Hire own character as a merc

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, May 15, 2013.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

I think it would be kinda cool if I could hire one of my own characters as a merc. I have a warrior alt for instance. It would be cool if there were a way to select him when i visit a mercenary liaison.

I'd rather split my experience with my own toon. The 15 minute merc charge can still be as it is now though. Anyone else think that would be worth while?
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Wuttever Augur

Unlikely. Yes, fun, but unlikely. In terms of them giving it an Intelligence for you, anyway.

However, something I have requested is similar. I have asked the allow concurrent login of two of my own characters so I can box without having to choose which character to build on which account. I would pay more, but hopefully slightly less than 2 accounts. But it would be great if I could play both my SK and my necromancer at the same time, teamed together in my group.
  3. Sanae New Member

I like both ideas.
    I have 3 accounts, it would be nice to try out some new combos.

Sanae.
  4. silku Augur

I'd gladly pay the extra cost of 'another account' to be able to log in two of my characters at once. Could even discount it to encourage people to do so. The merc thing would be nice as well.
  5. Sinestra Augur

Been requested numerous times before, but I doubt it would ever happen.
  6. Kreugen Lorekeeper

An autopilot toggle would do the trick. They just have to whip up bot code for the other 10 classes.

(that would be the day, hah)
  7. Karanthal Augur

If you are willing to pay you can't you just create a 2nd account and transfer your character to it and play the 2 together? I'm sure that used to be possible.
  8. silku Augur

It's still a possibility, but with this scenario I don't have to pay the 25-50 or whatever it is to move them to another account and if a tight month comes up and I can't afford two gold accounts, I don't have to take one of my toons that I want to play to silver.

Not to mention all of the benefits associated with an account started in 1999 versus starting up a new fresh account. (veteran rewards etc)
    Sinestra likes this.
  9. Sebbina Augur

Good idea, but I want to be able to play me twice, only thing better then one Halfling Druid is two of me, won't be able to loot any lore items more then once, but, I can live with that.
  10. moogs Augur

I already get frustrated when I make stupid mistakes. Watching my robot self do dumb things and having even less control over it would make me go hoarse.

Not likely to see the light of day, but interesting concept.
  11. Kelefane Augur

The idea of being able to box characters on the same account was brought up in the past. I forget what the devs at the time said about the idea though.
  12. Beezelbub Elder

it would be a huge revenue drop...but i recently moved my bard to another account...cost 25 bucks plus the expansion on the new account. I dont mind paying but do wish my vet aa's would carry over.
  13. Sinestra Augur

Is half a halfling?
  14. Obiziana Augur

I actually like the idea. I think it'd be neat to let my shaman box just heal away while i was pulling/dpsing. I think for it to be really usable we would need a lot better/more AI which I don't envision happening, but I like the idea.
  15. Caudyr Augur

Make it so you can do a long quest that involves tradeskills (but you don't have to DO the combines yourself, you can buy them from people, etc) and do other things around norrath to unlock the ability to either log in an extra character from the same account at the same time...or...let you choose which character you want to be able to hire as a merc...and let the exp actually be shared between it so it'll level up as you gain exp (assuming it isn't max level, etc).

The main issue with 'hiring other characters on your account as mercs' is that unless they're a warrior, wizard, rogue or cleric...they would have to code completely new AI for each class for the other classes that can't be mercs at the moment. For that reason, it's probably far more reasonable (and more likely to happen) to just seek the ability to log a second character from the same account in, assuming you meet the requirements to do so (I'd suggest completion of the quest made for this that I mentioned briefly above).
  16. Wuttever Augur

There's vet AA, true.

The reason I like it, though, is so we can mix and match on a whim, and not have to be moving characters all the time. I have moved characters several times to achieve this, but it would be more pleasant if I could change it up more often. One day my necro, another my cleric, and the next my enchanter. Then the next week I might cool my heels, and let a couple of them hang out together.
  17. Thrillho Augur

When I first read the title I thought it would be something like selling your services to another. I thought it was a neat idea and a good way to make some quick cash for those higher up.

Then I saw what it was truly about and thought it was another neat idea. It would be great to play with my bard on the same account.

But then I thought about the impact it would have. It is already rare enough to find yourself with a group of real players, much less a group full of real players. Now we're going to have people who are unwilling to drop a merc (their own toon) because that toon is getting experience for the low low price of 400pp/hr.

And if we're not allowed to give our "box" xp, they're still performing better than a traditional merc (why would you hire it if it didn't?) And lets face it, a lot of people are outperformed by mercs already. Again, we'll have people who are more unwilling to drop their merc for a real player.

Lastly, while it would be great to have my own toon as my merc so I could level it up easily, if I turned myself in to a merc and played my alt I would absolutely destroy any lower-level zone. Significantly more than what that toon would be able to do. All the devs would need to do is code "Mend at 50%" and possibly "Impenetrable at 25% when mend is >10 seconds away" and this toon is set. Even without coding, I could start up a shaman and put Thrillho on burn. I already tank end-zone, I can certainly handle whatever else is out there, especially with a shaman slowing & healing. Wizard mercs on burn already parse high - imagine a "real" wizard.

Yes, I know people already do this via boxing. But trust me when I say this will add more problems to the mix than the problems it solves. I don't box. I group. If I had this option, I might change that. Who is to say others won't do the same?
  18. Slasher Augur

Playing 2 toons on the same account is a coding/database issue. You can log on test and live at the same time on the same account but you wont be able to join universal chat channels because they log onto them with account not character info.

I'm sure it could be done, but why ? It's a lot of code time for something that may actually cost them money.

Why do this when expansion time comes they will lose money.
  19. CrazyLarth Augur

well i wish they let one toon be AKF bazzar and then play same acct the other toon. if gold