How to nicely break the news to someone...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alacritywolf, May 31, 2013.

1. Elricvonclief Augur

I've played with folks of varying skill over the years, both grouping and raiding.

Some have handicaps/limitations due to Real Life, those you just accept, as they are trying hard.

Others are simply inexperienced or don't care.

The inexperienced you can improve, through polite tells (folks realize when you're trying to help versus being rude)

The ones who don't give a s*** you can't really do anything about.

The key thing to me, is if you value them as a friend in game, try to help what you can, and accept limitations due to RL. We all play this game to have fun, so even if they're not the best but they're enjoyable to be around, try to help.

The key is to have fun!:D
    Leerah and Audigy like this.
  2. Jonny Panic Augur

Suggest he spend a little time with a fellow necro. Or, if you know a decent necro, ask them to spend a little time with him. There's a lot he could learn by duoing with a solid member of his class for even just an hour or two.
    Leerah likes this.
  3. KC13 Augur

I play a Necro as my second alt. I have solo'd almost exclusively on it. On the odd occasion I have been asked to group, I accept but explain my solo career and ask for tips and advice that would better assist the group. That way I let them know about my non group experience with a Necro and lessen any hesitancy that might hinder getting their advice. It has worked great for me.
  4. Langya Augur

Nice to see people actually bother to be considerate to a player they would prefer to not have around. Especially when people are so reluctant to group up, even with guildmates.
  5. Wuttever Augur

I have had friends who just didn't learn how to play. I would mention how getting wiped was kind of a pain, for the third time that night, and it sure would be nice if we didn't do it again. But at some point two of them got mad, and it was either I stop grouping with them or just learn to suffer through it.

My choice was to keep grouping, but always go back to easier content when I grouped with those people. I ended up finding out it was more fun that way, too, than any alternative.

From that, I take away there are some people who just aren't going to learn how to play better. But then, I'm sure some people think I don't play well, and I doubt I am going to put in the time to learn to play better, either. We each find our level of enjoyment.

Good luck.
    moogs likes this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

With the pulling part there are a lot of people who think they are good at it, but really are not. They do it how it works for them while solo or with others of the same or similar class, but not in a standard group set up. I have a friend who likes to think he can pull but does so horribly, in my mind, as he will bring more than is necessary due to rushing things.

I would suggest as others directly, but privately, address the issues with him; perhaps over a number of different times you group together so it isn't a ton of negative all at once from his point of view. If it turns out, he's set in his ways you maybe SOL and just have to go into groups with him expecting that kind of thing if he is given that job.
  7. Slasher Augur

So what do you think the other cat is saying to the one jumping ? Bet you cant get it ?
  8. krichton Elder

teach him. and lead by example. don't say " we R getting 2 many MoBs!" but say: we are having a issue with adds. heres what I propose we try different. then ask his opion. then teach and lead by example. show why your way is better and that it works. surrender is not a option =)
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  9. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I've grouped with great Necros who would sometimes Root+DoT a few mobs at a time separately while the rest of the group functioned normally except that we'd ignore the mobs the Necro was roasting over an open fire. Essentially, the Necro acted like he was solo while grouped. It's a valid tactic, so your first impression that he's a good player may have been correct. Obviously, the Necro can push too hard, or make an error and cause a problem, but if you never push, you don't improve as quickly.

When I'm around my friends, I push my group to the limit and beyond. If nobody dies, I usually feel like we should have tried harder. I accept that when grouped with those who consider their XP bar to be a fun meter, I need to dial it back a bit or not expect to be invited back.
  10. Tinyfeet Elder

[IMG]

Send him a copy. Sign the margin.
    Diptera likes this.
  11. Leerah Augur

These returning players come back with the mentality that you can buy levels and AAs and join a raid guild and let them dress you. (They often have no augs and don't know what "anniversary" means.) They don't know their spells, their AAs, their classes or their gear. They don't even know that they suck.
    Last night, I spent 3 hours with a ranger friend (in a raid guild) who continually dies due to overpulling/cockiness. I set the goal and demonstrated how you can let your buffs expire from old age but as soon as I left, he went back to his wiping ways. /Shrug. You do what you can. When I can't stand it anymore, I'll say, "No thanks. I'm too tired to buff you every 20 mins. tonight."
    Teachers are great. If you aren't a natural born teacher, hook him up with a great necro. We had a cleric who was only gone 2 yrs, so a 4 hour lesson with a wonderful cleric doubled his clerical skill. Class forums are a great idea, too. If he doesn't have the time, you can say, "Oh, I read something interesting in the forums today..."
  12. Leerah Augur

In the group with the great necro, I'd suggest he turn on his filter that shows what spells are being cast, don't worry about casting himself, just watch for a half hour. Then, they can discuss what choices he made and why.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  13. Kontra Augur

Extended target window almost guaranteed to fix this, and agro meter. There's no way he is a geared raider and has no clue how to play in a group, unless its an eBay toon or he was carried beyond belief. Be straight up, and if it leads to going seperate ways, it was probably meant to be. Let's keep in mind he could solo for better xp if he has any clue how to play a necro properly, so I wouldn't be too upset. Most high level necros prefer not to group heh.
  14. Laronk Augur

Tell him how it is and express why you're having issues.