How big a deal is it that Ogres cannot be stunned from the front?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Bumbler, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Bumbler New Member

I played EQ from the start and after getting my first char to the level cap I started a troll warrior and got him to the cap also. He was an alt so he was never MTing on raids. I was having fun in groups with him and he got a little leftover raid loot from the guild my main was in. As a group tank the troll was more than adequate.

I also got a troll SK to 93 on xegony and never really had issues but again he was not MTing any raid bosses or anything like that.

I have played an ogre warrior to 39 on a TLP server and enjoyed it but that is an easy ride.

I don't really care about ever being the MT on a raid, I am just curious about it. Its an interesting topic to me. It seems important.
  2. fransisco Augur

All 3 tank classes get an aa that makes them immune to frontal stuns. So if you are a tank class, the ogre bonus is meaningless on live servers (It will matter for early levels on progression servers).
  3. Bumbler New Member

Oh, well that is very interesting. I was going to ask what AA that was but I have this google thing on my toolbar.
  4. Bumbler New Member

Oh, well it looks like SK/paladin do not get that AA till level 66 and the one for War/Berz is at 61.

So on Agnarr...

Ogre?
  5. Herf Augur

I've played a Troll SK, and a Troll SHM, on TLP servers. Basically the regen that Trolls get is nice at lower lvls in particular. For an SK, I could see staying Troll. For a WAR, Ogre is probably the best. For SHM I'd also suggest that Ogre is better than Troll; Trolls have regen which is nice for Canning down, but Ogre SHM can presumably cast spells w/out being interrupted from the front, which is great for rooting, debuffing, slowing, etc. I've been thinking of changing race on my SHM ffor this reason.
  6. Tucoh Augur

If there was an illusion I liked I'd change my warrior's race from barb to iksar just for ac(35?) bonus.
  7. Herf Augur

And for that you'd give up not being able to wear all the heavy plate, including Cobalt :(

I'm convinced that the Dev who create the Iksar got fired or quite Sony shortly after Kunark, which explains why the Iksar WARs never really got the Dev love they deserved.
  8. thebeasttt112 New Member

On TLP's Ogre is by far the best race for every class that can be Ogre. Frontal stun immunity is priceless compared to what the other races have to offer. On live it's still the best race for every non tank.
    Brohg likes this.
  9. Riou EQResource

The original Ogre models are also the best models in the entire game, so they have that going for them too :)
  10. Raltar Augur

No. Even if you resist the stun, you will still be interrupted, just not stunned, with the ogre immunity.
    Herf likes this.
  11. fransisco Augur

Ogres do have the large race problems that NEVER go away.
    In pok and other places, you get stuck EVERYWHERE. Zoning into the guild lobby, you cant take more than 2 steps before you get stuck on a mount.
  12. Herf Augur

Well that saved me some money. Thanks!
  13. Troutfest Augur

You may get interrupted if you get pushed back, but if you dont get pushed you will cast through all hits and such as an ogre. On Agnarr Ogre is great for SK and Shaman, any class that can be an ogre and casts will perform better in a face tanking situation. Ive done SK, Sha, BL as various races and the difference between Ogre face tanking and any other race is noticeable. BL was especially noticeable before the change to pet agro letting you stand by mob and have pet tank. You will still get stunned from some spells from mobs, or when mob is behind you, but its a noticeable difference when mob is in front and you are tanking it. If you get pushed while casting you may get interrupted still but it will happen a lot less often as an Ogre.