Heroic Beastlord Basics

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Rickate, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Rickate Augur

These are really obvious spells to use unless you have a better buff, first spell is 81-85 version, 2nd spell is 86-90 version, pretty sure all AA listed are auto-granted with Heroic:

Spirit of Hoshkar, Spirit of Averc - pet
    Spirit of Vaxztn, Spirit of Kron - pet proc that is DD, Stun and de-aggro
    Friendly Pet, Bolstering Warder - pet proc that heals tank
    Unrivaled Rapidity, Incomparable Velocity - group buff
    Spiritual Edification, Spiritual Enhancement - group buff
    Spiritual Verve, Spiritual Valor - group buff
    Focus of Yemall, Focus of Emiq - group buff
    Cadmael's Mending, Jorra's Mending - heal

And then one of:
    AA: Hobble of Spirits - permanent duration pet proc that snares
    Fellgrip Jaws, Deadlock Jaws - pet proc that slows and DD

And then one of once you gain a level:
    Neivr's Aggression (Level 86) - pet attacking boost buff
    Neivr's Protection (Level 86) - pet tanking boost buff

Along with the (situationally) useful pre-81 spells:
    Sha's Legacy - 65% slow at Magic -30 (Sha's Reprisal at Level 87 is -35)
    Incapacitate
    Spirit of Tala'Tak (requires EoK or Spirit of Bih`li)
    Annul Magic, Eradicate Disease, Eradicate Poison
    AA: Nature's Salve - self only cure, 1min refresh

Activatable AA/Disc with obvious (situational) uses:

Origin, Group Shrink, Improved Natural Invisibility, Mass Group Buff, Tranquil Blessings, Perfected Levitation, Summon Companion, Companion's Discipline (also moves pet), Companion's Suspension, Companion's Intervening Divine Aura, Playing Possum (feign death), Chameleon Strike (20 sec refresh DD and de-aggro), Pact of the Wurine (separate permanent buffs of self boost and illusion), Mend Companion, Paragon of Spirit, Focused Paragon of Spirits, Forceful Rejuvenation, Attack of the Warders (pet swarm AA, 10min refresh), Protection of the Warder (defensive AA, 15min refresh), Roar of Thunder (cripple and de-aggro AA, 4.5min refresh), Disc: Foray (Rush at Level 90, 30sec refresh single target attack), Disc: Bestial Vivisection (Level 86, self buff you can maintain), Disc: Respite (Level 86, effectively infinite endurance), Disc: Flurry of Claws (Level 87, 30sec refresh 3 target attack that can hit mobs through walls), Disc: Resistant and Fearless (in theory better than nothing in some situations)

Then some which also have potential stacking issues along with the shared timer issue with Spires, since only 3rd Spire is a % it most likely becomes clearly the best as you level up:

Companion's Fortification, Bestial Alignment, Group Bestial Alignment, Frenzy of Spirit, First, Second and Third Spires, Disc: Protective Spirit Discipline, Disc: Empathic Fury, Disc: Nature's Fury (Level 88)

Then for pet healing you have 4 lines:
    Promised Rejuvenation, Promised Wardmending - pet heal
    Minax's Mending, Wilap's Mending - pet HoT
    Salve of Reshan, Salve of Sevna - pet heal/cure
    Spellbreaker's Aegis, Spellbreaker's Rampart - pet defensive, 36 sec base recast

Then for damage you have 9 lines, Moon and Feralgia share a recast timer:

Frozen Venom, Frozen Venin - Ice/Poison DD, 4.5 sec recast
    Ikaav Blood, Spinechiller Blood - Poison DD/DoT
    Growl of the Jaguar, Growl of the Tiger - maintainable pet and self damage boost
    Savage Ferocity, Callous Ferocity - single target damage boost, 2 min recast
    xxxx, Kron's Maelstrom - Poison/Disease/Ice DD, 12 sec recast

Haergen's Feralgia, Tuzil's Feralgia - pet swarm and pet boost, 18 sec recast
    Yowl at the Moon, Shout at the Moon - pet swarm, 18 sec recast
    Frigid Lance, Glacial Lance - Ice DD, 30 sec recast
    Bite of the Vitrik, Sarsez' Bite - Poison DD, 30 sec recast
    Tsetsian Endemic, Shiverback Endemic - Disease DoT

I think Heroic Beastlord starts with 12 spell slots, I might have that many only because of AA refunds. In a group you can probably just go with 9 damage lines since most of your utility is redundant, solo/molo I don't see a good reason to mem 30sec recast nukes, the pet swarms lead to too much downtime and Disease DoTs are pretty much never a good idea at any level for any class.
    Quatr likes this.
  2. Puzzling Journeyman

This doesn't have a stacking issue with the level specific DD pet buff? Because it most certainly does later on, which makes me think that the /copy > /edit +2% > rename > paste programming would have it earlier as well.

As I have said many times in the past, the player heal is utter garbage & your pet will ALWAYS out tank you, if you mind your agro, so keeping the player heal up is just silly, salve or bust.

Curious though, what was the point of this post?

You didn't tell me how to burn, or how i should cast spells & use mellee abilities. you explained most of the AA in a way that only most people that understood them would understand... Example... Protection of the Warder (defensive AA, 15min refresh) . Is that my pet defensive? or is it mine? Can I use it if my pet is dead?

Just trying to understand...

As a side note...
    That seems like an insanely broad statement, even for this particular class, let alone "ANY" class. Marginal, maybe... but useless no... like most things with "this" class... it is situational.
  3. Rickate Augur

Fellgrip Rk.3 and Deadlock Rk.3 are both Slot 4: -100 Magic slow procs. These remain valuable spells at Level 110.

At Level 97 you have Slot 1: -35 Magic Cripple proc (Rk.3 Withering Bite) and don't let the name fool you Fatiguing Bite is not a slow proc, both conflict with Spirit of Nak also from RoF.

This gets repeated at Level 107 you have have Slot 1: -35 Magic Cripple proc (Rk.3 Debilitating Bite) and don't let the name fool you Exhausting Bite is not a slow proc, both conflict with Spirit of Beramos also from RoS.

So you move out of Rampage range and chain cast Salve? That's certainly one tactic, I choose to use a different tactic.

I've just at quasi-random picked a Heroic Beastlord because I prefer to TS farm with level appropriate characters and have a bunch of 85ish toons available to me mostly from free Heroic promotions. But even at that level of investment in the character I like to know what it can do and in theory this board is a source of information so I introduced a topic by posting basic information and there will potentially be a useful reply and maybe someone will learn something from the post, certainly surprising when the person learning something raids with RoI.
  4. Lifeshriek Augur

In general, it's good to be open to learning new stuff...I wouldn't mind seeing an updated pet slow proc to be honest that gets rid of the hit limit and changes the dot damage to direct damage.
  5. Puzzling Journeyman

Remind me what the hit limit is on Deadlock? As far as I can see, it's right about 2 procs... There are "very, very" few mobs in the game that would require the use of this spell ever, at this point it's NEVER worth having on the spell bar. Considering the class already have a spell, and an AA that "almost" make it so you can chain cast slow.

WTF are you fighting at lvl 85, that requires you to move out of range of "Rampage"????? Are you too good for mercs? My point was this, I can always back up, and I'm probably the single best healer my pet will ever have, so if it comes down to 1 heal or the other, I always go for salve, on raids, in groups, soloing w/ pet, moloing. That spell is so utterly amazing, it should never not be memmed.

Replying to random degenerates drunk is kind of my thing, sober I barely have the patience to read the gibberish most people come up with. So sorry that I mispoke about a spell you should never "at this point, or at 85" have memmed.

From what I can see, there is plenty of random advice for playing a BL on these forums, and others. It appears you just wanted to put your little two cents in, which overall contributed nothing to the overall benefit of the next heroic, who is going to log in and beg for a PL, or have a buddy do it for him.

Good for you though, playing a level specific character while farming trivial trade skill parts. EQ needs more people like YOU! Since competing with another 110 can make farming a mild annoyance, there will be far less people complaining in general chats, when they got to stomp 96% of the zone, while you suffer through the other 4%. Bravo!

I would still rather see this rule applied to the healing component of Convival Warder, rather than the slow from Jaws, since I'm 100% sure that asking for both would be "asking too much".
  6. Rickate Augur

Option A) Chain cast -35 Slow after the named fight starts
    Option B) Essentially cast two -100 Slows on the named before you engage

There are 4 kinds of mercs, 3 of those mercs won't heal anyone including themselves but do considerably more damage than the 4th merc type. When I or the merc take damage by far the most effective tool to restore those HP is xxxx Mending. With 12 spell slots it's really easy to mem Mending even with a Healer merc, I would just have to pick it over options like a Disease DoT.

It's this weird concept where I play the game for fun. I can chain run Zeka and Beza instances with a Level 110 but that would be super boring so I would just do level appropriate content with the 110 or farm vastly more efficiently at work and then use plat to get the Gyropspire drops I needed. Playing a new class and learning what it can do instead of being carried through content with 5 or 53 other people so I can write stupid things above a 230k Magelo sig is entertaining to me while you clearly prefer the latter.
  7. DaciksBB Augur

Or considering merc dps is abysmal, why not take the one that can heal so that you're not standing around casting a slow heal with a mediocre base instead of doing dps yourself. Are you going to say beastlord dps is worse than that of a merc now?
  8. Quatr Augur

I wonder if it depends on the level. If a newly minted level 85 Heroic Beastlord can keep his warder up with pet heals, perhaps using a caster merc over a healer merc may result in a net DPS gain, at least for a few levels.

In any event, thanks for the write-up, Rickate. I have added it to my list of Heroic BST guides to review once I finally get off my butt and Heroic my BST.
  9. Rickate Augur

J5 merc at 85 is not doing abysmal DPS and you're primarily healing the damage output of the mobs with pet heals that aren't slow and don't have a mediocre base. But then you have Rampage, AE, maybe a little sloppy with aggro control and that's where Mending comes in. I'm saying I'm actually playing a Heroic Beastlord and it's really obvious that mobs are dying faster with a non-healer merc.

I don't play an end game Beastlord but I'll take a guess that for instance you could do a Tower run for Overhaste while primarily using pet heals to deal with mob damage output but you would also want to mem a heal that lands on anything other than your own pet. Or for instance you feel like doing some TDS content for bags, ach points or whatever and instead of using the healer merc you tank with the pet but occasionally need to toss a heal on yourself or the merc.

Now that's a guess and if you say you went to TDS and it was faster killing with less downtime using a healer merc, I'll take your word for it because I have no way of testing it. If you insist on bringing a Priest or Paladin to to any Tower run, that's your choice and maybe a Beastlord can't handle the healing burden. But this never use Mending and I don't know what use a -100 Slow can be are moronic comments.
    DaciksBB and Quatr like this.