Heroic characters for progression!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Batbener, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Batbener Augur

Obviously I don't mean the level 85 ones, but it seems to me the biggest problem with progression servers are there are very few new players replacing the ones that leave. With kunark opening up on ragefire, it got me to thinking. When Velious hits, why not have a level 50 heroic? They have the templates with OMMs, and Beta buffs. A group loot geared toon that is 1 or 2 xpacs behind could be a way to inject some new blood into the servers every once in a while.
  2. Korillo Augur

What is a heroic character? I stopped playing after Underfoot so I would assume they came sometime after that... which to me implies that they shouldn't really be on progression for a long time, but since I don't know how they differ from a regular character it would be unfair to dismiss it entirely.
  3. RainbowTest Augur

The biggest problem isn't the lack of players its the destruction of the playerbase by the unmitigated rampage of RMT and toxic "pseudo pvp" players who "dps brah" everything for their next krono trade to keep their presence on the server possible.
    KarmaThaKing likes this.
  4. Zurd Lorekeeper

I can't say I see this as a good idea for a few reasons.

1. It doesn't take that long to level up a TLP character to begin with...so the price DBG would charge would likely be out of line with any time sink value it would provide.
    2. A great deal of people who came back to TLP did so for some nostalgic experience which included some of that early experience...I don't see a second wave coming in just to e 50.
    3. I honestly don't see a bunch of Live or retired players wanting to return to TLP but skip the 1-49 experience to sit around at the top...(similar but slightly different from #2)
    4. If people think mage armies are bad now...wait till they they can be bought even easier.
    5. the population on TLP appears to die off when we have saturation at the top....
    6. Remember the level cap doesn't really go up that much so making level 50 characters when the cap is 60-65 is probably not going to be a draw, esp when half the fun of Kunark and SoL were exploring noobie areas with the new races.
    7. I'd rather have instanced content and keep the players we have who are sitting idle at 50 than create more people to sit around waiting for...whatever.

Those are just my thoughts. I have days when the suggestion doesn't sound terrible and there are days when a merc doesn't sound terrible either. But I have more days than not when I see these things as bad things.

The underlying issues with EQ are an issue with an aging game and a Frankenstein set of rules and game mechanics caused by 20+ expansions...I just don't see this solving it, or improving it over a few other suggestions.

All opinions are just that..opinions.
  5. RandomStrategy Augur

I wouldn't necessarily support that idea, since once Kunark releases, I plan to go through the low level content there with my cleric alt (gotta get to level 29 to imbue some diamonds.....why...oh why did I pick Mith Marr for my paladin blacksmith?). I plan to do the same with Velious and start a Ring War with my main Paladin!

(DISCLAIMER: THIS PALADIN IS NOT AT FAULT FOR DEATH OF ALL DWARVES IN THURGADIN.)
  6. Porygon Augur

Yes, because the decline in players on both previous TLP's had to do with kronos and DPS racing. I honestly think sometimes people have no idea what they are talking about, and just see someone else say something and repeat it.
  7. Foxxbott Lorekeeper

8. avehole New Member

A lot of people leave because they cant get raid gear too. Lets include a full set of bis for each auto lvl 50 toon. Oh they also dont like not having plat sooo lets give each one 100...no 300k plat to start.
  9. RainbowTest Augur

Ok genius, try this one on for size then: The number one cause for decline on these servers is the lack of instancing when every other alternative same genre game on the market provides it along with more modern QoL features and bells and whistles.

Do us a favor and don't talk anymore. RMT existed very much during Fippy/vulak it just didn't give sony a cut.
  10. Aekold Augur

So quit complaining and go play one of those games. Seriously, your pissant 'we need instancing because X has it' might be the worst line of reasoning in existence. Those games have instancing, these particular servers on this game don't.

If you're not willing to accept that some people play this game instead of the ones that do feature instancing precisely because they prefer the different style then YOU are the problem.
    Malachi and liveitup1216 like this.
  11. Batbener Augur

So like, most everyone that still plays EQ has had BIS at some point. In fact, BIS, Parse and Third party software that wont be mentioned aren't new terms to us, we knew about them 15 years ago. I get that you "worked" really hard to get where you are on this progression go around. I also know most of my friends that play EQ and aren't doing progression this time around could be convinced to play again. That would mean an "active server". I get that it's active now. The population will continue to dwindle if "new" people don't start playing again. And by new people, I mean people that have done what you are doing, but only 15 years ago.

I get you had to "grind" levels this time around. They did it when there were actual hell levels. Remember those? Probably not. They need a reason to play. Since they weren't aware of the progression servers when it popped, we have two obligations. One, let them know and two make it less of a grind to catch up.
  12. Detheb Augur

I'm just curious. Why would you assume he doesn't know about hell levels? I mean, i'd wager that an overwhelming majority of the players on these servers played during Trilogy? When you start assuming that you(and your friends) have a claim to fame because of hell levels? Your argument begins to hold little weight. Just food for though, for the future. :D
  13. Porygon Augur

You're very dense. Explain why the population declines with every expansion...When every expansion brings you closer and closer to instancing. And brings more and more raid content.

And I'm aware that RMT exists, trust me. It also is a zero factor in anything. No-one is quitting EQ because another person is making money. You're not too bright.

The reason the population declines, is because with every expansion that is unlocked, people are less and less interested. The later expansions are the ones people dislike the most, therefore they quit.

Also, instancing was NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED on the previous 2 TLPs...Because no-one was even aware it could be done...And these servers saw the same decline in population...

But yea, it's gotta be instancing...Yea, that sounds right.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  14. Ballamur New Member

People are leaving because they feel entitled. I paid my 15 dollars, bought a krono, etc so I deserve every last item handed to me now....they dont have the patience for the long game.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  15. captnstudy Lorekeeper

I started on rf, xferred to lj and have never once ran into someone who tried to dps race me for any drop. I camped cgs, rlp, fbss, smr etc. when they were of lvl and 50s would come in, see me there and then leave. I'm sure that this does happen, but find it unlikely that it's the norm
  16. Batbener Augur

I had been drinking, so I wasn't as articulate as I would have liked. I wasn't trying to insinuate that people didn't go through hell levels, just that they were a long time ago and really don't remember. They were brutal. This is what people that haven't done the progression thing remember. They have no desire to grind it out again like they did. Seeing content they haven't seen before would be fun for them, but grinding it out at 45 for a month in frenzy wouldn't be.

Also, some people are fed up with classic. They have done the 99 thing, they have done other progression servers, and have no desire to play classic again. They are plenty of people that haven't even heard of the progression server at this point and time, and in a year, might want to check it out. You have a bunch of people that are playing Velious on 99, and just might want give Luclin a shot. I couldn't imagine playing on 99 for 3 years, and then switching over, only to grind to 60 again, even if it would only take a semi serious player a month. Giving someone group gear from classic, in Velious shouldn't change anything for those currently playing, other than giving them new people to play with. You will be able to buy an FBSS for 100pp about a month after Kunark opens. Giving one to someone in velious isn't going to affect the economy. A bunch of new people, in gear two xpacs back is actually going to help the economy. Because these new people are going to want to gear up as soon as they get some plat, or buy a krono. It would be nice to sell something other than tradeskill items and spells in the bazaar, would it not?

Or, we can just sit back and watch the death march that every progression server becomes, when even the top(and only) guild is recruiting in general begging for players, because they are sick of leveling up classes that they don't want to play, but need to raid. If not giving someone something from classic because you had to earn it means that much to you, cool. I personally don't care if we make it easy for people not playing now to catch up.
  17. Nolrog Augur

/facepalm.

/em walks away shaking his head in disbelief.
    Malachi and Templeton like this.
  18. Templeton Augur

Oh, FFS.

Just play the damned game.

What's wrong with you people?
    Nolrog likes this.
  19. Malachi Augur

I've read requests for mercs and heroic chars in the last week on this tlp forum. I can't even...
  20. Batbener Augur

Well, Mercs and heroics are coming to the progression server, the question is when. I know some of you played on progression before. They are already losing steam and we aren't even out of classic. By PoP they'll be ghost towns again. I get most of you will quit by then, as you did the last time around. I am trying to come up with ideas to get new people to play other than the initial "OMG it's CLASSIC" rush.