High Keep question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by quakedragon, Apr 10, 2021.

1. quakedragon Augur

Was this zone designed for people to go around killing guards?
    Or did some troublemaker start this thing about kill guards for plat?

Most people didn't go around killing the guards when it was relevant zone, right? Only the troublemakers, or am I wrong and this zone was designed in mind for people to be killing guards?

I believe it was made for PvP servers too, when they had the Good vs Evil vs Neutral PvP? It was like a checkpoint to entering into neutral faction zones?
  2. OldRodKS Elder

I remember people killing guards in a lot of towns back when I started playing (just after release), including High Keep

It was annoying because, as a newbie, I'd run a tough mob to the guards for help, only to find them dead because someone was camping them
  3. quakedragon Augur

I remember those days too. Yep yep. Thinking back at it, its only like lvl 1-8 mobs in that start area, feel like I didn't even need the guards help looking back, but again it was a different time.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

The guards give xp and drop coin and loot. Been that way as long as I can remember. Seems pretty clear they were designed to be killed if people felt like it.
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Paladins especially would end up KoS to Highkeep as Corrupt guards are in the mix. https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=1616

Look at factions.

Guards drop Platinum <and> Fine Steel Weapons.

Back in the day when people didn't have max charisma, faction with seller mattered.

There's a bank in High Keep basement.

Nearby Rivervale was easy to faction to ally with,

We would kill already hostile guards until bags and bank were full, then run zonewall through Kithicor to RV to sell = Profit
    minimind likes this.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

High Keep, Qeynos and Freeport all have smuggler plot lines for rogues and paladins to follow. Roughly half the guards in each are on Guard faction AND Corrupt _____ Guards faction. The head of High Keep is a smuggler.

Also fwiw, killing even actual city guards, like halflings at the wall in Misty Thicket is a very Shadowknight / necromancer thing to do for the same reasons, Platinum and FS weapon drops for cash in early game.
  7. quakedragon Augur

Ok but in High Keep thats what the zone was designed for, or was you suppose to go about that zone doing quests for the guards people be killing?

I'm wondering if the developers designed it that people suppose to play it one way, and the community went about it the wrong way and killing all the guards, because of greed?

I do know in early EQ, factions was huge, it was a big deal being an evil, good, or neutral faction.