Hit a roadblock at level 50

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Lambro, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Lambro Lorekeeper

That's what I've been doing with my tank merc but he's so bad and still can't hold aggro.

I've been in Blackfeather Roost quad kiting. Then I get up to the harpies and realize I will need to merc tank them. Well I'm fighting one mob and then another one roams into us and my tank will not pick him up and hold the aggro. I switch to the add, and only thing I do is cast snare on it so my tank knows to go assist me and taunt him but then the other one that he stopped fighting to pick up the add starts hitting me cause I have dots on it. So I switch to it and let the tank pick up it's aggro. Then the one I snared comes at me and kills me lol.

It's such a pain. The F2P mercs are straight garbage:(
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I have that issue occasionally. Usually my tank merc will agro adds, but sometimes he seems to lose his mind.

One thing I've found which helps a bit, is to move so that the tank merc is between me and the add. Many times, that will jog his memory, and he'll pick up the add.

One other thing which is likely not the issue, but definitely CAN BE a big issue. Don't ever put lev on your mercs! They don't float down to the ground like players, they won't purposefully move to the ground, and they won't agro anything not at their Z level. As you can see, that's there's a deadly trifecta, LOL!
    Lambro and StinkyVetWarrior like this.
  3. Arborer Lorekeeper

Quadding sun revenants on the plateau in Scarlet Desert is fun. Wear your sunglasses, though. I don't know what's worse, that zone or the ice zones.
  4. Lambro Lorekeeper

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I've reached 85 and now I'm at another standstill. But this time with gear progression.

I've been doing the solo tasks from Clayton in PoK for xp with my merc. The ones for the Call of the Forsaken expansion I'm guessing. They take about 45 min to an hour each.

I had enough Marks to purchase a piece of 85 gear so I went ahead and got some leggings that I desperately needed and didn't realize at the time but they were prestige and as a F2P silver account I can't even use them! I was so discouraged I immediately logged off for the night and went to bed. Such a pity.

Figured I'd ask the all knowing folks on the forums again for some gear advice that isn't prestige. The 85 vendor stuff is around 1,000 to 1,100ish mana/hp for Druids so something along those lines or better that isn't prestige would be great.

I can't handle House of Thule (mobs have way too much HP) yet so named mobs there are out of the question with just me and a squishy tank merk. I've been getting him buffed properly at the lag pile in PoK but he still only reaches 50k HP like me and I have to spam heals to keep him up but it does work for a bit thanks to those nasty damage shields from mages and rangers.

Any guidance from you wise ever so knowing would be most welcomed and greatly appreciated.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

A little confused here - Clayton Teek hands out daily HA zones starting at level 75 and he will port you there. Those do not have to be solo but its great that you can do them that way and amazing with a squishy tank like that ;) . Franklin Teek hands out the kill 5 dailys up to level 95 and you have to travel to those zones.

Anyway I forget which pieces, but some of the armor can be sold back in Tainted Karana - also did you look at the NPC there that handles merc gear? That will help your tank somewhat.
    https://cotf.eqresource.com/mercenarygearlvl85.php

This is my go to resource for my F2P or Silver alts etc - it covers augs, armor and some other stuff
    http://eqshadowknight.net/showthread.php?p=224445

I never really got into this next one but it is good from level 75 up thru level 100 - you just switch out the augs which you buy with remnants that you earn thru tasks and are tradeable or you can buy them in baz
    https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/quests/TBM/GroupGear/

Bottom line is that you are now at the level that if you wanted to subscribe it would be a good time. If you do then the first thing you do is go to Feerrot and do this quest which will give you the top merc J5 which will help a lot.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=7485

and do auto grant and get all your AA
    Tegila and Lambro like this.
  6. Lambro Lorekeeper

Thanks! And yes I was running the ones from Clayton. The ones I did were labeled as solo tasks. I looked them up on alla. They weren't the actual group HAs. At least none of the ones I have done so far were. I definitely couldn't handle the group HAs solo with my merc tank. Can barely do the solo ones with him.

Also, I heard Lesson of The Devoted (vet AA 30 min xp boost) works with the HAs and solo tasks? Is that true? Does that mean LoTD would work on Franklin's dailies as well? I'm still running those also but never popped a LoTD when doing Franklin's dailies cause I didn't know if the xp reward at the end would actually get doubled or not. I did a HA with some guildies the other night and they said that LoTD worked so just wanted to make sure so I don't waste it.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Am still curious which Clayton ones you were doing. They are all marked solo at Alla:) I think you lucked out and got some that involved Marla or Brother in Tainted West Karana and you are better than you think! But they do scale to level of highest person in group and your the only person in the group so its highly possible. And many folks did do them solo when they first came out.

Yes, your LOD (lesson of the devoted) works with HA's (which if your doing Clayton's where all the experience is given at the end then you would wait till the end to pop it since you get so little exp during the HA)

For Franklins where you kill 5 you could run it as soon as your set up and just keep killing in that zone even after you complete the task. The zone will give you bonus exp even when not doing the Franklin part and this way it saves you have to run around somewhere else.

You could even get your kill 5 from Franklin and then get the one from Clayton. Go do the Clayton ones and pop it at the end and then port (your a druid right?) to the zone for the kill 5 so you don't have to go back to POK.

There might be some game bonus experience coming up and there are also experience potions you can /claim or buy both in baz and marketplace so I hope this helps to remember which stack:

XP Bonus + XP Pot = Yes
    XP Bonus + Lesson = Yes
    XP Bonus + XP Pot + Lesson = No

My posts are way to long and to much, so going to shut up now and let you have fun!!!!
  8. Vhivi Elder

Well, Lambro, I am thrilled you were able to advance and get closer to the latest expansions. Moreover I am amazed you were able to understand the advice you were given since I cannot make heads or tails of any of it. Too many initialisms used and even when defined I cannot figure out what they are actually talking about.

I tried the Hero's Journey years ago with a Drakkin but found the Hero's Journey quest line largely useless. I confess that I never liked Crescent Reach or Blightfire Moors. The zones after that are largely a mystery as well. I long since deleted that character. Of my others, once I get to around level 65 I stall out with nowhere to advance except with slooooow grinding on the same stuff over and over and over.

Top all of that with just relying on defiant drops to improve my gear so even with a second account there are places that just do not work out well. Most of my characters have a mixed bag of gear with some matching Intricate defiant with a Glooming Deep piece or two and everything in between. The jewelry in the Plane of Knowledge is also far too expensive and with the stat caps is pointless to get anyway.

Enough ranting. Congratulations to you once again! Here is to smooth sailing for you as you press onward.
  9. Ecidew Journeyman

Easy EXP for a snare kiter from 80-90 .. Go to Old Bloodfields .. SoD Expansion .. Find “Nahsulen the Tactician” he is in a cave with guards who will kill anything you kite there .. Once you beat all of the kite mobs down to 45% or less run in cave and let guardskill them you will get exp for them .. The trick is to learn which Mobs in zone summon .. Have Gate up !! .. I have rocked that zone with both Necro and Wizard .. There are other places in zone that you can do same thing but, think there is easiest since there is a large area on hill without mobs to kite in ..

Tougher But Doable 85-95 HoT .. The Grounds .. North of Pond along wall is a few frogs to start out .. You have to learn to kite in tighter quarters and no guards to help out .. Use mana efficient spells and Dots .. Constant slow killing better than fast kills with med time .. At this level you need to start working and Mana and Mana regen rear .. You gear will control your Exp rate .. My Wife’s Druid rocked this zone but she was well group geared ..
    Lambro likes this.
  10. Yirivi New Member

Think of the game in terms of expansions.

Classic was capped at level 50, where you're at now. The next expansion was Kunark, which released Kunark era areas. To have the easiest time, stick with the progression of the expansions in terms of level cap as the enemies hit harder the further on you go.

Kunark > Velious > Luclin > PoP

Another thing to note is EXP gain is way easier now. You get a lot more XP from light blues than you did in the past. At low levels people advocate for killing red mobs, but at higher levels (you're about at this point I'd say) you should start aiming for lower conning mobs. Light blues and dark blues, depending on what expansion you're playing in.

You should get at least 1% XP from most light blue cons for a long, long time. That means you'd only have to cut down 100 mobs to ding, and with mercs that doesn't take long (especially against light blues).

Keep ores, silks and pelts that drop and check what they go for in /barter. Some things can go for 100-1,000PP. Keep the name Sunshard Ore in mind.

If you're not a twink its best to level this way IMO, plus you get to see more of the game.