Heroic Augments for non-heroic toons?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tweelis, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Tweelis Augur

So awhile back I made a heroic toon, did the feerrott and HoT tasks and was pleasantly rewarded with a nice augment on that toon. Now I decided to make a regular level 1 toon and level him up to 85 and do the same quests as my old heroic toon.....hoping for some decent augments to carry me through "adulthood".

So I just completed "A Panting Lizard" in Feerrott hoping for an augment as well as faction and xp. Well, I got the xp and faction but no augment.

Are these augments only for heroic toons or did I do something wrong or something else? I'm level 85, completed the task and even did the final hail.

Help!!!
  2. smash Augur

As NAME imply, heroic = heroic chars only.
  3. Tweelis Augur

Well rats.

I thought when the J5 merc quest was opened to all they did the same thing for the augments. My gear is good but my augments are terrible for my level. Guess I'll have to get them the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the info.
  4. Croak Augur

You can get augs the old camping mobs way, or from heroic adventures but they won't be the same.

Most decent oldschool augs are prestige, and you won't get better than the heroic aug for the charm slot until RoF charm aug when 95+

You can get augs from CoTF heroic adventures to save yourself camping them
  5. Tweelis Augur

As it stands I'm level 85 with 5200AC fully buffed. My gear is tier 1 and 2 HoT stuff so it's up to snuff. However flameshields are the only aug's I have over 25AC. If I tried to be a beneficial member of a group in anything newer than Feerrott/HoT lower I'd be laughed at. As it stands I'm a mana sponge. I really need another 400-500AC to be viable and that's only going to come through augs IMO.
  6. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

HoT raised the level cap to 90, so T1 HoT is where a level 85 belongs, no?
  7. Agrippa Augur

Well, T1 HoT is for 80th to 85th, T2 for 82nd to 87th, and T3 for 85th to 90th. If they're not wanting to bottomfeed, I'd hope they would be looking at T3 HoT or T1 VoA.
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Players had 2 years to get to level 85 before HoT was released. I'm not saying it can't be done at lower levels, but it seems reasonable to me that level 85s should be in HoT T1 and equivalent until they improve.
  9. Brohg Augur

You would not gain anything like that amount of AC from Heroic augs, they are 30ac each. The top Prestige augs at that level are - wait for it - 35ac. Not what you'd call world shaking.
  10. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

If you're looking at playing enough to really worry about upgrading augs, unless you're in serious financial distress, it seems to me it's time to pony up the $10/mo for All-Access. If you don't want to sign up for a whole year, GameStop has 30-day game cards for $10 until the 28th.
    Brohg likes this.
  11. Tweelis Augur

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

I'm all access and have a lot of prestige items. A few of my slots had no augs at all, most were AC5-AC15 augs with the exception of 4 flameshields (AC25 from Riftseekers). Having a good shield, all tier 1 gear from house of thule and feerrott with all autogranted AA's made it possible for me to tank older content (Beza, Steamfactory, OGH, etc.). When I tried to tank in house of thule zones I had to have two healers plus a slower to keep me alive which of course meant the group DPS was lacking. I made my sk so I could join my wife on this server. Transferring my sk from Saryrn/Bertoxx crossed my mind (his gear and augs are way superior to the toon I'm talking about here) but since we're leveling up together I decided to keep the two separate.

What I was hoping to do was a night or two of quick tasks to get all my augs up to snuff rather than take the really slow leveling way up and keep all my augs in good shape. I know from experience that a level 80 SK with 6000AC can tank quite well in house of thule and feerrott. I even managed to tank in grounds and the well with my other sk without getting flattened regularly.

So my thinking was I'd do all the feerrott and house of thule tasks. I'd collect 20 or so augments that are in the AC30 range. This would bump my AC from 5000 to somewhere in the 5600-5700 range plus add around 45hDex and a handful of other heroic stats....voila, a viable level 85 tank that doesn't have to go through hours of camping all over the game.

Since getting the heroic augs isn't an option I'm now looking at heading to Cooling Chamber, Foundation, Underquarry, Brells Rest, Frostcrypt and a bunch of other zones that I have no desire to revisit. Either that or simply subject others to getting leached until I can get augs that allow me to be a positive contributing member of a group.....thank you but I prefer to carry my own weight.

Does this make more sense?
  12. Borek-VS Augur

It makes a lot of sense to me, and I have sympathy for you. That the heroic augs aren't available to normal characters was a surprise to me, too. The workaround to get a reasonable aug set is well known, and is a major pain. I suppose that for old characters (such as for returnees), SOE might have assumed that they had already done the grunt work, but I would have thought that newly rolled characters, such as yours, should have been allowed for too. Unless they just want you to buy Heroic for that character, after having levelled it.
  13. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Mercs are supposed to suck, otherwise, real players would have even more trouble getting groups. It sounds like the mercs are allowing you to progress slowly, which tells me they're balanced properly. I do agree that tanks need more gear than casters, and that is an imbalance, but it sounds like buying a Heroic Character would put you where you want to be, so what's stopping you? SC cards are still on sale at GameStop until the 28th.

If you were handed all the gear you wanted, the game wouldn't be much fun for most people. If the game had too much included for free, there wouldn't be enough revenue to make it a worthwhile business, and it would get shut down ala EQ Mac. The FtP game is actually quite a lot compared to other FtP programs, and $10/mo and a $36 expansion per year is extraordinarily cheap entertainment when you consider how long you play for that investment compared to other forms of entertainment.
  14. Borek-VS Augur

Hint: he's not F2P.
  15. Versifier Elder

Couple of suggestions for easy to acquire above 30 AC augs, both are mage summoned, available in the bazaar and level 75 Req. Tavon's Polished Gemstone (Head|Shoulders - 34 AC, 120 HP, 5 Corr.) and Tavon's Burnished Gemstone (Legs|Feet - 34 AC, 120 Mana/End, 5 Corr.) Certainly not the best but at level 80 decent enough, they are non lore so you can have two of each, a set of four is around 500p on my server.

Hopefully save you a trip to a few of those zones you do not want to revisit.
  16. Brohg Augur

Gotcha. Yeah, no shortcut. If you've slid up to 85 with 5 & 15 ac augs as a tank you owe the game a little character development investment before tanking 85+ content.

The first four updates at least are very easy, two each of Tavon's Burnished Gemstone and Tavon's Polished Gemstone They're summoned by high level mages, and either given away or sold in the bazaar for like 200p.

At least as you camp the Underfoot & SoD augs you'll level well. By 90 regardless of augs you'll be mangling Grounds just fine.
  17. Tweelis Augur

Thanks for the help everybody.

For the sake of full disclosure....Tweelis is my main. As some mages around know Tweelis has been around forever and a day. He's a level 100/12k AA mage. So my baby sk has a full set of Tavon's plus plenty of spares in the bank for when I upgrade his gear. Twaalis is Tweelis' baby brother that feels like he got the short end of the stick in life. Twaalis' gear can be seen here: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/3149276
    Bad off augs are: ear, neck, arms, finger and range. I have a bunch of others in the AC20-25 range that could use some help but those are next in line after the first five.

@Qest
    If it was two healer mercs healing me I'd die. When I mentioned healers and slower I was referring to my friends which consisted of an 88 druid, 90 cleric (non box....no they don't suck) and Dizzyfizz....whom I'd assume you recognize from these forums. I'm not expecting easystreet but rather was hoping to not drag others down by playing in zones that would bore them to tears.
  18. Jonny Panic Augur

If you have plenty of Loyalty saved up, you can buy Bags of Faycitum from the Loyalty vendor, and use them to buy two 30 AC augs (Warleader's Pearl, Coleoptera Mechanical beetle Eye) from Fenden Helter... if you take the GH port to Dragonscale Hills, he's standing right there in the tower. The augs cost 2500 Faycitum each, so you'll need 25 bags per, for a total of 350 Loyalty crowns per aug.

Another 30 AC aug (Illsalin Enforcer Medal) is a guaranteed reward for doing an insanely easy instanced group mission in Darkhollow.

Three more can be camped in Ashengate, Frostcrypt, and Valdeholm, with the added bonus of a 25 AC aug as a zonewide rare in Valde.

Once I start considering augs, that's my starter set, along with Tavon augs.