How hard is it to come back?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Drina, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Reht The Dude abides...

Absolutely agree, with the changes that others have discussed it's pretty damn easy to come back; the mountain is not even close to being as big as it appears, especially if you are comparing it to how hard it was to level in classic. The biggest hurdle might be finding a new social circle but there are a couple of big family style guilds that are active on these and they would be a great place to start back in. Good luck.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Reval Augur

Whether eq is great or terrible is always going to involve bias, which makes it all opinion based. I doubt either of you will really change the other person's opinion.

This thread is supposed to be on whether or not it is hard to come back. I would say it is a bit difficult to really get a toon up there, but it has been made easier through various steps that were already described. It may be helpful to do some research. If you plan to raid, then see what raiding guilds really meet your schedule well. If you plan to just play casually, then look for a casual guild. I don't think it's good to limit yourself to a server for no reason, but Xegony probably is a decent choice if you can't find old friends that still play on another server. Corwyn's guild is there, and if you instead want to do huge high end raids (assuming his guild doesn't), there are other high end raiding guilds on that server that seem to be doing pretty well.

Maybe people could describe their server's pros and cons vs other servers. I can't really recommend Zek until they fix PvP in instances. It's currently a broken server.

[IMG]
  3. Laronk Augur

4. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I would suggest coming back and copying to Test so that you have access to everything but TDS. Then look into joining either Primal Brood, Infinty Of Light or Nostalgic Legends (new progression guild) and once you've gotten used to the game again then you can choose whether or not to invest in a sub and the most recent expansion.

Playing for free on a Live server isn't terrible but there are a lot of restrictions compared to Test and a lot of benefits on Test as well including access to Call of The Forsaken, permanent 200% experience everywhere, every toon on every account gets full vet rewards, you can reset your AAs at any time using /resetaa, you can start at level 25 with full gear using /testbuff and you can copy things from Live using /testcopy once every 8 hours on any toon from any Live server (TLP included). We also get the patches a week ahead of Live to "test" them out although they could still use some serious improvement in communication and working with the active players on Test.

Now for the cons. You don't want to recopy with the toon you intend to play as that does replace the copy you have on Test when you do it. Also the population is smaller there than other servers and there is no active guild currently raiding in COTF or TDS. We had a guild doing COTF t2 raids but when Daybreak chose not to give TDS to Test a lot of them either retired, went on hiatus or went to other servers so that guild died. There are a couple (mentioned above) that are working towards building up a raid force and that do help each other out with things in game.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
  5. Viper1 Augur

Judging by how quickly I see people dump a new MMO when the content runs out, I'm not sure I'd say it's a majority of players who want the ultra-casual experience. I've seen lots of new MMOs start up and it's the power gamers who make up a large segment of the population. They poopsock their way through the meager amounts of content (that took 5-7 years to develop) and then get bored and move on. Now, if what you say is true, that MMOs are mostly populated by "filthy" casuals who want to play for 30 minutes a few times a week, I'd expect to see more people left after the mass exodus of power gamers. However, all too often, these games are ghost towns after the initial wave of players gets bored and leaves. Which leads me to believe that it's the core gamers that make up a majority and they're simply moving from game to game hoping for a more fulfilling experience and never find it.

Less popular with whom? Publishers who want to turn a quick buck in the first quarter after release? Or the actual core gamers who want to play a good, solid game? I think it's the big corporate publishers who are pushing the instant gratification thing because a) they feel a need to recoup 7 years of investment in 3-6 months and b) it's much easier to make a game to last 3-6 months than it is to make a game that has 16 years of staying power. So they'll feed us whatever MMO-crack they think it will take to get a fat payday at release, but once the come down happens and we realize how shallow their game is, almost everyone moves on to something else. Publishers aren't interested in epic, open ended MMOs because corporate bonuses are paid out based on quarterly profits, not profits to be realized 5 or 10 (or 16) years from now. Core gamers, on the other hand, are interested in a game with a more meaningful experience.

This is true, but it's also not much of a factor for someone who played EQ in the past and is considering a comeback. Former EQ players know they're not getting cutting edge graphics, but they don't care about cutting edge graphics either. For a thread asking about "coming back" I'm assuming they know what to expect in terms of graphics.

But on another note, we as gamers have always said "gameplay trumps pretty graphics" or "I'd rather play an awesome game that looks like than a pretty game that plays like ." So I would not say the dated look of EQ is a "fatal flaw" for a returning player because if it were, they wouldn't be posting the question here in the forums in the first place.

I've played many current gen MMOs where there are lots of players looking to poopsock their way through it, putting inordinate amounts of time into the game. My experience has been that players are more than willing to sacrifice large amounts of time to play a game. 3-4 hour play sessions is not uncommon even for a "casual" MMO. The, quote, "current generation" is not monolithic in their time investments, there is a dichotomy between core gamers and "filthy" casuals, so overreaching generalizations are inaccurate at best and outright deceiving at worst.

IMO, I don't think this is what players really want, I think it's what large, corporate publishers are willing to give us. And since they can do the whole cash grab thing before players burn out in 3-4 months, they are being rewarded for their (lack of) effort. If someone ever put out a modern game with the depth of content that EQ has, I think they would do quite well for themselves, as long as the short-sighted bean counters who know nothing of gaming don't get in the way.
    Wohl and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  6. xukil of luclin Curator of a UI

I came back a few years ago and I was 76 with 340aas and mostly PoTime geared...now I'm 105 with 11750aa's and CoTF t1 geared and it was a blast getting there. I chose to 3 box most of the way but the guild I am in Desciples of the rising fire is awesome with very helpful people and tons of experienced players.

The people on this forum aren't your typical players in the game. The only way to know if you will like coming back is to give it a try...:eek:
  7. Laronk Augur

Also things not to do
    1. While I box I also have a lot of in game friends, I would suggest to not listen to the poster that said "just box to 100" maybe box 1 character but always try to add people to your group

2. Don't play on test that's a terrible *HALFLING* idea, it does have a community but you can't leave and the community is small.

3. When you log in you will get this little red book Hero's Journey it will open up an achievement list with tons of quests upto level 85 that give decent gear, you might level a bit slower doing these but they give you a bit more of the modern mmo feel and it gives you something to do rather than just doing a pure grind.

4. if you need things to do in game pm me on the forums or send a tell to firiona.peng or firiona.rainbowsparkles and I'll find you quests for your level or a good place for you if you don't want to do straight grinding.
  8. Viper1 Augur

Nobody is trying to convince someone under the age of 16 to come out and play eq1. This thread is specifically directed at a returning player. I don't know why you insist on going off on this tangent. But gameplay over graphics is not generation specific concept. Look at swtor, they made a conscious decision to use crappy graphics so it would run on low end systems. They were still able to attract young gamers.
  9. Drina New Member

I know EQ is not the new and shiny. Me either. I know the younger generation may want to be able to log in fast, queue up an instance and twitch fight their way to big gear, drops or an easy win (probably while verbally abusing their total stranger raid mates for their lack of perceived perfection--if they are communicating at all). Frankly the instant gratification gimme gimme now entitlement is one of the things that makes me crazy about said generation and the catering to it is the primary reason why WoW is on my nerves.

Viper1 is correct. I know what EQ is and what it isn't and I wouldn't be asking the question if I didn't know what I was getting. I loved the community, the grouping, the adventuring, the working together. I don't want to box (though I have and can). I don't really even want to play with mercs. (omg seriously?) If I wanted to play in a beautiful but socially disconnected world I'd stay in my garrison in WoW. What I didn't want was to come back to Norrath and still be primarily alone because I can't find a group unless I box it or buy it.

Thank you so very much to the majority of you who gave me some really great insight into the improvements and changes that make returning and meeting my intended goal a realistic possibility.

@Darkark Thanks for putting it in perspective. I think I'd rather give EQ a whole-hearted shot than eat another Quarter Pounder or go to a movie. You were the one that pushed me over!

@Corwhyn I rolled a new baby cleric on Xegony last night to do the tutorial just because I liked the sound of you and your guild. I even saw your MGB announcement and was going to send you a tell but I was too busy running to the guards with six spiders, the Queen and Spider Tamer Gugan. Ahhh its good to be home.

@DarkLord While most of the rest of what you had to say really had nothing to do with me and what I asked I will thank you for this important reminder:

So I had the good sense to encourage my other half (Towd the Ranger) to come along.
    Motherlee likes this.
  10. Andronicus Elder

Drina,

Just give it a try, it's free or cheap at the worst.

I played 1999-2003 on Veeshan, and came back to play about 2013.

I still enjoy it.
  11. Slowhand Elder

There will be quite a bit to learn and to relearn. Fortunately there are many people both on the forums and in game to help out if you get stuck.

I could go on and on about how much I have enjoyed my return. That opinion doesn't mean a thing because it only applies to me. Eventually I will likely move on to something else. Doesn't make it a bad game.

The only way for you to know if the game is for you or not is to play it. You lose nothing by trying it again. If you like it? Great. Next decision is whether to subscribe or not. Don't like it? Not a problem. Move on. It wasn't for you.

What you shouldn't do is make a decision based on someone else's opinion. Especially from someone who is bitter and has some type of agenda. Don't let someone else's negativity discourage you from finding out for yourself if the game still works for you.
  12. Necromonious Augur

How would you even know? You don't play dude. I do play and I can get almost an entire zone of t1-t2 TDS progression quests done with one character in 30 minutes. On my server all hours of the day there are people offering groups for Dead Hills HA's for leveling and AA farming and you can bang out 2 of those in 30 minutes with just half a group and mercs. Most HA's and missions take less than 30 minutes to do. In fact, my average playtime for years had been just 30min-1.5hrs at a time and I have no problems
  13. Drina New Member

There's something odd to me about this thread having been moved to The Newbie Zone. I am NOT a noob! <stamps her dwarven feet>
  14. Necromonious Augur

If we assumed every single newbie is exactly like you: helpless, negative, and completely unwilling to put forth any effort to understand the game....

...it still wouldn't matter. You can still cruise to max level 105 almost completely afk, on the backs of better-geared, bored, supportive players who will allow you to tag along in HA's - keep in mind having extra group members no longer detracts from total exp awarded at the end of the HA, of course you'd have to be playing Everquest to know this, I'm sure a lot of things are new to you after your years away. You could literally do nothing but whine about how everquest sucks in general chat, and eventually be helped to max level and probably given almost a full set of free group-quality gear due to how easy it is for people to acquire extra pieces of gear and how flexible items like non-visibles are nowadays for any class (again, this might be news, not sure how caught up you are)

So no, you get no sympathy from me. You are arguing for the sake of arguing, and I bet if I combed your post history I wouldn't find a single concession of any fact, ever. Your mind is closed. I am sorry for the constant disappointment you must feel, I hope it is just with this game and not a function of your personality
  15. svann Augur

Make friends with a crafter and you can get in a full set of crafted gear which is just a hair under current T3 group gear. If you buy from a stranger it will set you back but the mats really arent that expensive if you know someone.
  16. Fallfyres Augur

-----------------
    Reval, I laughed aloud so loudly my new puppy looked at me.. like wtf! When I left EQ, I played primarily PvP in most other MMOs. I think playing with someone with your humor almost makes me want to try PvP here...

Naw. But I love your posts!!:D

OP - I'm having a ton of fun on the TLP servers (*well actually detest would not be descriptive enough to give you a feel for what the raiding here is.) But love the grouping and getting a fresh start on a server, looking forward to going to expansions I didn't see originally. Take a sub for one month and jump on one TLP server and one Live server and get yer toes wet...you need to see for yourself! Good journeys!
  17. Necromonious Augur

Hey it got your thread removed, it appears. How many posts was that? 30-something? All gone

More and more people are going to be reporting your trolling, I'd say your time is limited :)
  18. Andronicus Elder

Darklord, you are a TROLL, and here is your reward!

19. Kobra Augur

I would say come back and give it a shot.

There are many mechanisms in place to help you get caught up. It may be frustrating at times but if you stick with it the reward is worth it.
  20. Necromonious Augur

Your thread was removed, not sure if you were suspended or not. I've PM'ed a couple people who agree to report ya every time you attempt to continue your troll campaign, each time will result in multiple reports from multiple people. I have to be logged in to forums to do that. So your name might still show up (for a while) but the game is up. I welcome you to challenge this and try