How bad did Agnarr drop Phiny population?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by James, Jun 19, 2017.

1. AgentofChange Augur

GoD would be a good time to get started on Phinny with bersekers coming out. People will be levelingup again, and the xp will improve a little.
  2. Brumans Augur

6 months of PoP, or more accurately, 3 months of LDON, is why Phinny's pop is a little tamer outside of raids.

Raids, for my casual guild, still chug along fine, but everyone has done everything they were interested in doing outside of raids already. GoD brings more AAs and crap to farm, so it'll tick back up, cycle will continue.

This was the same at the end of Luclin too. People just logging in for raids (myself included).
  3. Ryak Augur

Yeah any judgment of the effect of Agnarr on Phinigel has to be judged after we get out of the morass of PoP.

The truth is PoP + LDoN just don't have enough content to support 6 months of play. So it's not surprising people are finding other things to keep them busy.
  4. Illusory Augur

Phinny's population never really took a hit and it's always been stable. The leveling scene hasn't really changed either, because the server's been top heavy since the beginning of Luclin.

When GoD launches in 1 month a few things are going to happen.

1) We have a new class.
    - People are going to be leveling Berserkers. Therefore, this is a great opportunity to join and/or catch up.
    We have a new set of AAs
    - 65s that haven't banked AAs are going to be grouping to get these precious AAs, especially for their Berserkers.
    We have new zones, quests, and raids!
    - Speaks for itself.

Gates of Discord does not 'suck' as an expansion. The expansion was really hard for players lacking the gear and AAs to be successful. Those players lacking the gear were in the majority at the time with only 2-3 guilds per server capable of clearing raids beyond Kod'Taz. The difference today is that players know what to expect. Most of the guilds that raid 2+ nights a week are sporting players with 200+ AAs and close to BiS gear.

Phinny is still the prime server and will be for the foreseeable future. Agnarr is just something to do to pass the time or to fill a small niche.
  5. Rauven Augur

This.

GoD when released was great. The issue is, the average EQ player never experienced difficulty. They still wanted to quadkite on druids/wizards. Fear/snare kite on Necros. And do simple content that rangers could take for and shaman could heal for, or simply use the gear they got from random named from classic to velious.

Instead it required some decent planar gear, decent class makeups, and the bosses/named required a little more than a tank'n'spank strategy.

People in EQ think they had it hard with PoFear breaking, Corpse runs, and exp loss. While all of those served as consequences for reckless play. It didn't actually increase the difficulty. They're time sinks meant to slap you in the face for being reckless.

GoD required you to be a little reckless. You had to break up the monotony a bit. You had to push your limits as a character, class, and role a bit. But its ironic, because early WoW and other MMOs did GoD style from the start. Mid level dungeon bosses weren't tank and spank, and it was frustrating because average EQ players failed at those things. But would turn around and say "well this is easier because we don't lose Exp here."

But those people also think that killing something 10 times is twice as hard as killing it 5 times.

The other thing that debunks GoD and OoW as being bad expansions is the fact that EQ hit its peak of subs at 750,000 during those two expansions. This was months after the "EQ-Killer", World of Warcraft was released.
    JustACleric and Illusory like this.
  6. nagash101 Augur

Millions...
  7. Illusory Augur

It sure did. :)
  8. Silentchaos Augur

I usually see an uncapped general chat when I log in Agnarr, I usually see a capped general chat when I log in Phinny. A lot more of the people in Phin general chat are probably AFK in some no-buff-tick zone than they are on Agnarr, but IDK I think Phinny is still king really. You'd never log into an uncapped general chat during the first 4 expansions on Phinny, Agnarr has been open for not that long and you're already seeing uncapped general.
    JustACleric likes this.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Click the Home button up top, look at the server list on the right. During the day Agnarr is always a full bar and Phinny is not. In the evening I think Phinny goes to a full bar but I don't think Agnarr drops any. Before Agnarr released, Phinny never dropped from a full bar that I saw on that page.

I don't think this means anything long term, as has been stated there are reasons Phinny would be slow right now even if Agnarr didn't exist.
  10. -wycca Augur

Yea, 6 months of PoP is brutal. People don't login except for raids, even casual players have done everything pretty much.

Right now FV and Agnarr are max with 3 bars. This didn't used to happen when Phin wasn't stuck in PoP (no other server really hit 3 bars regularly and Phin was pegged at 3), which tells me that Agnarr's pop is softer than I expected after a huge launch, and that Phin's pop has had a huge hit.
    JustACleric likes this.
  11. Hirbow Augur

Its quite funny how you consider Phinny a hardcore server LOL. Welcome to dumbed-down Everquest 2016/2017. ''Casuals''? 90 % of the server is a casual that waits for their timer to refresh for their instance to open. Except if you're on that 'one' guild that actually popsocks live content... have a great day!
  12. Aurastrider Augur

Agnarr might be king of the TLP's but FV is still king of all servers. Nearly two decades and server bar remains at or near full status almost all the time. If history is any indication most of the TLP servers are more like false gods than kings. After a certain point the population will fall off drastically. Agnarr might be the exception since it is perma locked but my guess is the others will only decay over time.
  13. Communist Puppy Augur

Honestly, id be more concerned about agnarr once god launches then phinny due to agnarr launch. Youre going to lose a large portion of the playerbase on agnarr to content that hasnt been done 2-3 times in the past 2 years.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  14. Sdoofbuc Augur

There are 20+ guilds that have beat Quarm and do so weekly on Phinny. You really think about 18 of those guilds will fold in 2 exp, or 6 months from now?
  15. Vypervenom New Member

Before there were multiple people kei'ing and virting. Now, you can't find either. Phiny is dead but there are some religiously faithful people to Phiny that will always come on here and make it seem like it's not true when it's the plain and simple truth. Phiny is dead for now. Maybe it will get some more people on it in an expansion or two.
  16. Bewts Augur

People play on new servers because of the ease to farm items that retail for krono early on. A small investment of time can turn into many krono rather quickly that can be used on home servers for whatever purpose you please.

That is why every new TLP gets a massive influx of people. It is not the classic content that draws people, but the profitability for a minimal time investment.
  17. JustACleric New Member

All the people I know that play on Agnarr had already quit Phinny between Kunark and classic or are farming kronos on Agnarr and still logging in for raids. I'd say if anything, 6 months of PoP is hurting Phinny way more than Agnarr opening did.
  18. Sdoofbuc Augur

I agree with you 100%.

The funny thing is people on Agnarr are fooling themselves into thinking that they WANT to be stuck at pop and will be happy there for years.

6 months in and it will be a ghost town! These forums will be alive with people on "the new hotness server" talking about how "the new hotness server" kill Agnarr.
  19. Protocol Dragon Defender

I don't think many people believe they'll be active on Agnarr after it's content is completed. It's just classic and it's fun and it's what we want out of a fresh TLP for the moment.

The small subset who thing perma PoP is great are probably the same types who thought six month expansions on RF/LJ were great.
  20. Kahna Augur

Yeah, Agnarr is an 18 month event server for me. I was going to have to skip GoD on Phinny for RL reasons anyway. Might as well enjoy Agnarr while I am out of raiding.