How long do EQ expansions last?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by nodontcarekkthxbye, Feb 16, 2020.

1. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Am, getting sick of playing on TLPs.

How long does the content in the new expansions last. The thing I like about TLP is there is always more content around the corner, buts its always the same as the last TLP. Are there huge gaps in content between releases, which seem to be once a year?
  2. Derka Power Ranger

Yes a new expansion is released every year. With a decent amount of play time you will be finished with it in a few months, usually around anniversary time for that new chase item and then hardcore heritage comes out in June for more stuff to get. If you raid however you will be busy throughout the whole year.
    Daedly likes this.
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Honestly, I would recommend picking up a different game.

I'll probably get blasted for saying this, especially because I have played EQ a ton lately.

If you are not already established on regular servers, it can take a very long time to catch up to the player base. The game is just so old...there's so much to do, and it's a bad thing for a new player since the number of new players is so small. Sure, there are plenty of guilds set up with lots of returning players, but EQ really does feel like an old man's club.
  4. Bamboompow Augur

Even if you are established on regular servers, getting caught up takes a disproportionate amount of effort at times. Especially if you missed the big progression push right at release. Its a very small window and with EQ being so clique-ish, it gets to be challenging to get help as an "outsider". My characters are now over 2 expacs behind compared to the bulk of the players and getting caught up seems doubtful, even with boxing.

Instead of getting ToV for all of my accounts, I bought Elder Scrolls Online instead. It is what it is. ESO has a much larger player base and yah...its not an old man's club. EQ certainly is. A curmudgeonly one at times. If raiding isn't important to your play style, than Ravanta is right. Play some other game. If you have confidence you can get caught up with EQ on a Live server before this coming November, than you should be OK when the starter gun fires on that first day of new expac 2020. Also,some live servers are definitely healthier than others, so ask around.
    Bobokin and Karthos like this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

A lot of it depends on what you do with your time. The Devs have done a decent job expanding rewards out over play times. If you play very little, you can spend most of the expansion cycle doing quests and leveling. If you play a lot, you can spend the expansion cycle working on tradeskill earrings, ACH based evolving items, hunter achievements, etc. If you don't like these rewards, then there wont be new content for you.

Personally I think something that is greatly under-utilized is all access. YOu don't need a new game if you like EQ. You already have new games. DCUO and EQ2 are options to you included in your EQ sub. If you are feeling bored with EQ but don't want to go else where, utilize your all access membershipand diversify your play time.
    code-zero and Daedly like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The content lasts as long as you play it. There is so much to do I really doubt most of the players have completed any expansion. The raiders leave out the little quests and the casual players don't do raid content and the tradeskillers are just nuts.
  7. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

I only care about raiding, I should have put that in the message, damnit.
  8. Bamboompow Augur

Are TLPs all you have played in? Doubtful but If their pace is too slow, you should do fine in a top 10 raiding guild. For now you can exploit a mid-tier guild to level/gear, lie to them that you will be with them forever and be a key player...and then jump ship at the nearest convenient SNAFU. Happens all the time, to the point that mid -tier are glad to just have someone worth a crap on loan for a while. They know who is gonna screw them and who won't. There are no original schemes in this game after 20+ years. Old tricks are the best tricks. Or you can find an alt guild that is a feeder guild for a large raiding guild as well too. Just pick a guild you want to ultimately join and if possible, set up shop on that server and then pursue your goal. I would recommend Xegony.
  9. Conq Augur

A talented player (as opposed to starting from scratch) could catch up and be raid ready once you're 115 and ~20kish AA's. That amount of time depends on your playtime - could be weeks, could be months. Once you're at 115, there will be more to do in EQ than you will have time in the day.
    Conq
  10. Mazame Augur

Getting caught up is not as hard as people make it sound.
    If your new to a sever you can PL your self with a War merc 1-50 in a 4-12 hours. If you know where to do and based on if you got some one to DS you.
    From 50-85 it can slow down based on class but most can knock this out in a week. (about 20-30 hours)

You can by pass all of that by going heroic if you wish (I do not recommend this path unless you know how to play and are just trying to save time. Heroic will give you a lot of the stuff you need with out having to spend the time to farm it. If you don't know what I am talking about then your not ready to raid.

You will still need do some old content ( epic / Vish / Clicky farm ) but this stuff you can do at max level in a fraction of the time so hold off on it for now.

From 85 to 90 You will want to grind in a Hot zone. With out some one to Power level you this is can take some time.
    Do the pok daily mission for Gear / bonus xp
    Look for an Active guild ( by active i mean find out that when you log in you have 30+ people on line. the more the better.) Yes you can find groups out side of a guild but finding a good active guild will make finding group much more enjoyable. Also a number of these guilds will have higher level players that can help you get done faster.
    Time table on this Very from 1 day to 1 year based on the effort you put into it and your willingness to be social. (if you want to raid you need to be Social)

At level 90 you can now do a number of things. It is also when the Expansions become required if you want to become a Raider. The reason I say this is because Heroic AA are tied to these and are a big part of any raid toon. You also unlock trophy and other things that guild will look at if you want to be in an effective raiding guild.

19 Rain of Fear November 2012 20121128 Notes
    20 Call of the Forsaken October 2013 20131008 Notes
    21 The Darkened Sea November 2014 20141115 Notes
    22 The Broken Mirror November 2015 20151118 Notes
    23 Empires of Kunark November 2016 20161116 Notes
    24 Ring of Scale December 2017 20171212 Notes
    25 The Burning Lands December 2018 20181211
    26 Torment of Velious December 2019 20191218

I left EQ when Call of the Forsaken came out and Returned at the start of Ring of Scale. I was able to get caught up in 3 months. So it is doable in a reasonable time frame if it is your goal.

Tips for getting caught up. (again you must be 90+ to start this)
    1st off Level Higher levels will enable you to do more and get you where you want to be faster.
    AA are needed but Auto grant will give you what you need so focus on Leveling ( if you grind aa you will often buy something that will later be auto granted to you. This means wasted time and effort)

Focus on Merc and progressions task so that you can then request missions.
    Run RoF missions to get coin and use those coins to Gear up

When you get to 100 Switch from RoF to TBM again this will give you the most coin that you can use to gear up with. Also you Must run these missions a lot so it gets you done faster.

At 110 you can then get ToV T1 gear from the Baz it is the best gear you can use until your 115 so it worth the investment. (also if your in a good guild they may help you get these as they rot alot.)

At 115 you can now work on grinding aa and going back to do the quest your missing. from the above exp.

Once you done all the merc / Part quest look for people to help you run the missions And work on the /ach cheese

Once you done this you can then focus on some of the EPIC quest / click effect items you will want for raids.
    Epic / Cure Clickies / COP, COM click and so on

work on these while you getting AA till your at 20-30k aa (it sounds like a lot but with auto grant you will get 12-18k so it not as bad as you think.

At that point if you like the guild your in then stay with them and start attending open raids. This will let you get a feel for how raiding is different.

Once you feel your ready to raid and commit to a raid team do some research find a team that will work for you.

The #1 guild out there is NOT where you want to start looking or even the Top 5. The reason for that is because your head will explode. Top end raid guild Move at a very fast pace and if your new to raiding then there a lot to learn and you will be miserable in a top end raid guild.

Look for a mid tier raid guild that raids day and times you can be on. These guild will help you learn about events in a more friendly environment. Many people find these guild work best with their life and will spend years in these guilds.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Zamiam Augur

you can get to 50 or 60 within 12 hours of grinding with a High lvl DS ..
    use a tank merc .. dont forget to get the buffs on tank also
    depending on Class get your Epic asap .. an Epic can help you alot if your an sk, shaman , or Necro ..
    if your able to box its always better with 2 and 2 mercs :p at higher lvls ..
    my personal opinion .. I stay away from hotzones .. lately they are way far away takes forever to get to them mobs are hard or packed together so you end up pulling 2 ,3 or more at a time .. and the xp isnt the greatest when you calculate how long it took you to run there kill the mobs and run back .. find youself a nice bonus ZEM . usually a dungeon and go to work .

this is what I do when I lvl a lowbie toon .. mind you I always have a high lvl DS , HP and regen buff on my low toons

the longest time is getting to 20 .. once there the lvls fly by

Gloomming deep till 8 or 9 ..
    Cresent Reach - 8 -9 to 21
    blightfire 21 - 40, 41
    Dulaks Harbor 45-48 you can usually stay in dulaks till low to mid 50's you got the last boat that is lvl 50ish and then you got the caves with the creatures forget their name ..

Crypt of Nadox or Veksar till 55 -60 you can actually go to veksar as early as 48 and do gobbies at entrance ..

GE 55 - 65 front end of GE (greigs end) is low end center area and back end is higher end
    Paw ( yes split paw) 65 - 75ish the elementals

between these lvls 65 to 75 tank merc becomes a bit less sturdy so you will need to either help kill mobs quicker , heal merc, maybe both or if you can tank mobs get yourself a healer merc .. I would suggest getting a healer merc..

couple of those zones overlap .. some toons depending on lvl can handle certain zones earlier than others.. the zones are not overcrowded and most the time you have the zones to yourself ..

also some mobs run .. so have snare or root ready .. ex: dulaks the run at low health same with crypt and Veksar..
    also to note : sometimes its easier and faster xp killing LB (Light blues) than it is taking 3-5 min killing that 1 red or yellow mob ..

armor can be bought in baz for rather inexpensive amount of pp .. also there is a merc by loyalty merchant that sells lvl appropriate gear for the off slots ears,fingers, face, cloak etc..

if your a pet class dont worry bout gear till higher lvls 80+ my 105 bst didnt buy any gear and was fighting in pretty much stuff that dropped till he was 80+ .. pets and merc can do alot

get into a nice family guild at first .. even if you leave once your max lvl or close to it .. they can and usually do help out alot .

75 - 80 lots of options : you got SoD progresson zones .. Oceangreen , FoS (keep to the mobs that say relatively weak) usually animals ..

also MPG and RSS are decent zones .

. Kaesora library , Kurns tower, Tosk ( all zones in SoD the void) lvl 80 -85 zones and all decent xp ..

85 -90 HoT

and remember if the mobs are too tough for ya at that lvl go kill LB's for a bit ..

thats the way I lvl most the time .. .and it works for me .. I also use Xp pots at higher lvls and lesson .. I also have all veteran rewards on most if not all my accounts ..

check out /claim . usually get a mount (which adds H|M|E ) even at lvl 1.. also there is usually a bag that has 10xp pots 10 run pots and some basic armor .. and a gate book ..

just my 2cp worth

getting from 1-90 in 2 days is not impossible ..

P.S> Mercs eat experience so if you can kill mobs with not using one you get more experience :p I would only sugest this if your a class that can survive by yourself ...
  12. Lilura Augur

As others have said, we get an expac every December. Some endure beyond that.

EOK is popular because rangers can headshot the sarnak, especially in Frontier Mountains. I watched two raid geared rangers decimate a sarnak fort. They didn't even need a healer, the sarnak never got close.

FM is also popular with bot farmers. If you see a group at Bi'Faak or a fort, all anon and unresponsive, it's likely a Chinese plat farming group.

ROS has held up because it's good exp, especially Howling Stone and Sathir's Tomb. Pallies love ST.

TBL was a hairball of an expac, probably the worst since GoD and I don't think it will ever find the eventual redemption GoD scored once the bugs were fixed. TBL sucks harder than a Dyson and has been abandoned in favor of ToV. Stratos is a ghost town now.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

Top tier players..

Grp progression typically couple days..

one off expansion related evolvers.. again couple days to a week ..

Earring would prolly take no more then a week for top players.
  14. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

I played original classic through to pop when they were released on Xegony when they first came out.
  15. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Im a real idiot, ok well Id be buying a heroic character, and all I care about is getting him to max level , with pertanent AAs then raiding. Should have put that in the main message too.
    Yinla and Whulfgar like this.
  16. Risiko Augur

Catching up on LIVE is pretty easy honestly when it comes to levels and AAs. Like others have said in this thread, mercenaries and the rate of experience gain makes it an easily accomplish-able goal.

Gear is going to be another thing all together. Sell some kronos, and buy what you can. The non-purchasable items you will have to quest and raid to get. Not impossible by any means. Just will take commitment to get it done.

The important thing here is finding the right Live server for you. There is no reason to start on a server and put a ton of time in to it only to find out that no one plays there that you want to play with. Make a level 1 character on all Live servers, and spend time talking in general on each server to get a feel for each one before choosing one to start on for real.

Of course, if it doesn't work out later on, just pay for a transfer to what ever was your second choice. Eventually, you will find a group of people that you fit with.

EverQuest is far from dead. You just have to put the effort in to making it what you want.

Ps. Keep in mind that some Live servers do not allow transfers off of them. Be aware of that when choosing a server. FV is one of those servers. It's an interested server, but know that your character is stuck there if you play on it.
  17. Mazame Augur

I enjoyed TBL more so then i am enjoying ToV
    Yinla likes this.
  18. Evye Augur

19. Bamboompow Augur

Bristlebane is another server to check out besides Xegony. Reckless Ascension have been known to take people under their wing while being accomplished. Jhenna is pretty active here on the boards and is a good POC. There are a few other guilds on BB as well that do pretty well. RA you stand a good chance of being able to stay there long term while leveling and then transition to raiding with them. They have room for whatever class you want to play., based on their current recruitment needs.

There are some servers you should avoid unless you want to move off them later. Won't mention which, though. Those servers might have a higher opinion of themselves then reality! :D None of them are bad in particular but some do suffer from low player populations, very limited prime times with sparse raiding options. Those low pop servers are fine if you know people on them and they can help you. Otherwise, be ready to box multiple accounts. If you are starting from scratch and know basically no one on Live, you want a busy server with some well known guilds so you have the best chance of interacting with other players.
  20. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Ok, sounds good guys thanks, alot.