How important is ferocity upgrades?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Razok, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Razok New Member

As an example. If you already have a Fero 3 item how important and how great an increase is it going to Fero 5?
    Or is it not really necessary?

I realise it's a 6% increase but in the magical and confusing world of EQ calculations what is the actual dps increase?
  2. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

It depends what your current Double Attack skill is. Let's say you're level 70 with 260 skill.

Here's the equation for Double Attack chance:
    Code:
    Double Attack Chance = (Skill + Level) * Mod / 500
                         = (260 + 70) * [ Ferocity III (9%) ] / 500
                         = (330) * (1.09) / 500
                         = 72%
    Code:
    Double Attack Chance = (Skill + Level) * Mod / 500
                         = (260 + 70) * [ Ferocity V (15%) ] / 500
                         = (330) * (1.15) / 500
                         = 76%
    So Fero III -> V is like a 4% increase to Double Attack. The DPS question is harder to answer, but as a rough estimate I would say it would increase your melee DPS by 4%. You will miss more, triple attack more, and flurry more (by the same %) from increasing your double attack. Double attack is the one of the best ways to increase your DPS (when you have a choice) because your triple/flurry increase on top of that.

Look at a fight on gamparse, longer is better. You want the duration (s), total melee hits (slash/pierce/crush), and average melee hit.

As an example we'll say you did 500 hits, avg hit of 250, for a 2 minute fight (120s) = 1041 DPS.

Code:
    DPS increase (roughly) = (avg melee hit * total melee hits * 0.04) / duration
                           = (250 * 500 * 0.04) / 120
                           = 41.7 DPS (4% increase)

3. Razok New Member

Thanks for the reply! That was pretty much what i was after! :)