How to lose the hard to lose players of EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Opal Journeyman

i dont understand why they dont just toss in a a few repeatable "kill" missions of varying difficulty every expansion. I would think that would be a simple thing to implement, no complex script or anything. Basically a grind session in an instance (could be a single room) with good xp, a chance at a namer, and no lockout timer.

IDK that might actually be fun and we can't be having any of that!
    Joules_Bianchi, Marton and Rijacki like this.
  2. CdeezNotes Augur

I ask myself why does every mission need to just be a mirror image of a raid? What happened to group missions that were different along with the raid similar one?

It certainly can't be time consuming creating a mission of "Hail npc, kill this, hail this, kill this, loot these, find these on ground, hand in, hail, done"
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  3. Marton Augur

When Absor announced there will be only 2 missions in LS, this is what I've suggested they do. Some kill 20 mobs, kill named missions that would fill the void.

Yeah, I guess you are correct. Players may actually have fun with that and that's not allowed.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Riou EQResource

The poor exp per kill makes leveling the new Alternate Persona feature really tough, the amount of grinding for the last like 15 levels alone is pretty crazy

It is tough much before even the Achievement EXP changes though, at least if you don't want to pay/use PLing
    Barton-Vox and minimind like this.
  5. Fian Augur

I agree with the complaints in this thread, but I would like to add another one. There is less reason to group, hence this game becomes more of a solo game (if your class allows) or you bring your own group as a boxer. Why is there no reason to group? The merc/partisan quests are basically only run once for a reward/progression, and then never run again. Missions are run repeatedly for coin, however they take a full, strong group of 6 players. Don't have such a group (usually missing a tank), and you end up logging off and doing nothing. Or if you do get a 6 man group, you run through the quests once, get timers, and log off. There is nothing else worthwhile doing for a 6 man group.

Let's compare that to TBM. Every quest was repeatable for coin, and in fact the coin was tradeable, so even if you had all the coin you needed, you could keep running the quest to earn currency to sell. The difficulty of the quests varied a lot. Some could be easily solo'd/duo'd, others would take a full group. So what you would do is start with a small group, others would announce LFG and you would add them to your group. Before you know it, your group is full, and you then take on the harder tasks. Some people leave the group, others join to take their place. This was the EQ experience before RoS moved the coin rewards to only the 6 man missions.

It should also be noted that before RoS, chests from missions weren't candy lands (Although TBM was pretty generous). Now, the 6 man group is the main way to get most of your gear, except for T1 augs. Can't get 6 man groups? Good luck slogging through low spawn bosses to get each piece individually.

The bottom line is that developers are putting out less content, and to try and keep their customers paying all year, they increase the amount of time it takes to complete the same tasks. There becomes a point where the difficulty of the treadmill just discourages players and they leave.
  6. Riou EQResource

It is sad that TBM was basically the end of the Heroic Adventure system that was built around the idea of 2 players + 2 mercs being able to accomplish stuff for exp and currency to buy gear and augs (even had 75+ catch up gear in CotF and TBM had a wide level range of gear too) in a reasonable amount of time.

Then now it is just the scaled down raids for type 5 currency only
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Marton and bbanz like this.
  7. Marton Augur

I miss Heroic Adventures.

Every beta I hope they will create those again so people can get some currency and exp.
  8. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

The XP the way it is doesn't bother me, I maxed out to 125 in less than a week. With that said, I would like more content. There just isn't enough. Going back to old content to do progression I can 1 shot isn't my idea of fun.

As others said recently in this thread bring back HA's. A variety of content to keep one engaged would be great.

I can't wait till the anniversary content becomes available. At least it will be something different to do. Sadly a lot of the quests and missions that were fun are becoming 1 shot events.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Grats on your first good post, Corwyhn. ;)

I just log in two times a day to play Overseer, and I do not level up my toons by it, as I do use capped out toons for Overseer. I don't want free exp and bonus exp, as that is a stupid concept, and do hate it to level up beyond a point that I do not want to. After being done with Overseer, I cannot motivate myself to do anything else, and just log out. I would not have logged in during those bad day times, which are after waking up and before going to bed.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I log on to restock my traders and do overseer myself. I dont really do much besides that sometimes i would do hunters but im burnt out on that stuff. Sometimes i think i only play eq is because ive been playing so long its just part of my daily routine. Dont get excited about eq anymore sadly.
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

I always have stuff on my to do list. At the very least I can log 2 characters in and do tradeskills with all the junk I have collected while trying to get a damn named to spawn for a poor chance at an armor item. (One of the toons is just to buy parts I forgot or ran out of and parcel them to me).

You can go fishing, go after stupid collectibles. Oh and getting the best of the best gear. How can you be done with that? I have finished hunters , merc, partisan, and am still not even a quarter done with gear for just 4 characters let alone all the alts.

Just started the quest "Lost in the Past". Something else that is cool and will keep me busy. I dunno I think there is loads of stuff to do in game if you just do it.

As has been said many times, I started in 03 and have NEVER taken a break. Used to play about 7 hours a day every day. Now that I have been on day shift that has been cut dramatically but I still usually make an appearance.

Some people are just easily entertained I guess.o_O
  12. Mirthe Journeyman

The tone of your post is kind of mean, but I agree with the message. I am also a long-time EQ player and am very very disappointed that my main activity these days is logging in to do overseer twice a day. My favorite activity in the past was finding a decent camp of my own, an expansion or two behind the current one, and grind out some level or AA xp.

Now that that killing mobs for xp is no longer an option, and I have no interest in running missions (I've done some and I just don't find them enjoyable), I'm stuck in this very boring game loop.

I sincerely wish the developers would reconsider and put xp back on mobs so we can relax to a good grind. Currently, mobs give something like 0.01% xp per kill, which is not worth anything.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Bilderov Augur

One of the other things that isn’t mentioned is that people like me have been forced to roll a number of alts just to compete.

Not a bad thing per se, but then having to level them all, especially through quests where you have to have god awful conversations with NPCs that often bug out, or have to pick up items that aren’t group flagged can be very tedious.
  14. Cicelee Augur

Imagine spending lots of development money each expansion, creating new zones, task, quests, story lore, theme, context, etc.

Only to find your playerbase sitting in one corner of one for the next eleven months, killing the exact same dozen spawn points every fifteen minutes. Resulting in every other new zone deserted, making all that investment into a new eight zone expansion a complete waste of money.

Or you could have the best of both worlds- do the progression and quests and tasks and missions and achievements of the expansion to give you a huge initial XP bump at the start, and then grind out the remaining XP and all the AA in the one corner of the one zone for the same twelve spawn points for the next ten months.

Bottom line is, some people like to quest. Some don't. Some like to grind. Some don't. Those that want to have the best for their characters realize you have to do both, and as such do both and reap the rewards in a more timely manner than those who only quest, or those who only grind.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

Your takes are wild.

Yes, imagine spending that time developing quests only to make them valuable one-time things. As you say...8-10 hours worth of content. Wow, talk about a waste.

It's amazing their developments are complete contradictions to their other stuff IE Personas. The fact that quests are only valuable for one-time achievements makes them even less valuable, especially for people with Personas. They are actively making the game more difficult on people who enjoy to do things outside their main characters.

You continuously post how much you hate exp and how you should adapt and do quests. Tell me, almighty know-it-all, how do APs benefit from these quests/achievements if they're already completed? What's the exp method for them? Oh right, grinding. Something that's been nerfed into oblivion by the same devs.
    Why should they care what the playerbase does? If the playerbase finds grinding more enjoyable than their "run around and hail" quests you claim they are...let them? Why does it bother you so much? Tell me, please. Stop with your inner Waring playing proxy speaker for devs and tell me why you think it's so bad if players grind? What negative outcome does it have on your gameplay? I'll clue you in: There is none.

And this entire argument doesn't even make sense. If grind exp were valuable, the zones would be filled up with people? How is increased killing exp = empty zones? As I see it now, zones are more empty than ever with only those needing an aug or TS junk out in the content. Otherwise, people do their one week prog and go back to raid logging.
    And people with APs have to just grind grind grind because instead of giving exp upon completion of a quest they lock it behind shared achievements. Brilliant development choices.
    So why do you continue being the gatekeeper to people's fun? Again, why does it bother you so much?
    Enoah35 and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  16. Cicelee Augur

Who is forcing players to have to do progression to hit 125? The only forcing of progression is if you want to evolve your neck or cloak and similar.

If you want to grind XP, you can. If you want to sit in one corner of one zone for 11 months, you can. If you don't want to use Overseer, you don't have to. If you don't want to use Lesson or XP potions, no one is forcing you to use them. I have an alt that has maybe three days /played that is 122 because I log the alt in, run Overseer, then camp the alt. I have all these choices, and I don't use them outside of Overseer.

It just gets tiring seeing the comment that people are "forced" to XP via progression. You can sit in guild hall and go from 121-125 doing just Overseer. You can speed it up a little bit by throwing in some collection quest rewards. You can go grind in a corner from 121-125 if you want. Not one dev says you cannot. Players have choices with literally everything in the game, including how you want to XP.
  17. CdeezNotes Augur

Literally no one is saying you can't grind. What kind of strawman is this? Wild.

The problem is the exp methods aren't nearly equal in speed, effort, etc. A person grinding to 125 will need way more hours than a person pressing "assign all, start" a dozen times a day. It's objectively bad design and not really disputable.

You cannot seriously say a person not actually playing the game, but some weird mini game 5 minutes a day to level in an MMORPG is solid design. It's unfathomable if you do. May as well link candy crush to EQ exp. The game is predicated and built around going out and exploring. You think some glorified virtual card game being one of the most efficient ways to reach max level is actually justifiable? If you do, it's embarrassing we share a guild tag.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I get it you have no concept of designing gameplay. You can only view it as a spreadsheet style of tasks. Makes complete sense on your viewpoints now.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL you mean the first good one you like as opposed to all the good ones you didn't like. :)
    Barton-Vox and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  20. Roxxanna Augur

Just came back…….again…….and I’m so far behind I don’t know what to do, and this place is a ghost land. If it’s about more money, then fine, make another heroic for level 120.
    Fenthen and CdeezNotes like this.