How does a TLP compare to a Standard server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Grakt, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Grakt New Member

I wanted to play EQ with my wife to show her the game. When I log into my character's old, standard server, it's just depressing. 95% of the zones in the game are completely abandoned. All the newbie zones are empty save the occasional high level doing whatever they're doing there.

How are the TLPs? I don't want to pay the fee just to find more of the same on the TLP servers. Is there enough server population to find groups and play with other people or is it just a bunch of people playing by themselves with mercs?

Thanks
  2. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

If you want to relive the TLP magic of low level grouping you are going to have to wait until another one comes out, at this point every TLP is probably in top-heavy mode and all lower level groups are hard to find.

If they come out with another TLP great, if not I wouldn't suggest any TLP at this point.
    Jontrann and andross77 like this.
  3. snailish Augur

No free to play on progression.
    Some progression is truebox which limits boxing somewhat in certain ways.
    Xp rates vary across progression servers due to initial starting amount and/or era they are at.
    Many features are era set... so a given server may have them or not.
    Some progression has voting, some is auto-unlocking, Agnarr is locked where it is now.
    Some of the easy-catch-ups on live servers aren't available till much later on progression... mercs come pretty late for example

Newbie zones are mostly empty on progression after the first few weeks. However, you can find other strays doing the 1-50 grind up. Join a guild on progression for family/casual leveling and you will progress with others. There is a slight bump up in newbies in Luclin with Beastlords and the nice Luclin 1-40 leveling zones that people congregate too.

I think Coirnav is close to or in Luclin now. XP was slower to start on that server, but maybe not an issue now?

Agnarr has good catch-up, if you don't mind the lock and accept that under level 55 there aren't many people. At the same time... 65 is the cap and no one is getting that far ahead of you ever. But we also don't know how long people stay interested in it.

Most of the other progression servers aren't at mercs yet.

Test is a different sort of option.

Some of the live servers are lower population and very top heavy, but... have at least one solid all-level guild. So checking in a few of them could save you subbing depending on what you really want out of the game.
  4. Thalliius Augur

How do you ignore threads on these forums? There is like 15 TLP posts on the first page and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to ignore them
    Conq likes this.
  5. Ohfuggle Elder

Coirnav has tons of thriving low level groups all the way to 60 (and soon to be 65). You'll find that players concentrate in the "best" zones for leveling. Optimization is the name of the game, so you won't find folks farting around in HH or Derv camps. They get twink gear and head straight to UR, PC, ToFS etc.

As long as you go where its "best" and popular you won't have trouble finding groups.

If the new TLP comes out you'll see a small boom to the population and low level zones (nowhere else to go) but it'll quickly fade. I know a lot of folks on Coirnav won't be rerolling if a new TLP launches and the population will be split yet again (Coirnav already suffered from being released so quickly after Agnarr, Agnarr did the same to Phinigel).
  6. Zanarnar Augur

Ya your in the TLP subforum.. that's kind of the idea here. If you don't want to see TLP focused posts, you'll want to goto another part of the forums.
  7. Thalliius Augur

It’s a forum to post about all the TLPs, content, guilds, etc

It’s not exclusively for spamming bad TLP suggestions based entirely off of player speculation. You should be able to ignore certain threads like you can on virtually any message board that exists in 2019. I don’t want to abandon the TLP forum, I simply want to filter out the ridiculously excessive “the next TLP idea!” Threads so I can focus on more important threads.
    Meridian likes this.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

The biggest thing I see is that there is actual community.

EQ as a (mostly) single player game is incredibly forgettable. It's simply not compelling. The community interaction is critical to EQ.
    Biohazerd likes this.
  9. Thalliius Augur

It’s like serial daters, who can only stay in a relationship for 3 months during the cloud 9 honeymoon phase. It’s the “new car smell” that people get drawn to on a new TLP but then quickly will grow bored of it once the new car smell fades and they’ll be yearning for another new TLP to replace it. Rinse and repeat
  10. MBear Augur

Seems like a good audience for a seasonal server. Wipe it like a Rust server!
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

The biggest difference I noticed? First of all, if you join the newest or second newest TLP's, you're going to have a large population. Most live servers just don't have as many players.

Moreover, after trying to level on a couple live servers, it is very clear that there is entirely no newbie experience. There were no groups, old newbie zones were useless, armor useless, etc. Basically, you had to level up to maybe around 80 before you could think about playing with other players.