How Loot Works (need vs greed)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kalipto, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Kahna Augur

If I am a mage, how is it more greedy for me to want that FBSS so I can sell it and buy the rest of the spells I couldn't afford to get, and pick up 2 or 3 different items to replace/fill the empty slots on my character than it is for the rogue to want that FBSS to wear? We both want to upgrade our toons with the item. Neither of us is selling it for krono so we can pile it all up and swim in it like Scrooge McDuck.

But wait, that rogue just might be selling the FBSS for krono! Because honestly, the haste upgrade is minimal, and he can make a killing in these early days. Especially when groups like yours let him walk into the camp and get dibs. He can keep that up for a few weeks, selling 2 or 3 belts at inflated krono prices, then when the price finally drops to a reasonable number due to market saturation he can go ahead and buy one for a fraction of what he sold them for.

This is why needing everything is the fairest method. Sure, there are oldschool players who enjoy playing this way, and there are shady people who are fleecing you because you are naive.
    Thalliius likes this.
  2. Sturn Augur

Yeah for all that is being said about the value of either loot system, once you get into guild groups or find a group of people that you tend to regularly group with, I find that most people are pretty good about sticking to more traditional "NBG" style looting and you just help each other out at camps to get everyone geared. But in random PUGs, because of RMT and the ease of it with Krono, it just tends to reduce a lot of inner group strife when some caster rolls on the fbss claiming he "needs" it for his alt warrior. I really would prefer the old way too. I've just seen the difference in action between the two and have found that on the TLPs, groups go much smoother and seem to build more camaraderie with "all need" than when trying to enforce old school "NBG" loot rules. That's my personal experience anyways.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  3. Weebles Augur

In what world is it “greedy” and “selfish” to allow everyone an equal chance at all drops?

It goes both ways. When I’m on my monk at hand/wl and tranquil staff drops, everyone gets to roll on it, because that’s fair. Literally the opposite of greed.

What a stupid post.
    Thalliius likes this.
  4. Sturn Augur

The irony of calling people who want everyone to have a fair chance at all loot as "greedy"...
  5. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

It's quite simple and I've yet to ever run into a problem in any group.

People asking to join a group.
    • Can I join your group?
      • Sure here are the loot rules
    When I ask to join a group.
    • Hey can I join your group?
      • Can you tell me your loot rules?
        • Sounds great or no thanks I'll pass.
    Lowlife, Fallfyres and Sturn like this.
  6. birisu Elder

You're getting hung up on the names of the choices and not the functionality
    Thalliius likes this.
  7. Madae Elder

Whew, you're doing it again... you're putting words in my mouth and saying I said something that I didn't actually say at all. Damn, son. Now why did I even bother unignoring you? I thought we were trying to have a civil conversation, and yet here you are spouting nonsense yet again.

I'm not, actually. It was a funny comment, and you have zero sense of humor if that didn't cross your mind either.
  8. Sturn Augur

Never said you said anything. Just flipped what you said to make a point. I'll use quotes when I want to quote you.
  9. Madae Elder

You're not going to get away with implication and act like it was innocent. Sorry.
  10. Sturn Augur

If you aren't going to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when they use the quote system every time they quote on the forums, then I have no time for discussion with you.
  11. Madae Elder

Now THAT is some irony, considering the last discussion we had.
  12. Kahna Augur

Mythical? Try commonplace. And it's not even about Krono, it's about brand new servers. Those high value items go for a pretty penny at the start of a server, but quickly drop in value. That rogue who wins and wears an FBSS in the first week or two of a brand new server is an idiot, and most people playing the game these days aren't total idiots when it comes to the market. Sell it now, buy it again in a few weeks for a fraction of the price when the market gets saturated. Then you can buy a bunch of other upgrades for the rogue too. Would be the same situation even if there was nothing but plat in the game, but it doesn't hurt that Krono always appreciate and your FBSS is only going to depreciate.

And again, most people aren't getting that krono so they can swim around in it like Scrooge McDuck, they are getting it so they can upgrade their own character with items. How is, "Get plat so I can get an upgrade and screw the rest of the group" any different than "get that item that is an upgrade and screw the rest of the group." Oh, wait, I know the difference. In the first one everyone had a fair shot at rolling on the item that would lead to upgrades for them.
    Thalliius likes this.
  13. Madae Elder

Might be more beneficial to just sit on it for a month or two until prices go up. Right now, krono is relatively cheap. In Kunark, it will be around 5k or so. Best bang for your buck a few weeks before Kunark launches, probably, maybe a month.
  14. Machentoo Augur

This is a great example. You toss this out as a community problem, but people don't go to the /sup camp because of the stats on the items that drop there. Everyone wants a DE illusion clicky, and since everyone can use it, there is no sense in getting up in arms over everyone wanting to roll. Even the Dark Elf can use it as a junk buff for dispells on dragons, and there aren't too many of those floating around in classic. Quite simply, YOU are being the greedy one if you think the item should default to you.

This is compounded by the fact that you (and players like you) don't even have a clue as to how the game works. This item is valuable now precisely because it is usable by everyone. If you want the bard/rog only version, come back in a couple months when the all/all clicky version no longer drops. You won't have anyone rolling against you then. You are depriving people of a click they can use forever, and will only be able to get in the first few months, for a few stats on an item that you will replace within a week.
    Thalliius likes this.
  15. taliefer Augur

pretty bad example to use to make your point, since the dark elf mask is only clickable by every class for a limited time on progression servers, so of course everyone rolls on it.
  16. Kaysa New Member

Yeah because 6 second cast clickies are great for raids. You don't raid much do you?
  17. Machentoo Augur

They sure don't hurt to have up at the start.
  18. Weebles Augur

Honestly, you were the only one that SHOULDNT have been rolling on it. You can get the post nerf version, whereas your groupmates can only get this version, and only for a short time period.

Such a horrible community when bards and rogues are trying to take pre-nerf guises from other classes, smh...
    Thalliius and Machentoo like this.
  19. The Hated One Augur

As main looter never seem to have this problem while boxing my 6 toons. I just sit and decide if the item needs to go on a toon and then award it. Or i loot on 1 toon until they are full then start on the next. Not a real issue. They never click need. They are incredibly easy to work with and aren't greedy. Except for the rogue. I suspect he might be lifting loot behind the mobs back but I haven't really checked his bags lately to confirm that. He is a sneaky one.
  20. Machentoo Augur

And also, no, I don't. I think we established that earlier in the thread.