Hero's Journey....Dorina's detour to Hell

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Radakill, May 14, 2020.

1. Radakill New Member

Who else thinks that forcing a player to up a trade skill in Hero's Journey is a great way to ruin a quest line? And its not for just one character you have to go through this mundane boring and time consuming, let alone expensive side track into something that many people just dont find entertaining at all, you have to do it with literally all of your characters for the quest to progress. Not to mention that if you fail on just 1 try with any of the ingredients, you lose them and have to add hours of repetition to your day for each and every failure.

It wouldnt be so bad if you just leveled up tailoring for 1 toon, then made the bag for the rest, NOOOoooOOOOoo... this idiotic quest insists that you go through this hellish process for each and every character, so not only are you wasting time doing something you hate, your doing it many times over, and it has no benefit to you on multiple characters as no one needs to have the same crafting skill repeated on each and every toon.

Ive been playing games since before most of you were born. In fact, I was in beta for EQ long before it was released back in the 90's. It was one of my first MMO's. Doubt that there are many I havent played since then, and I can say for a fact, I cant think of ONE that forces you to craft like this in a story line/quest line, a quest line that will be irrevocably broken if just one part of it is skipped, so you have little options if you want to finish it out in its entirety.

Dont know who came up with this ingenious idea or what dev group it was, but it sure smells like DBG, and good god people, game are supposed to be fun, not a tour in hell.

DBG, if you can do just one thing intelligent this year, consider removing DORINA's LOVE from the Hero's Journey, or at the very least, pull the crafting aspect of it and make it an option.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  2. svann Augur

Wait till you get to the ldon part.
    366 expeditions
    Coagagin and Pelrond like this.
  3. Pelrond Elder

Yeah. I have gotten to that part of the heroes journey at least 10 times. Always with the intention that "this time I am gonna do it." Yeah, never happens. Complete disgust shortly after getting back at it. I think I have toons on every server (I am an alt junky) and I have probably at least 1 one every server who starts with the intention to finish but honestly there are better ways to spend my time. If I think back into the recesses of time, I did complete with 1 toon right after the heroes journey was created. But I think the toon I did it with was 75 or 85 by the time I completed it. The reward was less than exciting. And this is coming from someone who has mastered all the trade skills at one time or another. This part of the journey should be an achievement in trade skills, not in the heroes journey.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  4. Elvenphox Lorekeeper

You should definitely give up now. Leveling all tradeskills to 300 is literally less than 1% of the journey. svann mentioned the LDoNs, there are also numerous monster missions, TSS raids (including all the progression required to get them), BiC questline, etc.
  5. Buri Augur

Yeah, it probably shouldn't be in Hero's Journey, but the simple fact is: you don't HAVE to do it.
    Raptorjesus5, Coagagin and Tatanka like this.
  6. Astral64 Augur

7. Drunkenlion55u New Member

Trying to work out how this here is anyway relevant to this topic?
    such a weird flex

you also say sure smells like DBG, hasn't the heros journey been in game for like a decade? so it would have been Sony that did that.
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You do know that for Dorina's quest you don't actually have to level up crafting & can have an npc make the parts for you for a price right?

Alternatively you can also have another player craft them for you if I recall correctly.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I can't imagine how an experienced MMO player such as yourself would have an issue with such a newbie low level quest. EQ has always had intricate involved quests with tricky parts from the beginning. Which if you were in Beta you would recognize, or wait maybe you wouldn't since no quests were written out back then. And this is how it will be till the end.

But its your choice to do it or not. The Hero's Journey is meant to be a "guide" to help players decide "what to do next" but many players do find satisfaction in completing all the achievements. Others never touch it, but make their own journey.

There will be many that will be just as frustrating as you feel this one was. Nothing is demanding you spend plat, money or time on it. Not sure how this is deemed an "expensive side track"

So at this point you have stated your displeasure, which many newbies do when the going gets hard, but there is no valid reason stated for the quest to be taken out of the Hero's Journey Line.

I am amazed you are not upset or have not noticed they took the Hero's Journey Tome out of the game.

Edit: perhaps a TLP server would be better suited to your playstyle.
  10. Tuco Augur

I've been asking Ngreth to make Heroes Journey a requirement for the next evolving item. I hadn't looked into it but it's one of the few things I have left to do on my warrior.

But 366 LDoN expeditions and a bunch of monster missions? Pass.
    Barton likes this.
  11. Owch Crotchety SOB

It's Ciodaru's quests that allow you to pay the NPCs to make the items. For Dorina, you have to make the bag yourself. Each subcombine is a task step, and there are no optional steps as there are for Ciodaru.
    Pelrond likes this.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yeah, that LDON hunter is a pain specifically since I already had over 600 LDONs done from when that expansion came out. I took pride in being #1 in the stat board:cool: Not that anyone even knows how to access that little feature. But now I get to redo them all to get those ach

But Hero's Journey for the next evolving item would be huge. Huge I tell you!
  13. Astral64 Augur

Alt + V

View Stats

Leaderboard

[IMG]
    Varillian, Tatanka and CatsPaws like this.
  14. Pelrond Elder

So now I want to finish it. Dang it. This time I am gonna do it!
  15. Buri Augur

Yeah, I thought that was kinda odd too.. plus I seriously doubt it. When I was born, there were NO electronic games.
    Treage_Imminent, Tatanka and Barton like this.
  16. Captain Video Augur

RHI next evolving item will be based on a new "Historian's Journey" which will begin in S Qeynos and use content from every expansion. You heard it here first. :)
  17. Laronk Augur

My wife recently started playing the game and she's been enjoying hero's journey. She mostly prefers to play by herself and check off the check boxes. At first she was really frustrated with tradeskilling until I showed her she can just use the bazaar for some stuff that she's missing and then it didn't bother her anymore.
    Celephane likes this.
  18. Zamiam Augur

you make it sound like Beta was years before game came out .. game came out in march of 99 and beta was from late 97 ..so beta ran for like maybe 15mo .. not even a year and half ..

I didnt play during beta , but I started playing EQ in 99 .. oh the memories :p those were the days !!
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Bring it on!

I'm done and have been for years. Don't recall doing all those LDONS just for it though. Previous ones may have counted as I think it is the Aug that is needed not the individual missions.

I do remember having to petition to get my hills of shade augs updated for the 1 time only quests that I'd destroyed the reward. I was told they couldn't give me the rewards as they had no record of me having it. Petitioned instead for the 16 individual pieces to create the 2 rewards that my achievements said I had done...magically they then decided they cod gives the 2 Aug instead of the 16 quest items to create them. Lol
  20. Pelrond Elder

Narrator: But this time he did not, in fact, do it.
    Treage_Imminent and Svann2 like this.