Holly quote.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Symbius, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

im just curious to know if there was anything else in the quote that was removed. Im always wary around ellipses
  2. Tarrin Augur

I agree in principle with what was said, just not how it was said.
  3. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I thought I heard EQ dev's say things way back in 99 to 03 up until I read that article today. Way to alienate a good portion of your player base in one simple article.
  4. Dafootfistway Lorekeeper

In before the lock.

Either she was misquoted or that is some pretty damning stuff.
    Elkay likes this.
  5. taliefer Augur

i was floored when i saw it as well. its pretty out of touch
    Elkay likes this.
  6. Xilbus Journeyman

I'm rather curious to know what Holly's specific definition of a 'casual' is.
    Elkay likes this.
  7. Laronk Augur

if you're playing less than 8 hours a day and you're not available for 24 hour batphone you sir are casual.

Not just casual but a filthy casual that is part of the unwashed masses.

-note: just kidding of course.

Really to me a casual player is someone who plays less than 4 hours a week. or someone who just logs on to chat and doesn't have goals for his playtime. During parts of the year some people in the top raid guilds become semi casual where they barely play only logging into raid.
  8. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

that said, still not as bad as the time absor told SKs that Spell Casting Fury and Soul Abrasion shouldnt stack /nod /nod
  9. Jadefox Augur

Let ME Eat Cake!
    NOM!
    :p

--Jade washes regularly.
  10. Lennyn Elder

No, she's not right. Limiting casuals to less than full content was a mistake when they did it the first time around 16 years ago, and it's still a mistake today. Who cares if I can only make one raid a week because I'm more of a casual player? Am I somehow less important as a customer and player because I don't have the time to play 16 hours a day?

If it wasn't a mistake then why did they instance raids later in the game?

As someone else said, everyone should be able to fight Lord Nagafen, but only those who are geared and organized should be able to beat him.
  11. Bufonidae Elder

So the producer of the game is a L33t R4id3r and only want's the hardcore crowd to have access to the trivial raid content.

That's a shame, publicly taking a stand that alienates a big chunk of her customers is poor business. Doesn't make the future of this game look very bright.
  12. Endtimes Elder

There are no casuals in EQ

What achievement is diminished by others downing the same boss in an instanced version of the same zone ?

The Acheivement of Locking others out of content , nothing more

This person is way out of touch
    Baits, DBCooper, Gythlen and 4 others like this.
  13. rekais910 Augur

Not to mention I can hardly consider it casual if a guild hits a target or two every night until they are out of content to hit and everything is on lockout. That hardly makes it casual. That makes them just as much of a raider as anyone else. They will do it with less people in fact and have a more enjoyable raid experience. There are plenty of raiders right now that given the choice would leave some of the bigger raiding guilds in favor of other friend's guilds who decided against that noise.
  14. Indigo Augur

You will have your chance once we progress. Casuals are always an expac or two behind.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. Arya1 Lorekeeper

All raids on EQ2 and i think for eqlive (not as familiar with the current content) are ALL instanced. Hardcore guilds progress first, yes, but less hardcore guilds have a CHANCE to progress, too. what is the BIG deal? I don't understand how they can freely instance content in these games and yet not choose to do so here. Time locked progression is not Classic. We need modern solutions to new problems.
    Borgnine and -----Cinexa----- like this.
  16. Endtimes Elder

There is no " we " that you are a part of, get over yourself
  17. Ceffener Augur

If all raid bosses are downed within 20 minutes in less than a few hours a week. Who is casual and only logging for raid?

There is nothing taken away from you of someone of equal skill can kill the same boss as you.

Nothing
  18. Kergan New Member

I'm kind of surprised by the outrage. Every other MMORPG limits the top level of content to only the most hardcore players. The mistake is the content is too easy (which they are addressing), not the philosophy that only progression guilds will drop the top raid tier.
    thechacko and Chanaluss like this.
  19. BestReleaseNA Augur

Exclusivity has value. Thats how EQ was in 99. Most people didnt even get to 50.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  20. RoamingBlue Journeyman

She wasn't misquoted: The entire paragraph was -

"Why only one zone of raid bosses? Longdale explained, “What we don’t want to do is instance raids, which is what casuals want us to do because they want to fight Nagafen. Casuals shouldn’t be allowed to fight Nagafen… that diminishes the achievement of others. That’s part of the challenge: You have to be better than the other guy; you have to be more strategic that the other guy.”"

You can read the whole thing here:
    http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/30/e...the-everquest-franchises-progression-servers/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.