How long is the Honed Wurmslayer relevant?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Password1234, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Password1234 Augur

I took a break from playing my SK for a while, and I more or less left off at TBM. Now that I'm going to be going through EoK and beyond, I remember seeing that the Honed Wurmslayer was a powerful piece of equipment when it came out. Is it still used at 115, or does the mitigation buff become obsolete at some point?

This is for a group-geared SK who will not be able to upgrade it.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

My perspective is 100% skewed by being raid-geared. That being said, I would say that, in general, the (fairly small) buff on the Wurmslayer will be of less benefit than the extra stats and damage on a current-era weapon. There will be a few situations where it can come in handy, so it's might be worth picking one up if you don't have it, but I wouldn't prioritize it over a ToV weapon.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

I would say "forever" or at least until a new item upgrades the SPA 162 effect (melee guard). The reason being is that it's a great weapon for farming older content, including older raids.

Pair it with the Skull of Null, which is in the same category of longevity, with its SPA 261 effect (spell guard).
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

For a grouper, I'd say its better for tanking than the current 1h group weapon.

If you get the raid upgrade, definitely is.

As a raider, I used it through RoS. I switched in TBL for mhubis weapon.
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. p2aa Augur

If you can keep a nearly constant SPA 162 up, then the Wurmslayer doesn't need to last longer than the next expansion, at least as a main weapon.
    Warriors can with Brace for Impact.
    Paladins can with Protective spell line.
    SK can with Skin line.
    As a raiding warrior, I replaced mine with next expansion warrior only weapon.
    So as a main weapon I view it as obsolete at lvl 115, for current group content too.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Yep.

And it's super easy to get a post-EoK level player and worth farming for an EoK-level player.
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I second this.

I'm not saying it's useless, but I am saying I would not use it over a current tier weapon in most situations. The 150 base damage increase (on top of better stats) from using Velium Infused War Hammer instead is going to be of more benefit than a ~1500 damage reduction on melee hits in the majority of meaningful content.

It has its uses, yes, but it should not be your main weapon at this point.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

I still often use it to stack with an SPA 168 disc to help that disc last it's full duration. While other SPA 162 can supersede it (on hits over 17500 for typical 10% guard buffs), since it has no cap, it's always there to mitigate most all hits under 17.5k and otherwise when a SPA 162 buff is down. Every little bit adds up.
  9. bortage spammin lifetaps

it's still useful for the prince rallafan mission in TBL if you want to completely trivialize the little tiny adds so pick one up whenever and just bag it until you're doing jann's veil
    Foliax and Szilent like this.
  10. MaddielynBlackStar Lorekeeper

They replaced the spell guard from trinket and melee guard from wurmslayer with specialty augs you earn from rare drops doing missions. Quest earring from TOV and several rare loots from TBL have a lot of the similar bonuses with certain augs you can farm for them. Unfortunately it is a massive time sink and lot of farming.
  11. Szilent Augur

All this is not correct. You may be crossing up some information? The Jann illusion does a 500 points version of Wurmslayer's 1750, and a 500 points version of Guard of Null's 1750. The Jann illusion is wholly unrelated to evolvers of either expansion