How is mage after PoP

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Mentoss, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Mentoss New Member

hi guys,

im currently playing a mage on agnarr and while i generally enjoy the class i feel like the class is at the lower end of the food-chain in regards to dps and generall value for groups and even less so for raids.

now, with the new tlp's i need to deside if i should main mage again or main another class.

Since i never came further than PoP, what is your opinion/experience with mages in later expansions? are they fun to play and valuable for groups & raids or do they never start to shine compared to other dps-classes?

thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
  2. Conq Augur

Mages in current live content are overpowered. One man armies. A group to themselves. TLP mages? Sorry, don't give two fooks.
    Conq
    Micaiah likes this.
  3. jeskola pheerie

You are mageing wrong if you are low dps. Also, the answer really depends on what you want. Are you boxing? Are you wanting to pet tank? Mages are awesome in groups and raids when played right.
  4. Vizier Augur

This post is true IF you have gotten most of your AAs done. Mages are OP, but they are huge AA hogs. You need all your pet, passives and actives online before you start to see meaningful dps. Mages also require a ton of micro management to keep their dps up with all the clicky nukes.

You need macros, lots of macros. Macros for reclaiming. Macros for Fire and Ice clickies. Macros for creating rods and auto bagging them. Macros for swapping spell sets...etc.
    Waitwhat likes this.
  5. Brohg Augur

I don't find that to be true of magicians in any degree more intense than other classes. Good dps performance is pretty entirely based on staying active; magicians that cast more spells will beat magicians that have more AA 100% of the time. Packing on AA for Companion's Fury & spell focuses certainly helps (the game would be broken if they didn't), but a good magician is good with or without them.

Also, I don't use macros. I've one social for Force of Elements AA & Firebound Orb together, to sit in my multibind. Social buttons with 5 lines is what I presume you mean by macros? Using those for a modrod or to swap spell sets or that other stuff -- well, it reminds me of how Zaknaffein does a warrior, which I'm wayyy not a fan of. Macros for days, macros that don't add any benefit or even save any buttons; they just add layers of obfuscation to the UI.
  6. Vizier Augur

Without macros to recover to full mana from newly rezzed you must:

1: Suspend minion
    2: Monster Summoning
    3: Reclaim Energy Bag clicky
    4: Monster Summoning
    5: Reclaim Energy Bag clicky
    6: Monster Summoning
    7: Reclaim Energy Bag clicky
    8: Monster Summoning
    9: Reclaim Energy Bag clicky
    10: Suspend minion

With macros I click 2 buttons, steps 1-5, and 6-10 respectively. (I also use 1 button when i want to just get half mana or so). You can say anything you want about not being a fan of macros but my way is more efficient. People don't make macros because they don't know how and don't care enough to learn not because they like clicking buttons.
    Skewert likes this.
  7. Ryino Elder

I'm not a fan of a ton of macros either. I use some but not for like monster summoning or to cycle nukes. I just end up keybinding the stuff I use the most so that I don't have to deal with lag vs pause screwing things up. I have dealt with way too many mages that come in thinking they can make some magic nuke macro and out DPS an active player. Same thing always happens, they get into a raid zone, the lag causes their pause to bork their macro and they cast nothing for 10 seconds.

As for the OPs question it really depends, some expansions mages were pretty good and some they were not. I always had fun on my mage and I think it gives a great balance for whatever play style you might have. We do pretty good in raids / groups / solo, and bring some utility through mod rods / pet gear / DS / COH and way later through synergy. If you plan on spending a decent amount of time solo / moloing I would probably go with a pet class just to save yourself the headache.
  8. Boze TLP complaint factory

On Phinny mages started to be competitive dps in TBS, and can easily top raid parses in SoF and SoD. Any pet from TSS onward is amazingly beefy and can tank most group content. So on midrange TLPs they're a super solid class right now that can deal a ton of damage while also being pretty pet tanky.
  9. Vizier Augur

Just to be clear to OP: do not macro nukes. I never said anything of the sort. I've never heard of macroing nukes outside of some sort of primitive boxing set up. Nukes should be bound to a hot key or a hotbar set up. If you are a mouse clicker, the best thing I can say about you is that you are an inefficient savant. Quoting for Dougies wizard guide:

"In general, the big idea of a multibind is that it absorbs & obviates the attention needed to weave together disparate cooldowns on abilities that serve the same general purpose, so that the user can focus more on broader aspects of the game rather than "playing the UI" from second to second. A multibind translates the will of the player (ahem, [mage] - whose will is "nuking that") into casting the best available spell whenever you hit the button."

When jammin' on the multibind button, the EQ client will behave correctly in that it always chooses to cast a spell if one is ready before doing non-spell things."

You don't macro spells, you macro the tedious tasks, obviously. Tasks like Summoning Ice Clickys, Bagging them, Then retargetting the mob you were fighting. Same with Fire clickys. REclaiming pets. Reloading mod rods. It's optional but I also use macro to swap between normal spells and and burn spell and rebuffs.

I am CONSTANTLY reloading my clickys mid fight. I would wager a large amount of money that the people who aren't using macros to reload their clicky bar are not casting anywhere near as many clicky nukes as I am. It's too much hassle, and if it wasn't automated it would reduce my dps mid fight. If I couldn't automate the process I doubt I would use the damn things at all.
  10. Mentos New Member

Thank you all for your feebacks.

This gave me a good impression and i'll likely go for the mage again:).

C u online guys,
    Mentoss
    Vizier likes this.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

So you are casting the frost clicky? I con dubious to it...

I cast the summon fire clicky with mouse, and have a button on the mouse for bagging, that way I can be back on autofired multibind just after summon, and bag during CD. Often I bag a 9-charge fireorb. Macrolines take a fraction of a second, is it like .1 or .2 sec?
  12. Vizier Augur

The thread is dead, I was trying to help the OP. Go back to your mouse clicking.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

Okies.
  14. Leland_Fallon New Member

whats the macro you use exactly?
  15. Cicelee Augur

I will say that getting RS at level 70 opens up a lot for the magician in the solo/group game. And I don't remember when our first XYZ of Many spell is, but that helps out tremendously in the raid game.

I would say pre those two specific points, magicians are good. Once you get RS, you become stronger in group content. Once you get XYZ of Many, you become strong in raid content. And IIRC there is a point were pets jump up in power more than usual, maybe it is COTF? For the solo merc that is helpful.

Finally, the introduction of healer mercs in SOD is a game changer for the solo magician.

In summation, the three most important points during a magician's progression are getting RS, getting Many, getting healer merc. We improve substantially at those three inflection points IMHO.