Holly quote.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Symbius, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hateseeker Augur

The game itself should not make it easy for casuals to raid, no.

However, instancing has nothing to do with whether the game makes it hard, it has to do with whether other players are allowed to block your access to the content. And there is very little you can do related to skill or strategy that can make up for being outnumbered, not to mention that once a guild gets a gear advantage, they have to screw up bad or quit for a long time to lose it.

Holly knows that this is what we discuss here on the forums, so by saying what she said, she is saying "yes you need to poop sock, yes you need to play the recruit-more-players game".
    Kopuz, Agrippa, Elkay and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ceffener Augur

This server has been officially stated as NON CLASSIC
    Maryiene, Elkay and Rhiyannon like this.
  3. Jadefox Augur

Yes.

--Progressive Jade
    Elkay likes this.
  4. Ceffener Augur

Once again you are referring to the game being hard. Like holly stated the bosses should be hard.

If content is instanced, the difficulty of content is the same. The dragon still hits as hard as it did before. Killing the dragon still requires the same skill.

The game will still be just as "hard". The best players will still be rewarded more than any other players.
    Maryiene, Kopuz, Agrippa and 3 others like this.
  5. Tulgin Augur

False. In WoW for example, casual guilds can eventually see and clear all raid content. The 'hardcore' will just do it faster, but the casuals will do it eventually.

This can't happen in EQ, because the hardcore actually stop the casual from seeing content. It's nothing to do with how hard a raid encounter is.

I'd laugh if all the 'casuals' (ie, 98% of players) quit EQ, leaving only the unemployed hardcore raiders left. With no income and no kronos to buy, they would be gone 1 month later.

GG.
    Elkay likes this.
  6. Kergan New Member

So your issue is not what she said, or the philosophy behind it, but how it was stated?

I have yet to see one compelling argument as to why casual players should be able to kill Nagafen. People are just pissed she said it so bluntly.
  7. BestReleaseNA Augur

One server doesnt speak for all

Non-classic doesn't mean change everything. The developers have repeatedly said they want a classic feel to the server and repeatedly rejected many ideas that would increase the availability of raids for "casuals."

Why not just allow mercs then, and the guild hall, and the bazaar?
  8. Kergan New Member

You're just flat out wrong. WoW has a system of actively making raids easier as they release the next tier. A casual player will NEVER have access to the current hardest content.
  9. Gregolo Augur

[IMG]
  10. taliefer Augur

That quote said they make all content available to everyone, and make it hard.

Pretty much the opposite of old eq
  11. Ceffener Augur

The argument is it should be the difficulty of the game that stops a casual guild from completing something. Not the availability to log on at a moments notice and have a tracker sitting 24/7.
  12. Tulgin Augur

False. I played WoW in a 'casual' guild for 10 years. We cleared ALL raid content. But all our members had jobs and real lives, so it took twice as long to clear content than a guild full of unemployed people. But we still cleared all content.
    Elkay likes this.
  13. Aneuren Tempered Steel

You probably have, you just ignored it. If the mechanics of the encounter can be defeated by a group of players, this is the only check there should be. Developers did not beta test these encounters with guild pvp and developers are not supposed to make up for deficient raid mechanics with player abuse.
  14. Kergan New Member

That isn't the same thing. It is no different then current casuals being able to kill Nagafen when they are decked out in Kunark gear and level 60. It only opens up when it isn't the top raid tier anymore. And you never cleared ALL the raid content because there was always the hardest tier you didn't clear. Right up until the point you either quit or joined a hardcore progression guild, there was some raid target you hadn't killed yet as a casual player.
  15. Jadefox Augur

Another Selfie.
    :p

--Jade
    Rhiyannon and Gregolo like this.
  16. Ceffener Augur

You most likely did clear all content you were just not rewarded the same gear as those who completed the same content on a harder difficulty.

Like the article states, there is nothing wrong with rewarded those with the most skill the most. The problem is refusing to allow a casual player base play the same content for lesser gear.
    Elkay and Rhiyannon like this.
  17. Vaclav Augur

Last times I've seen similar quotes made by other devs - it was during their last months of work before entering the unemployment line.

She literally just flipped off the majority of the playerbase. (Now that said, my concept I'm looking at pitching depending how the July 1st update pans out would give her an easy out... but.... this choice of phrasing if the article isn't misquoting her [and it looks like it was written by someone with a poor grasp of writing] shows incredible lack of foresight)
    Elkay likes this.
  18. Vaclav Augur

You seem to not understand what ... in the middle of that sentence means if the writer was writing properly (which I'm wary of assuming he was, since he doesn't write particularly professionally...).
  19. Hendar2 Augur

I'll think of Holly every time I'm trained, KSd. She sounds an awful lot like the jackwagons who are causing the trouble on the servers. And when Gregolo is that happy, you should know you've F'd up.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  20. Sleestax New Member

I, for one, was content to be a "casual". In yester-years past that wasn't the case and I was driven to grind my way to the top and compete for the loots that made leet. Those days are gone, though, and I have resigned myself to a different play-style -- more relaxed and with no obligations.

Holly's statement is both rude and condescending. I do take issue with that. I can be blatantly insulted for no charge. So I will.

I really tried to get over certain things that bothered me such as EQ being magequest due to the fact that it has been allowed to devolve into such a state that if it weren't for giving people an "I win" button, many wouldn't be playing. Just look at what occurred last summer when they tried to adjust pet damage.

I tried to get past the fact that the reasons for not allowing plat purchases -- because it destroys the integrity of the game and ruins the economy -- are still valid, regardless of the company's departure from what was right for the sake of a cash-grab.

I tried to get past the idea that DBG would openly embrace a toxic cesspool like p99, you know, the folks who gave us a certain legend who not only caused havoc on the mac server but also openly encouraged others on p99 to join him with warps, hacks, etc.. until SOE decided that it just wasn't worth the time and effort to police it anymore and threw many faithful long-term customers out in the cold with a sunset.

I cannot, however, get past being insulted by people who are supposed to be in my corner and derive a paycheck, partly from me, for doing so. I know my measly monthly sub means little. Here's the catch; I will be taking my measly little one account and joining my wife, sister, sis-in-law, nephew, brother, daughter, son-in-law, other sis-in-law, her hubby, and two really great friends -- most of whom used to be EQ players and are now among the millions of happy campers in Azeroth.

I was the last hold-out.

And then there were none....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.