How to paladin? (lvl100)

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Coldfury, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Coldfury New Member

I'm looking for any and all info on paladin tanking in group game. Important/basic information, what spells/discs to use in what situations that sort of thing.
    Sorry if i missed a thread where this has been covered.
  2. Ravengloome Augur

3. Stephen51 Augur

Except the thread you refer to is spell line up, not how to play a Paladin. Yes spell line up is important, but it doesn't cover the whole of how you play a Paladin. If you don't have anything constructive, head back to the swamp with the other trolls.

I'll try and get back and put something a bit more comprehensive later but, one thing the linked thread will tell you is there are many different play styles.

Sword and board for cutting edge content, swap out your stuns for nukes in content where the mobs are over the lvl cap. 2 hander if you aren't the MT or if its not end lvl stuff or you think you can hack it.

Fill all your augs with AC augs (Mine are mainly heroic AGI, but the thinking now is moving from AGI to DEX or even STA.

Always have splash memmed, raid or group, even after nerfs, I still love it as a staple.
  4. Jazfer Journeyman

use divine call and balefire burst to single pull. has a 2 min cooldown, but still useful to know, i use it all the time. hand of the pledged keeper is slightly less powerful than cleric certitude. brells steadfast bulwark is a buff every tanks wants, get rk2 or 3 of that if you can. first spire of holiness will increase the amount of healing you and your group takes, can also affect another group.

just some stuff off the top of my head.
  5. Crystilla Augur

Some of this info is from 2013 but shouldn't be too outdated given we're still level 100.

THIS thread has a bunch of pally links (look about midway down the page in the 'Misc Class Type Posts' section). Topics it includes are:

and then it has this as well:
    • A knight's guide to tanking (full of great tank knowledge)
    • Armor class and you (great info)
    • AC vs ACv2 (Dzarn does a very huge discussion on this)
    • AC Breakdown by Class
    • How does damage mitigation work
    • Critical Game Mechanic Information (useful for many classes)
    P.S. If anyone has really good links they want included on this summary thread, please PM me.
  6. Ravengloome Augur

I think what I was getting at was the fact this question has been answered before, the information is all over the tank forums.

Which Crystilla has now linked.

The rest of playing a tank comes naturally by doing and trying things finding out what works, and an understanding of how things work in unison in situations. Then making judgment calls when you are in those situations.

^ That cannot be explained in a thread, it has to be experienced and learned through dying/trying.

**** Some general advice would be: Find out how your heal mods work, how they stack

Figuring out what your tanking discs do how they work and in what situation you would prefer to use one over the other

Making your UI as easy/simple as possible with everything in quick to reach places, so you can do those clutch moment saves

Figuring out how to keep aggro on multiple mobs when Beacon is on Cooldown
    Then once you figure out how to keep aggro, what discs/aa's/clickies to use and when.

Assessing how much self healing/dps you can do before mana becomes a problem

Figuring out how to keep aggro and produce more DPS, to really push the limit of what your toon is capable.

Since most of what tanks do is completely situational its pretty hard to give anything other then a basic overview of what things do, which can be found via a spell parser (Lucy/Eqresource). The rest is all trying things and making it work.
    Damoncord likes this.
  7. Coldfury New Member

very helpful information, thank you all so much.