Hey aybreak! Want to get a lot of Kronos out of circulation?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shaidin, Jun 25, 2017.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I really think it would be a fun "prank" or maybe just something for the MMO history books if all the people squatting on kronos gave them away to try and see how many actual player accounts they could subscribe for a month. What an epic act of humanitarianism it would be!

It might be fun just to see if it would make DBG flinch, if nothing else.
  2. Finley Augur

Sure they are. The OP just assumes Daybreak even wants Krono out of circulation; but why would they? Every Krono in existence represents 17 dollars someone paid to Daybreak and Daybreak has given nothing of value in return (Until the Krono is redeemed). Daybreak loves unused Krono.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Kronos are the most expensive way to pay for a subscription, so I doubt DBG cares too much about that either, but I don't know how many kronos are in "a ton" and I don't know how many friends you give them away to each month :) But if you could make a noticeable/measurable effect by giving away your Kronos, it would be a true (and maybe the only?) way to show everybody that you are REALLY virtually wealthy and have won EQ. I am all for it and you will be a legend forever!
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Dude! Let the Krono Baron Competition begin! You could start your own guild and name it, "Paid for by Oldkracow". Then just tell people that all they need to do for their free krono is join your guild. The Krono Baron with the most subscribers/guild members at the end of the month wins EQ!
  5. yerm Augur

"Making kronos more desirable will lead to less overall sales" just forums things.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

My current guild use to do something similar to this for active member who fell onto financial hardship in RL. I ran a trader that was stocked with only guild donations in terms of gear and other items. People also donated plat and such for the cause. Over a year I think we brought in about two dozen krono and gave them out. This kept up until we got hit with the MIA bug from to many people but it was rather fun managing things. I even created a guild FB page where I would post the weekly donations, how many krono's to date we had, how much total plat and if the people who sent donations were ok with it I would post their name and donation amount to show them some appreciation.
  7. Risiko Augur

Daybreak doesn't lose anything when an in-game digital item is purchased. Setting some bits in a database doesn't reflect "giving anything of value". It's just data in a database.

The only time DBG makes money is when you A) purchase an expansion, B) purchase DBC, C) purchase Krono, and D) pay monthly subscription.

Once the you purchase the Krono or DBC, there is no monetary value to that Krono or DBC as far as DBG is concerned.

By giving people another option to spend Krono on (that actually removes it from the game), like trading for DBC, takes that Krono out of circulation. Since there is an in-game Krono trading market, that means that instead of that same Krono continuing to change hands, the only way it gets replaced is by someone purchasing a new krono from DBG. So, it is in DBG's best interest to offer as many ways to cash in Krono in-game as possible.

The one thing they learned in the past that they had to fix was using DBC for buying expansions. See that was one of those 4 actions I mentioned above that makes DBG money. By allowing people to purchase expansions with DBC, it was actually taking money away from DBG.
    yerm likes this.
  8. code-zero Augur

Daybreak is already giving away DC to All Access to the tune of 500/month. Why would they suddenly effectively want to just give more away in exchange for Krono?

Obviously the OP wants DC very badly but doesn't want to actually have to put in any CC information or whatever to buy more of it. Well than may not be the case but it really sounds like OP just want to have all things in game available without having to spend in real world money gettin it. Daybreak is in the business of making real world money, not in exchanging their virtual currency for something that they've already collected cash for.
  9. AgentofChange Augur

Daybreak has no reason to take krono out of circulation. All you people claiming a krono has to be "consumed" first and it's a liability until then are talking out of your . Congrats on passing your high school accounting class, but those krono are non-refundable. When one is purchased that is realized income for DBG.

The only way to get it refunded is to charge-back, which gets you a perma-ban. Congrats, you played DBG well done on your achievement.
  10. nagash101 Augur

it would be great to use 1 or 2 kronos for a 40 slot bag. shoot paying 2 or 3 kronos for a mount on a TLP server would also be great.
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'd pay 3 or 4 krono per bag just so DBG can make a little extra krono removal in the process vs. $
  12. Green_Mage Augur

I have never RMTed in this game once. I think Krono is fine. Its like legalizing pot. Sure maybe it would be better if no one smoked pot in some magical world. But in the mean time, people smoke pot and the shops here in Oregon keep the whole affair a lot more clean than the black market.

It is the same with Krono. People are going to RMT -- so its better if the game company keeps a handle on it and tries to focus on the black market aspects of it. Its not legal to sell your Krono for RL money. So if there should be emphasis around krono -- it should be getting rid of the black market. Also fighting the exploits the farmers use to make RL money.
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Rauven Augur

They don't collect on the Krono revenue until it is consumed. Those 250 Kronos someone has that aren't being used but being traded? That's $4497.50 NOT in Daybreak's revenue but stuck in a bit of financial limbo

Besides, 1500 DBC for $17.99 instead of $15.00 is a better deal for Daybreak.
  14. code-zero Augur

No, that's just basically writing it off as what amount to a refund and that's one thing they won't all. Besides I'm pretty sure that they want to collect real money for Marketplace items beyond just the 500 they give the All Access accounts. There's a demand for Marketplace or people who misguidedly hoarded Krono would be asking to be able to trade it
  15. AgentofChange Augur

It's this thinking right here that is just wrong. Once a krono is purchased it is earned revenue, you can't return them. They are not a liability to DBG if they go unspent, DBG couldn't care less what you do with it after it's purchased.

It's like saying DBG has to wait the full 30 days before calling a 30 day subscription earned revenue. They don't. If you buy a 30 day subscription today and cancel it tomorrow, guess what, you get $0 back and pay for the full 30 days. You keep your access because that's what you paid for, but it's all earned revenue even if it's only day 29.

This isn't some construction job where you pay up front for services to be rendered.

So there is really no reason for DBG to try and give you incentives to consume krono. All they care about is whether or not you purchase one.
  16. Risiko Augur

So, you are saying that you personally know how DBG's accountants handle the sale of Krono. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you do not, and actually it is just your opinion of how it is handled unless you can provide some proof.
  17. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'll bet 5 krono they don't line item virtual currency as a liability. Unless it's just for the purpose of tracking and not actual valuation.

I'm more interested if they track total outstanding krono against sales of new incoming krono as a relationship metric to gauge if high amounts of krono in play but not used yet are limiting sales of new krono on a month by month basis.
  18. Risiko Augur

Yeah. I completely do not believe they would track individual sales of krono on their financial books. That's what I was pointing out to the guy trying to claim that their value is not realized by DBG until they are used. It's absurd to think any company would carry an in-game item sale on their real-world financials. The most likely scenario is that they realize the financial gain the second that they receive the money from the user's credit card company.

Now if they were smart, they definitely would have a matrix for daily and monthly krono Purchased vs Used vs Total outstanding in-game.
  19. Risiko Augur

You know now what would be interesting is if they gave the opportunity to trade in some arbitrary number of Krono for DBC during holiday events. Something like up to 5 Krono can be cashed for 1,000 DBC during the 4th of July event.

That way, it's not happening all the time. You can't become a DBC millionaire over night. And, it gives those with a lot of Krono sitting around a way to cash out a little for market place currency.

The only reason I can see that DBG would be against trading Krono for DBC is the potential to lose out on the profit of selling Big Bags, Mounts, and especially Experience Potions. I would argue against that fear with the fact that once a user turns a Krono in to DBC, it is permanently stuck to that account where as a Krono is tradable between accounts. In otherwords, If you cash out a bunch of Krono for DBC, it can only benefit YOU.

You can't in turn give that DBC to anyone else. So, it's not like being a DBC millionaire is going to remove the sale of experience potions for the mass majority of users. It's just eliminating the sale of experience potions from the minority of individuals that don't need them in the first place (if you are a Kronoaire or DBC millionaire, you likely already have a crap load of max level characters in other words).

In fact, there would be zero incentive for RMTers to exchange Krono for DBC. They would be eliminating their black market currency for what... the ability to get a blinged out mount for free? Really. If anybody thinks that is what RMTers want, then they don't understand RMTers.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The truth is that we don't know for sure. You might be right, or the people disagreeing with you might be right. Common sense would say you are wrong, why would they not realize the gain until it's used? But there is precedent for this. When I read your post I flashed back a few years ago, to an EVE Online thread about this same topic. They have PLEX, it's basically the same as Krono. They were having the same argument we are having here. The difference is that CCP documents this behavior in their financial statement.

"3.7.2 In-game currency
    Revenue from the sale of in-game currency is recognized when it has been consumed and rendering of service has been fully satisfied.
    • revenues received from the sale of unused in-game currency are reported as deferred revenues among current liabilities."

I couldn't find a financial statement for DBG and I don't know if this would be covered there even if I could have. They could be doing it either way, but we really don't know.