont see how any server could be expected to be playable beyond HoT~ with a boxing restriction, the point is still reaching live right?
  2. Protocol Dragon Defender

It's unrealistic because DBG just wants to continue copying the success of Phinigel without knowing whether it was true box or instancing or 12 week timers or even the combination of them all that made it so popular. Rather than trying to experiment with this we can expect them to keep dropping Phinny clones every 12-18 months until people stop playing on them.

Also, the purpose of TLP servers is not to get to live, it's to sell EXP Potions and krono.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you just want to box crush content every live server should scratch that itch really. At this point a non true box server is just a terrible idea. In other words, daybreakgames is probably considering it.
  4. snailish Augur

Combine, Sleeper, Fippy, Vulak, Ragefire & Lockjaw weren't truebox.

Phinny, Quarm event 1, Agnarr, upcoming Coirnav are. They are also the last 4 progression or era-based servers.

If you believe in not truebox you should be on Ragefire and Lockjaw proving that concept can catch live, as right now Fippy looks stuck (Vulak died earlier) and Combine ate Sleeper and caught live when it was a much shorter run to catch live.

The trend suggests they believe truebox is a better model. If it is for $ longterm it is what we will see anyways.
  5. Umul Augur

I think its less about Box crushing content, and more not having to set up a command center to play 2 or 3 toons (speaking for myself at least).

I dont see how releasing a non truebox server along side coirnav would harm anything. If reaching live is an after thought, who cares is they fizzle out after oow? half as many people clicking grass in swamp of no hope is a bad idea?
  6. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

I like how you completely gloss over the fact that Ragefire / Lockjaw don't have AOC's. But yeah I could see how that could be a trivial detail. o_O
    elumxe and Adrienna like this.
  7. snailish Augur

Thread title and gist of the discussion is truebox focused.

OP talks about playing past HoT being impossible with truebox (rough paraphrase), so "getting to live" applies to the conversation even if the majority of progression players actually have no interest in playing past era X (which is an interesting variable to consider too... maybe progression servers need a set from the beginning end expac, after which the ruleset changes to something more likely to have players catch live)

AoC is an interesting variable too. Phinny, Quarm 1*, Agnarr and Coirnav have the early AoC (not sure if Quarm 1 had the lower era AoC or just OoW or some mix?). AoC of old content is not on live servers to the same degree as Phinny iirc... and no clue what Brekt ended up with (lost truebox rule of Quarm 1, has free trade loot... so it didn't just convert to normal live).

Post Rage/Lock we are seeing all shorter unlock times, no voting (yay), and load-balancing (debatable if you really step back from it) on the servers. We've had no true racing unlock since Combine/Sleeper due to the vote mechanism on Fippy/Vulak. XP rates have varied in the Phinny+ era.

Until they launch servers with only one tweak to one rule variable, it is kind of hard to really judge if one thing is the single magic factor.
  8. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

Yeah there were a lot of major ingredients that played into the success of Phinny and Agnarr. Ragefire was really big because it was the 1st TLP released in a long time. Lockjaw was made out of necessity due to the population influx on Ragefire. Agnarr attracted a lot of the P99 purists that don't want to believe in life after 2002.

I'd be interested to see how a server modeled after Phinny with the exception of truebox would pan out. People hated box armies on Ragefire because they monopolized content. But AOC's alleviates a lot of that. And if you have a lot more people multi-boxing in zones then you also have more opportunities for picks. But I know picks don't always prevent people from hopping from pick to pick to KS / monopolize either. Which is why we saw threads suggesting tweaking of pick mechanics (I.E. sending people back to zone-in after /picking).
    Adrienna and snailish like this.
  9. Xanadas Augur

~Warning: controversial opinion below, read at your own risk~

I'm convinced they just don't like boxers and aren't going to give us the niceties like AOC and early-era raidinstancing because of it. I've heard their justifications for why they haven't enabled it on servers like Ragefire and Lockjaw, but I'm just not sold.
  10. Umul Augur

Thats kinda why I half pointed it towards the Devs. I don’t believe they hate boxers, but I would love to at least hear their current opinion on the subject.
    I think theres little doubt it would be a very popular server, so is the reasoning that it would be a logistical nightmare to manage such a server?
  11. Xanadas Augur

Their reason is that they didn't want to introduce new mechanics on the pre-existing servers and somehow disrupt the gameplay on those servers. I'm not sold on it because I have my finger on the pulse with the raid scene on Ragefire and nearly everyone would welcome it.
  12. Brunlin Augur

or you just learn how to look for pc deals and build your own desk. I built a nice wood desk that 6 feet long by 3 feet.for 80 dollars. I bought a nice pc I5 ivy bridge for 80 bucks off of facebook. Picked up a monitor for 5 dollars at the salvation army, had several old pcs that I rearranged parts on. Went to walmart and got some cheap mice and keyboards, etc...the point im making is you can still box as many toons as you want on a true box server it only takes some Google power and you tube spit knowledge and some shopping around for unwanted used parts that will work find in a EQ box without breaking the bank.
  13. yukan Augur

People realize that this is already allowed on Ragefire and Lockjaw right? I get why people bailed for Phinny for the earlier expansions due to a lack of AoCs, but now content becomes naturally instanced so it really doesn't matter. We have the exact same instanced content availability Phinny has moving forward for future expansions.

I can't speak for everyone on Lockjaw but the population on Ragefire has still continued to grow dramatically since PoP and GoD. We're still seeing tons of new people to the server. Some of these people are coming because they're just bored on Phinny. I've also had 2 different people approach me this week saying everyone boxes on Phinny, they just have to do it on multiple PCs, so I might as well come to Ragefire where I can at least do it on the same PC. The most common reason I hear people coming to Ragefire is they can't keep up with the fast pace of Phinny.

Ragefire easily hits 400 in general chat every single night. There are a variety of guilds for a variety of playstyles. And best of all, the drama you hear about from other servers doesn't exist. Another misconception people seem to have is the lack of groups available. Going from level 1-64 is slower because it's an established server, but honestly it depends on your luck with groups and if you play at more peak hours. Find a guild that likely suits your future interests and you are infinitely more likely to get over the hump of getting to 65. Once 65, everything opens up and the game will be more fun.

I had a friend who has been on Phinny create a toon on Ragefire a month or 2 ago who plays 2 accounts on Phinny. He started up on Ragefire with 6 accounts saying this is the Ragefire way, I have to. Then he met up with someone leveling an alt and they leveled to 65 together, added several other people leveling to 65 together, and then my friend abandoned most of his other accounts. The biggest misconception of all about Ragefire is that everyone boxes their own group, but this is simply not true. The vast majority of people play 1-3 characters for freedom in groups, and the vast majority of people are social together.

In short, what I'm getting at is it isn't too late to give Ragefire a try. We have slower unlocks (3.5 months compared to 8 weeks of Coirnav/Phinny), higher XP rates, and you won't have to endure the earlier expansions again.
    Stazie likes this.
  14. Ginix Augur

Yup, they also have people running around with 50+ boxes using third party programs so the boxes are fully automated. Make sure you got lots of krono and you can buy some awesome raid loot from them!
  15. Critts Augur

A player that has to play on more then one server is one that sticks around, plays more, and spends more in general.
  16. Umul Augur

This is accurate, but don’t forget they also cant Ks your instanced raid targets... so you don’t need to buy anything from them. Noobs always buy stuff the first few weeks of a TLP because most dont understand how to gear toons in FocusQuest..

@Yukan. I loved ragefire. I stayed through most of Luclin and it was at the time( I imagine it isnt must different now) probably the most chill down to earth peeps i’ve played with since Fippy.

No server currently or previously has been able to accommodate AOC’s and “ traditional “ boxing. Well they’ve been able to, the server has just never been born. Again, if catching live is not a priority, then I can’t understand the reservation or concerns about the server failing. If catching Live is still a priority, how do you expect new players to catch up to level 105 moloing with one toon per pc?
    Ronzark likes this.
  17. Polekn Augur

What if I want to box my group of 18 or 24? I can run 12 characters on a computer just fine and it helps us to save the planet.
  18. Brunlin Augur

I guess... if you just want to be hacking or running a illegal 3rd party program , but the conversation is on a truebox server. Unless you are saying, what if i want to cheat? If that is your point in this than cheating happens on any server, hopefully they set things in place to keep it on a minimal.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Creating a new "free box" server implicitly approves the use of M. Q. and I S Boxer. I don't see that happening.
  20. Umul Augur

They stated prior fo phinny IS Boxer is not a Eula violation and well we all know peeps already use em q two on truebox servers.

Still havent read a convincing answer besides True box is a good marketing tool.