How to deal with a 150k hitter in a group?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Qest T. Silverclaw, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Mithrandyr Augur

I think its a step below Lucid.
  2. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Pet tanking is pretty screwed too. The deaggro debuff plus the higher mob
    Mitigation makes it tricky.
  3. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Does HAgi count towards that total?
  4. Tearsin Rain Augur

as far as we know, no it doesn't.

AC from items, AC from spells, AC from your 'defense' skill, AC from agility up to (is it 235? i thought it was 255), AC from AAs such as armor of wisdom or the COTF achievement AAs.
    these all raise your Armor Class stat which is the stat that helps reduce the *1-20 portion of the DI roll that determines how much damage you take.

the AC value in your inventory sheet in-game adds numbers to that AC score that has nothing to do with that, which is why it's meaningless (for instance it adds AC for every point of the Avoidance mod2 even though Avoidance doesn't increase your DI reducing AC, and it also keeps adding numbers to your AC past 100 avoidance even though avoidance is hard capped at 100. the 'combat stability' AA also adds to your AC).
    for instance my AC value shows at 10,572 - my actual rAC (real AC, that is actually used to calculate the DI roll) is closer to somewhere around 3500-4k.

now, of course, that is ALSO a number without any real meaning since we have no idea how exactly AC translates to DI reduction other than "moar is gud", but the ultimate point that i was making from my first post on this subject is just that you shouldn't trust 'displayed AC' as your metric for gains in damage reduction power.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  5. Tearsin Rain Augur

and you're entitled to your opinion, but like so many (all?) of your opinions, this is one is factually and objectively wrong.

it is meaningless because it in no way reflects any value that is remotely true.
    even if you randomly decided to give the AC number in-game a pass for adding in things that don't actually increase your AC, there's still the fact that displayed AC doesn't factor any caps on anything.

wow, did you take the interactive tour twice?
  6. Marshall Maathers Augur

The only problem I have with the term meaningless vs. ambiguous is that certainly there is some meaning to walking into battle with your displayed ac being 1k.

You can objectively tell something about their rAC at that point ... that it isn't close to where it should be.
  7. Ammeren Augur

I've pet tanked a few Zerkers, it's very interesting to say the least.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  8. Tearsin Rain Augur

alright, fair enough - that's a semantic difference, but a valid one.
    and if we're talking in the broadest context, more displayed AC is most likely more DI reducing AC, the instances of displayed AC going up without a corresponding DI reduction are fairly low.
    but again, the original statement that was made was "get an agi buff, your displayed AC goes up and you take hits better" and that's what i was responding to in the first place, so... context!
  9. Mithrandyr Augur

10. Mithrandyr Augur

Some people never make it out of the factory...
  11. artofnoise Augur

There are far too many "confusing" core elements. EQ is a *very* high maintenance game. There are too many things to keep track of that are either not shown, mis-represented or are not clearly defined in the game UI. This is a continual hindrance to many new and returning players. Strides have been made in some areas to improve this, and I applaud the devs for their work.

I know it is simplistic, but I would rather see AC replaced with something like "Defense Rating". And don't get me started on the near-worthless ATK value...
    Elricvonclief and Serriah_Test like this.
  12. Serriah_Test Augur

This is something I've been trying to push.
    Without a parser and a metric F-Ton of parse data with controlled variables (shield vs no shield, LT augs vs pure damage augs, X Buff and without X buff), I'd be in the dark still.

Basically, I gave up on seeking knowledge from other players and went as close to the source as possible client-side. People will still argue, though. Some folks are rabid class-fan-bois and girls and will feed disinformation as fact... but then again, it only emulate life. How else would politicians have a career if they had to divulge facts rather than opinion.
    artofnoise likes this.
  13. Delbaeth Elder

After all, this is a game of fantasy with dragons and magic spells. It seems appropriate player knowledge is dominated by myth and legend. :)

Running reproducible tests and doing the statistics to learn their reliability generally leads to one conclusion. Nothing matters very much. You can pick your augs by looks and only lose a couple percent. The loudest voice in the room claiming some stat does absolutely nothing may be about as wrong as claiming the Earth is flat, which is to say surprisingly close to right as the curvature of the Earth is a mere 0.014 degrees per mile. That is about how effective most EQ stats are. While the difference between 0.014 degrees per mile and flat matters a lot in a cross ocean voyage EQ is about the size of a city park. It may take 100 of a stat to matter 1% but your choices in gear and augs amount to 10 or 20.

This is at least part of why the developers do not reveal their mechanics so plainly. We all know that fancy aug we camp for hours doesn't make much difference but even so it would be a downer for the game to reveal just how meaningless it all is with mathematical precision. It also means you can safely not worry about obscure mechanics. Just get the new gear in your tier as you progress and don't worry. What buttons you push when matters in the 20% to 100% range while which seemingly similar bit of gear you equip matters in the 0.1% to 0.5% range.
    Ghan likes this.
  14. Hiladdar Augur

All trash is raid geared ranger tankable, except the berserker, due to his short duration buff that negates all dodge, parry, and repo. In the case, the berserker mob has full debuffs, by shaman, enchanter and cleric, with the ranger stripping any buff that can be stripped with nature's entropy. This fully debuffed berserker mob is still not ranger tankable with weapon shield running or any weapon shield like short duration buff, since those abilities are based on parry. Even with full raid buffs, including shaman / druid growth, as a ranger get single rounded from full heath. In this case it does not matter how much healing is represented in a group.

Solution to problem, sick magician pet on it, afk bow, and pet it up, and focus on managing agro, and keeping pet up.

Somehow I get the feeling, this is not how the group game is not designed to be played, with magician pets tanking zone trash content
  15. Ravengloome Augur

Rangers aren't tanks. of course if you read that other post, apparently neither are tanks! hahaha