How do I move a boxed group?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Sandy100, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Sandy100 Elder

I have a three character box. My main,who is helping to power level I will call character "A." The other two , I will call "B" and "C." How do I move them all to a zone? For example, do I click on "B" and "C" each and have them follow "A" or do I have "B" follow "A" and then "C" follow "B?"
  2. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I just have my other characters all follow the same character with /follow

Then you just have to sort of get used to how to run with follow such that your other characters don't get stuff on rocks and trees and corners. Takes a bit of getting the feel for it. I find wide, arcing turns tend to work better than sharp corners.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

for my setup all of my toons that follow have a macro assigned
    /target (insert name)
    /follow

Player B follows player A
    Players C,D, E, F.... all follow player B

Doing it this way allows me to just switch to player B and break follow without having to switch to all of the other players. This way I can move to my destination, break follow quickly and position my toons by only moving toon B in most cases and then switch back to toon A and get into the action.
  4. Conq Augur

Mage: Group Call of the Hero. Because /follow only works reliably if you're using two separate computers (for me). If I try to autofollow on the same computer (2 or more accounts) - it's completely unreliable, so I run them separate if I'm not using coh. But one account following another account on a separate computer /follow works much better.
    Conq
  5. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I use /follow with my 3-box on one computer and it works decently enough. I don't ever have the problem of a background character not keeping up and dropping off.

Do have to set background FPS to >60 though. If it's set to Minimum (the default I believe), it will cause issues.
    Strumph likes this.
  6. Strumph Augur

I agree follow the main toon. That's what I do when 3 boxing.

And yes have the background FPS set as high as possible. I have mine set to 30 with very little issues except with some tunnels and spiral staircases.

Also make a audio trigger for when follow breaks, so you can worry less and also don't get across the zone without them.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Also using inner space boxer and having a key that has all the follower chars follow the leader (or driver) and another key that causes them to stop following makes it much easier.

I've also recently added keys to cause them to drop down (shift+space), and keys that cause them to pitch up, level and pitch down their camera (ctrl+w, ctrl+s, ctrl+x), too bad those only change movement direction if you are zoomed in all the way.

Finally, I have GINA triggers on each char that whine when /follow breaks
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

I use my slowest toon and have the others follow it.
  9. Seriously New Member

That was Botting. Not boxing.
    Which is cool I guess. But, big difference.

10. Warpeace Augur

So either your wrong or Daybreak is saying Botting is acceptable now?

Personally I wish they would ban that program but they have stated before it was ok to use.
  11. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Some automation programs are allowed to be used on Live servers, but not TLPs. Just because it's allowed doesn't mean it's not botting. Just because it's botting doesn't mean it's bad.

Boxing - Manual manipulation of multiple characters at the same time
    Botting - Automated manipulation of multiple characters at the same time
  12. Warpeace Augur

My reply had nothing to do with TLP. Its its own mess.
  13. Scorrpio Augur

Boxing software forwards keystrokes to multiple game instances from a single interface - but it is the player who is making thoae keystrokes.
    Botting is using a script to run a character without player input.

The former is fine. The latter is not.
    Skewert likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You’re right, there is a difference between botting and boxing. But by the definition you’re insinuating, in-game Macros would be botting. InnerSpace doesn’t automate anything. Just because you think it’s automation doesn’t mean it’s automation. Do you think your oven automates cooking just because it regulates its own temperature?
  16. dundada3100 Elder

/bca //nav id ${Me.ID}
  17. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Edited my post sans delete:
    CrazyLarth already said the same thing I posted, I missed it when I read the posts.
  18. Warpeace Augur

19. I has a bucket New Member

To add to this, I use the main assist as my /follow target so I can easily switch which character is getting followed if I need to. Then each boxed character has the same slot of the extended target window assigned to main assist, and then my follow macro is:

Code:
    /pause 5, /xtarget 13
    /follow
    So everyone has the main assist in slot #13 of the extended target window, and I just change the main assist if I want to change drivers.

I also use /xtarget for an assist macro to make targeting the right mob much quicker, which is an additional reason to use main assist.
    Skewert and BlueberryWerewolf like this.
  20. Tucoh Augur

agree 100% with what you said, but one thing I'd like to add is that if you adopt ETW targeting like this a huge advantage is you can ditch the /xtar command and switch to purely using hotkeys, which means you don't need the /pause 5 anymore and don't interrupt other social macros.

This becomes more important when you're spamming a lot of hotkeys or are juggling different targets. My mage group has macros to send the pets at different mobs (Where each of the four mages target the first four mobs in the ETW), but focus on mob #1 in the ETW, the ETW hotkeys make this much cleaner.