Heroic chars are nice but what about the price of the game?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raluden, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Raluden Elder

To anyone at SOE,

Heroic characters are a nice incentive, but the fact is I quit because I was paying about $60 a month, with multimonth purchase discounts, for 5 accounts. $60 a month, plus $200 for CotF. That's just too much. The monthly price needs to come down, and volume discounts for us boxers would be a nice gesture, too. You're charging a premium price for an antiquated game in a crap economy.

I'm happy with the party I've build but the economics are ridiculous and no longer feasible. And no one give me Silver/FtP. Those characters are useless.
  2. SaderakhBertox Augur

Video games are a privilege, not a right.
  3. Tharrg Augur

the game is F2P....just unsub, untill you can afford it.
    Hawklight Yandli and Chikkin like this.
  4. Apathy Elder

I run several accts, all gold. It can be pricey; especially around expansion time. I aim to use the free ( hopefully, completely free) heroic toon option to get my last few level 80 toons to 85. It's cheaper if I pay for the year instead of month to month... Perhaps you try that.
    As far as silver acts being crap, I think any max or reasonably high level dps class is fine to use along your main (gold) acct. I keep my acts gold only because I utilize the 500 SC a month.
  5. Raluden Elder

Yeah and you have to charge appropriately for that privilege. Why don't they jack the price to $19.99/mo? Because everyone would quit. Dropping it to $9.99/mo would bring in more people and encourage more players.
  6. Apathy Elder

Iirc, paying for the year sub breaks down to around $9.99/month.
  7. Kelefane Augur

Ive always thought that they should bring the monthly sub cost down too. But ive been thinking that for the past few years though, so its nothing new coming from me. I just dont feel like what we are getting in game is being reflected in regards to what we are paying monthly. I mean, EQs monthly sub rates are pretty much the same as other new, shinier games out there. EQ is an old game and we have been getting minimalistic content among other things lately. The monthly fees need to reflect what we get in game and currently, they dont. We are paying a premium subscription for a game that has clearly slowly declined from a development standpoint over the past few years.

In short, we should be getting what we are paying for, but we are not. Its why so many folks have felt ripped off ever since COTF went live. If content is going to be minimalistic, then dont make us pay top of the line MMORPG fees.

For example, I do not feel like EQ fees should cost the same as WoWs. I feel like EQ fees should be cheaper than WoWs. WoW is just one example though.

In other words, we are still paying a premium monthly fee for EQ like its a top shelf game.....when anyone with a brain knows its not.

EQ should cost $7.99/month to be honest. The current fees need to be halved. $7.99/month is about spot on regarding what we are getting in game lately. $7.99 reflects what we are getting lately.
  8. Yesway Augur

I doubt the 14.99 is causing people to quit and I also doubt that raising it to 19.99 would make everyone quit. Dropping it to 9.99 would most likely not actually make an appreciable difference in the number of new subscriptions for main accounts. The only thing it would most likely increase is the number of gold accounts that are boxes.
    Aanuvane and Chikkin like this.
  9. Bigbear Augur

if u pay month to month then yes this game is very expensive.... but if u pay by the year then its not so bad... me and my wife have 6 gold accounts... we pay by the year and we took advantage of the 25% discount that they offered during the summer of 2012.. we pay 97.08 including tax for each account... thats only 8.09 a month..it would be nice if SOE would offer that discount every year for those that missed it back then... but with all access coming next month... all soe games for 8.09 a month is pretty nice ....even with buying 6 collector's edition expansions a year... i calculated it to like 2.66 a day less than that if u divide by the 6 accounts....how much cheaper can this game really get???

i understand that people fall on hard times ... and sometimes my wife and i have to watch what we spend ourselves... but this is our entertainment that we enjoy together... nobody is forcing us (nor is anyone being forced) to have more than 1 account each...
    Gythlen and Apathy like this.
  10. Abazzagorath Augur

That's just dumb. We get way more content than you get in WoW, they have like what? 4 expansions of content? So you're being completely contradictory. And WoW itself is 10 years old for that matter.

The price is fine. Its extremely cheap entertainment. If its too expensive for someone that person is probably better off prioritizing something else anyway.
    Chikkin likes this.
  11. Kelefane Augur

COTF is "way more content"? Really? I dont mean the past, I mean lately. If you think what we are paying fee wise is being reflected in game these days then...........lol

Sometimes you SOE apologists make me laugh.
  12. Abazzagorath Augur

Since October 2010 Wow has had 2 expansions. Everquest has had 4. Considering we are talking about content justifying monthly subscription rates, yes, eq has "way more content". House of Thule, Veil of Alaris, Rain of Fear and Call of the Forsaken >>> Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria.

Sometimes you cheap short sighted people make me laugh.
    Genoane and Chikkin like this.
  13. Kelefane Augur

I also said that WoW was just one example.

Sometimes you selective reading people make me laugh.
  14. Kelefane Augur

And also, you are not adding in the content that WoW adds for free between expansions in huge patches. A lot of WoW content comes in between expansions. This "in between expansion" content that WoW gets blows EQs "in between expansion" content out of the water. There is no comparison where that is concerned.

Each major patch in WoW is like a small expansion.

But anyway, WoW is just one example. There are others.
  15. Abazzagorath Augur

*shrug*

Stop paying for it then. If you're paying for it, its obviously worth it. I really don't see the point. If you're willing to pay it, then you're just complaining because you want to spend less, not because its not worth it.
  16. Darzag Elder

The cost of a one month EQ subscription is about the same as a movie or a dinner out. Those two things provide about 2 hours of entertainment. EQ provides endless hours of entertainment for the same price. People need to stop complaining. It is possibly the best bargain in entertainment today.
    drkoli, Hawklight Yandli and Aanuvane like this.
  17. Kelefane Augur

But what you pay by doing those things is being reflected by what you get in return. You pay to see a movie that you want to see, you'll have a good time. Some folks arent complaining about the rate fee itself, just that what we are paying isnt being reflected in game at all recently. If you pay a premium fee, then you best be getting premium content in return. That isnt happening at all right now.
  18. Yesway Augur

Weak argument, because the answer then is to not pay the fee if you aren't happy with what you are getting.
  19. Kelefane Augur

Are you happy with COTF? Can you sit there with a straight face and say that what we are paying is being reflected in game currently?

Also, its a not weak argument if its true. There are a lot of unhappy people playing this game right now. More than you or I even realize.
  20. Tharrg Augur

Well....when content is only released and geared for end game... what do you really expect? They have released content too fast... they need to slow down and take a break. and work on some content for about a year to make a really good expansion... in the mean time to keep people busy they can update some quests, and add fix some of the older content... then put out a big expansions.
    Gythlen likes this.