How to lose the hard to lose players of EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Bobokin Augur

Oh, that's another thing. You HAVE to use over 100,000pp just to upgrade a set of armor. Casual players don't make 100,000pp in a year, so why play. That was a big deal breaker for former guild members that quit the game: they never had enough coin to wear any armor that dropped for them.
  2. Vizier Augur

This is how you know the game is doomed. The players keep telling the Devs what they want and the Devs ignore it and do the opposite in most cases. The players leave. The pattern continues for years on end. EQ is what it is now.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

The thing is, they have never...not once...explained WHY they increased the amount of xp needed to get through each level to insane amounts, making every level a hell level. That's the issue...not mob xp per kill, but the xp amount needed to get through a level.

They have NEVER explained why they chose to do that. They've confirmed that they actually DID it, but never WHY they did it.
  4. Vizier Augur

The why will never be given, just forget about that. They will do as they see fit and our opinions mean nothing to whomever is cutting the checks. They need not explain themselves. They clearly understand that churning out new TLP servers for people to get a nostalgia fix while they fully ignore the mess that is EQlive, is profitable year over year.

Until something gives, either people stop playing TLPs or the game gets sold again to a new company, it will be status quo for the foreseeable future. No reasons will be given, their forum guardians insta delete any thread or post that even mildly inconveniences them. We, the core players of EQ, have no choice but to just take and like it or spend your time in the myriad other games that abound.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just like your parents - the devs, or owners, your boss etc do not have to ever give reasons.

It cause they said so.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. fransisco Augur

There is a disconnect between the idea that the devs "don't care and don't listen to anyone" vs the devs not agreeing with any specific idea.
    Most players don't post here on this forum or any forum. When a thread gets long, its usually the same 5-15 people making additional posts. So a thread that gets alot of attention is still a tiny microcosm of actual players.I can garuntee you that meeko or someone certainly brings those ideas to the dev's attention.
    As well, players want alot of stuff that is bad for the game. If the devs gave everyone what they wnated, we wouldn't have raids, because everything would be a loot pinata able to be soloed by anyone, and the game would shut down.
    The fact that everyone is still posting here means the devs are managing the game to a decent degree. How many games are this old with this many players after all?
    CatsPaws likes this.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

maybe they just want people to buy more xp potions from the marketplace /shrug
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

No, those answers in the AMA thread make it really damn clear they don't care...period.
    Bilderov and Risiko like this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And while they don't have to give reasons there is nothing stopping us from continually asking either. :)

I've got siblings. I can do the I know you are what I am game forever. :) Or in this case they Why did you change the exp? then silence game. I've been training for this my whole life :)
  10. fransisco Augur

Yup, thats the answer. The devs hate the game and actievely want to make players suffer. You exposed them
  11. Risiko Augur

Maybe its time to just walk away... for good this time.
  12. CdeezNotes Augur

We are paying the devs for their product. If they decide to drastic change their product, as paying customers, we have every right to question why. Your statement is nothing but a nonsense false equivalence.

If my ISP suddenly charges double, you don't think I have the right to call them and question why I'm paying more for the service provided? You bet your you-know-what I do.
  13. CdeezNotes Augur

From what I've gathered from this thread, it's clear some believe that devs want the players playing "the content." But, isn't going out to new zones, killing new mobs, gathering new items, and gaining exp playing in that aforementioned content? What am I missing? So now only specific content within the provided content is acceptable for the devs? Why was that content even created in the first place? Are we in some weird inception? We must go seek out the content within the content within the content!

If only specific content within the provided yearly content is acceptable to partake in, why bother developing the other content? Let's get down to business. Cut the fat and give us a single "hub" zone with 2-9 NPCs providing us with 2-9 group missions. That's apparently the only content that matters. Partisans and mercs? The former are normally pointless roadblocks to get request access. Mercs? Part of the unacceptable "grind" content. Get rid of them. Collects? Eh, who needs to go around hunting yellow balls on the ground? Remove it. All the item rewards locked behind achievements? Simply move them all under the mission achievements. Done.

We'll get our empty gray box of a hub zone that ports us to missions, the only content that seemingly matters for the devs. Plus we get our wannabe virtual card game giving us more yellow pixels. I'm sure the people will love the game once we reach that point, huh? How thrilling it will be to sit in a giant gray box with some NPCs porting to missions, logging, and redoing it the next day! Oh boy, can't wait!
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  14. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Been chomping at the bit on this one for a week, finally back from my mc'banning.

I've been playing EQ since 2004, I met my wife playing EQ. We still play EQ, it scratches an itch other games have failed to as we branched out and tried others. With 2 kids and running a business, EQ is usually relegated to what we can accomplish in free moments. We almost never group we don't box asiude from the times I drag her char along. Despite that we play hard in the raid game, only on TLP at this point. We have been on mangler from day 1 and are now in the era where xp is gone from camps. Finding time to group where we don't feel like we're wasting other players time is really hard to do, so we are most likely not going to play much further toward live.

The closer we get to live the less fun the game is for our playtime. The questing focus means we can't grind for short periods and get anything done. The achievements needed to stay well geared are unachievable in what used to be a far more time casual game to stay on the curve of. We carve out 2 nights a week for raids and that's all we can do outside of moments stolen from life. Forced funneling everyone into one progression path is bad design. And the AMA response was incredibly tone deaf. I will be looking for another game soon if the 25th anniv isn't a huge hit.
    Metanis, Bernel, Sita and 1 other person like this.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

My post was sarcasm directed at the juvenile mentality of a few posters. *sigh*

Lighten up
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Wait, you tell us to lighten up after we read your post and reply? :D

I am offended on your Juvenile mentality comment .. /cry!
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

you know, one post above a cupple here made me think.. I help newbs out alot power leveling them, killing mobs for them.. buffing them..
    This exp situation players in certain levels is causing a toll on the high end player. I pay to play and buy stuff in DB store, kronos crates whatever you can think of.. A lot of $.
    And now I realize I'm picking up the slack of DB gread to get players to heroic, even after heroic what can those players do.

NOW there is free 100 heroic it is much needed because some I have helped are heroicing that I can invite to my groups.

But this money grab with removing exp on certain things in the game making it hard or boring to play, causig the player to boost the toon, is a load on our backs.

And today, I am here to post yet another photo of the graphical bugs with weapon ornaments.. We still have bugs sittin here.

Where is my fkn money going to?

I'm sick of this sh !t

Why does it takes so long to fix stuff now?

Why are we getting things called 'perks' (extra cost) on giving us 2 more slots for bags in our inventory?

I like LS expansion but 2 missions?

Why are people cheating so much?

I'm sitting here thinking, you know... my next check I wanna buy more Crates..
    Then I sober up!
    I sober up because I see stuff like this just now [IMG]

DB why do you do stuff for your player base to post stuff like this?

Do you think I enjoy talking bad about something I have been a part of for years now.

We have to say these things.
    Fenthen likes this.
  18. DeadRagarr Augur

I mean the answer is probably money reasons. You are enticed to buy more xp pots to "gain" more from the reduction. If XP was boosted you would be less incentivized to buy the XP pot for that lesson burn.

Thats basically how I read it.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have had an epiphany! I now realize why I didn't care for cubism.
  20. Burdi Augur

One of the reasons devs could have increased the experience needed to level could be :
    Scarcity of content.
    Expansion after broken mirror provides very little content, compared what it used to be.
    You want to keep the hamsters running for a year, so you need to space the milestones.
    Just my two cents.
    Bobokin likes this.