how does this work?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by moogs, Apr 18, 2018.

1. moogs Augur

Maybe someone in community relations or development can answer this. What is the process that Daybreak goes through on patch day? When I update servers at my office, I push out the new software after working in a test environment, reboot, and hopefully things come back online without much further intervention. Why does it take Daybreak more time to issue a software patch on several more or less identical servers than it takes another person in IT to perform a major hardware infrastructure upgrade? Hamster wheel jokes aside, this is less of a criticism and more of a genuine curiosity. Where does the time go? How does the team divide up the workload?
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Cause they have to look at every character and ensure their /achievement match their gear, then remove the stuff they received because it didn't fit their intended plan that was broken.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Less cheesing content leads to less whining about it?
  4. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

not even remotely, I've eaten dinner, drank a few beers and time to troll.
    Xatt likes this.
  5. Vinjin Lorekeeper

Not sure how other game companies are handling it these days but ArenaNet utilized the best approach I've ever seen with Guild Wars 2. To the player, a huge patch was simply a matter of downloading client updates and you were off and playing again. It was as if they had two production server sets used in addition to test, which made it all essentially seamless to the player.

I'm sure the DBG team knows what they're doing but it is pretty archaic to still require even 5-6 hours for a patch, much less 10.
    moogs likes this.
  6. Turinbar Augur

lol game is still down. Maintenance was supposed to end at 5 pm EST..it is now almost midnight and I can't get to the login screen. Amateur hour.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yeah....totally. Look at all these unthinking amateurs posting conclusively that they "know how this stuff works" because they installed a patch provided by a third party and they "tested" it before installing it. Which obviously makes them an expert in all things IT....amateurs!!
  8. Kolani Augur

From what I can tell, it's push update to Test > find bugs > fix them on internal server > push internal server data live. They're missing that > push internal server to Test step that competent IT would take.
    Funk likes this.
  9. Funk Augur

I believe this is the case, it was even stated that test server would be "trued-up" after the live patch. So they are skipping that second push to test server before live patch.