How common are groups of 6 individuals at the high levels?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KateL7, Jun 9, 2018.

1. KateL7 Lorekeeper

I play on Bristlebane which seems to have a good population although mostly max level and so far I'm only 88. But I wonder if I will be able to get regular groups when I am high level? I used to play when the game was new and I had groups constantly and had a lot of fun with it, would love to play like that again some day.
  2. Denial_Sinfae Augur

High level with a guild it happens regularly. Can be tough grouping on your way up unless you have some friends doing it with you.
    KateL7 likes this.
  3. KateL7 Lorekeeper

Cool thanks, I am enjoying the levelling journey by myself so that's cool. But I am looking forward to grouping when I get to top level. Hope it is fun like the old days!
  4. Yimin Augur

Depends on a few factors ! Time of day you play , what time zone your in ,as well if your in a guild or not , in the time I can play no one is on ...

YiMin
  5. Jetslam Augur

In a high level/active guild, it's pretty common to have full groups if you're doing something that can benefit everyone and is current content. There are some times where you'll have a person or two boxing an extra character in the group to fill out the group. At 110, mercs are pitiful compared to even a halfway active boxed character.
    Sancus likes this.
  6. Natal Augur

Depends if you have friends or not. Most people play either with friends or alts on additional computers. Outsiders are generally not welcome because they usually can't follow instructions or understand what the group's objective is. Most experienced players know this and will not group with people they don't know as a result.

If you want regular groups it is best to join a guild and build up personal relationships with other members. If you can't or won't do that, then you are out of luck.
  7. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

You are more likely to find a group at max level than at 88.

Watch /general chat channel to get an idea of pick-up group ("PUG") availability. They happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath. You will have far greater success if you form a group and can provide a tank, and then look for more to join you. If you are a DPS toon and just post, "dps lfg", you probably won't have much luck at all.

Otherwise, it's entirely dependent on your guild or other circle of friends. I do believe that most people who box initially choose to do so because they could not reliably find a group.

However, the first month or two after an expansion releases is definitely the hot time to find groups.

Side note: Although not at all mentioned by the OP, if you can't beat a merc's DPS, you probably should ask for help with your rotation before looking for group. A lot of us that box, also enjoy playing with other people when we can. But nothing is worse than dropping a merc for a player that provides less DPS than a merc, and even more so if that player won't take constructive advice to improve. Sorry for the totally unsolicited tangent :)
    Goshdern_VZ likes this.
  8. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Lots of good points about looking for groups.

Join a guild and get to know people, start building some connections. As you start leveling up and get closer to the top, reevaluate your guild. Does this guild fit my goals/playtimes? If not, don't feel obligated to stay with the first guild you picked. You see a lot of guild groups or groups that start forming with the guild and fill in a couple spots from people in another guild. So, you'll want to try and get into a guild that fits your playtime and goals.

Be proactive, sitting in PoK or Lobby shouting LFG every 5 mins isn't going to get you invited. Learn what zones people tend to hunt in for your level range, go out to these zones and see if you can solo/molo anything. Check and see if any groups are already killing, if so ask if there's a merc spot you could replace. Actually being at the camp ready to kill or soloing in the zone already, makes you look a lot better then standing around Lobby/PoK shouting LFG.

And of course, make sure to learn your class!! Spend some time researching your class. With all the new abilities/spells finding what actually works the best can be challenging. Ask high end players of the same class for some advice, ask around if anyone has tips or would be willing to help you get setup some. There's also tons of guides online, I'm sure there's some pointers floating around about all of the classes. Coming to a group ready to go and playing well, will help you get repeat invites.
  9. Jetslam Augur

This is probably the 2 most important things to finding a group if you aren't in an active guild.

I'll often see several people spamming general for an hour LFG when one of them could just send a tell to the rest and form a group right away. All it takes to have a decent group is a tank, a healer, and some dps. That can be done in 2-3 classes and then fill out with mercs until you can add more real players.

And most importantly, play your class well. When I was doing more grouping, I would invite people from general that I saw LFG. At the end of the night when I load up my parser and see that a 110 zerker is being out-dpsed by my 110 caster merc, then you're not getting an invite back. Similarly, if you can't follow directions, or aren't keeping up as we run through a quest, you're not getting an invite back. On the other hand, if I see you play well, I add to Friend List and send a tell next time I'm doing something that could use more.
  10. elumxe Elder

If you haven’t played EQ as a full group by yourself driving with your main, you haven’t played EQ...
    eqgamer likes this.