How do you force INI files to save?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gyurika Godofwar, May 30, 2018.

1. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I'm using Windows 10 and I have three EQ folders. One for Live/TLP servers, one for Test (my main server) and one for Project99.

I pretty much always box but I've ran into two issues recently. Most of my characters have all their multibinds bound to 2 and 3 except for my SK who is my puller. I have his bound to 5 and 6 but when I log in for the first time all of my characters get set to his 5 and 6 set up. It's an easy fix but irritating especially if I forget to change it and go out to XP only to not cast properly.

The second issue I've been having is a new character's ini refusing to save when I log out. I make sure to camp and not fast camp and even make sure to log all the way out but it still fails to save.

I have the set up saved as all my mages use the same interface so it's an easy but time consuming fix as it lags that instance of EQ out for a good 10+ minutes when loading the UI.

Would it help to delete his ini files and then hopefully the next time I log in and play him they'll be created again with the proper set up or is there some other solution I am overlooking?
  2. Lianeb Augur

Key binds are set up in the EQ client.ini that all instances of EQ use, if launched from the same install. If you use wineq2 or i s boxer you can set distinct client ini for each toon to use.

Otherwise the last toon you log out will write it’s settings to the client.ini.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

4. Tyche Elder

wineq2 sounds like the answer. It can even hold all your profiles across your 3 different installations to launch from a single location. Just need to make sure your server choice has been patched with the main launcher first which may be a regular occurrence on Test.
  5. Docshady New Member

If you play multiple accounts from the same install, your key binds will always default to the last toon logged out. For me this is not a problem because i use the same key bind for all 4 of my toons, Instead of different ones for different toons. For instance i use my E key to cast my agro and life taps on my sk and for my cleric i use the E key to cast my heal spam and for my wizard i use the E key to spam all my dps spells. That way soon as i move my cursor to a different screen and that window goes active i just hit my e key then move to the next screen and do the same and so on. I don't know if its set up automatically in Windows 10 yet but when i first got 10 i had to go into settings and set it so that the windows went active when the cursor was over it and i also had to change the active time to make it near instant(reason i say near is because its not instant but the delay is so small you wont know the diff).
    Or you can do a separate install for each character and can ste whatever key binds you want. That's a bit much in my book and takes up a lot of disk space, so the better of the options is to use wineq2 or eye es boxer.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. ZoomBox Lorekeeper

Certain items are "global" for any toon run from that directory, Graphics settings, keybinds, etc. If you set it with one toon then open a different account from the same directory it will be arranged to the new setup.
    For my druid I run my forage macro with any changes in direction with keybind <-- or -->, but I dont want that to cast a spell with my other toons and drop invis, so those toons are run from a different directory

I had this problem initially, but the default install locations for EQ is your User directory and requires <Run as Administrator> in the advanced attributes of the shortcut, or it wont be able to save the ini files.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.