How to destroy the 3rd party Krono market in 1 easy step

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Scoober, Aug 8, 2019.

1. taliefer Augur

i mean, heaven forbid buying an item on one server for an item on another server be made difficult
  2. Watajoke Journeyman

WoW token system worked nicely until they added battle.net balance as a choice when consuming a WoW token. The price of WoW token sky rocketed since RMT's could then consume for battle.net balance then sell game gifts at a reduced price.

Kronos would in theory drop in plat value if they made them no trade and used the original wow token system, making them more accessible to normal players using them for subs.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

You will not stop people from using real life wealth to improve their in-game performance. This isn't limited to video games, it is done in all sports, too. The crazy notion that EQ should provide a "bubble" where people are somehow created equal is absurd.

Kronos give DBG a cut of the action. What can you do to convince them to give that up?
    Meridian and Dythan like this.
  4. Iyacc Augur

I use Krono. Not gonna lie or feel sorry. I buy it and hold it then sell it for more plats when price goes up and I need coin. Right now, I have 2. Sometimes I'l have 30 or more. I also use them for my sub.

On Agnarr when I first came back I had no idea what krono was and paid using my credit card for 8 months or so until I finally figured them out. Haven't used real life money for EQ since. IMO, I'm not an "RMTer" although I do camp things and sell them - sometimes for krono and sometimes for plats. EP/GoD armor isn't free and sometimes I can get upgrades easier with plat/krono than camping it if I don't have time. And you know what? Sometimes when a guildie needs a krono, I give them one for a few dollars in RL.

I'm probably closer to the normal krono user than most evil RMTers who farm as a "living."
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I was in a guild with a guy who traded krono for pizza. He gave you his address, you order it, and boom Krono. It's why EQ is great.
    Iyacc likes this.
  6. Febb Augur

As usual, people don't take into consideration that removing Krono would not stop RMT with tradeable items in game.
  7. Nolrog Augur

An interesting thing about Krono. Every one sold is originally purchased from Daybreak. There are no non-Daybreak Krono sold now, nor has there ever been.
  8. taliefer Augur

right. of course people will. this wouldnt stop that. but it would curtail it quite a bit. i've played on EQ since day 1, im well aware RMT has always been a thing.

but the ease of use of krono has made it vastly more popular. limiting it to one trade per krono would without a doubt cut down on the sheer amount of it going on on TLPS.

i dont even think in the grand scheme of things the 3rd party RMT of krono is the cancer that many people make it out to be, but stating making krono a one time trade would have no effect is just absurd. jsut as absurd as stating the RMT on TLPs is in line with out how it was "back in the day".
    Praetorian1 likes this.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Another way to look at what you are suggesting is that you are trying to make kronos less popular. Why would DBG even consider that?
  10. taliefer Augur

they wont. i doubt any changes to krono will ever happen. doesnt mean i cant say i think something is a good idea, just because i also realize it wont ever happen.

There is no way to convince me, or any rational human being, that being able to easily transfer currency from one game server to another is a healthy economic thing for a server. the business side of game development won out over game integrity in this case.
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I believe "game integrity in this case" is an illusion that might hold back an otherwise "rational human being".
  12. kizant Augur

The problem is that the economy on some servers is already in ruins. The income disparity is often astronomical between the wealthy and working class. Why shouldn't an entrepreneur, like myself, be able to transfer wealth to a new server and use it to create high paying jobs? I'll often pay double for that same fire tonic because I believe everyone deserves a livable wage. Most of us are here to help create strong thriving communities and Krono is a good tool to do it.
  13. Heartland Augur

ogre?
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Did you really just argue that forcing people to use 3rd party sites to RMT would kill 3rd party RMT?
  15. Barder-mangler Augur

I usually say there are no bad ideas but this one is a doozie. It would do literally nothing to limit RMT, would create even further krono plat inflation by reducing krono supply, and would deincentivize playing multiple accounts.

You want to limit RMT? Setup stings once a month and ban RMTers (both buyers and sellers). DBG can capitalize on krono sitting on their accounts becoming unuseable,force RMT’ers to spread their krono across MANY accounts to hedge against bans, and create an environment of fear in the RMT markplace.
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

Sounds so crazy it makes me wonder why other games and eqservers do this...
  17. Yummydain New Member

The only way to actually put a dent in RMT is to make all items, or even just the more sought after items, bind on pickup. Bots would have nothing to farm for other than for themselves. There would be nothing for them to farm for weeks on end to sell for Krono. DBG would also have to remove the ability to sell items from corpses, so then there would be no issues with holding camps to sell loot rights.

However, you'd still have an issue with bots / boxers selling PLs. I don't see any way around that unless they, again, went the WoW route and locked targets to whoever tagged it first... be it a taunt or AOE stun, whoever interacted with that mob first would "tag" it and hold all loot rights and exp rights.

EDIT: Whenever an argument or post is made against boxers / botters and their impact on playability, the usual crew of suspects chime in every time. I've seen the argument countless times that "EQ is meant to be excruciatingly difficult and time consuming". Adding "Bind On Pickup" and mob tagging would indeed make this game more difficult and time consuming. Not only would you have to farm your gear for yourself, you also wouldn't be able to enter your credit card details to buy Krono to get that item from the bazaar instantly. So yes, implement these changes, make the game more difficult, and clean up the servers from RMT in one fell swoop.
  18. Hdizzle Augur

Touch the part of the sentence that DBG should be concerned with.
  19. SunDrake Augur

Not that this is not abundantly clear to everyone else, but just so all you Mangler players realize: you are not the only Everquest server. When things don't work out the way you like on your server, it does not mean that it needs changing. Your server will mature and you too will join the ranks of all the other EQ players who have come to understand that [most] things have worked well enough and the playerbase has adapted to those realities.
  20. Warpeace Augur

Except you skipped right past the old "Want to sell loot rights to item X". They don't have to loot it right away. They can hold that camp forever like they are now blocking everyone until they either pay up or find something else. And apparently most pay up so the Krono farmers continues doing it.