Help with graphics issues

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Snack, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Snack Augur

Howdy all. I'm having issues with graphics, which eventually gives me framerate issues. I've tried updating drivers, doing various graphics tuning with little results.

Two of the big symptoms.
    #1) Autofollow starts breaking more often
    #2) I'll zone into a populated area (from Guild Lobby to PoK) and I'll get gray models and won't get skins loaded for 5 to 30 seconds. In extreme cases, I will still have gray models (no skins) for some things minutes later.

i3-3170
    8GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 1060 w/6GB
    EQ installed on an SSD

I've patched everything to latest versions, including video drivers. The video card is barely working at all (<10% GPU, <1GB Video RAM use). The CPU, RAM, network and disk are not being taxed, but I'm struggling to get this functioning properly.

This machine struggles to run 2 clients at times.

I've also turned off logging as I heard that can be a performance hit.

Any ideas?
  2. Buri Augur

Try going into your in-game settings and set memory mode to MOST, it seemed to help me with the same issue (on practically the same system).
  3. Snack Augur

I will happily give that a try.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

Post your eqclient.ini

System power options, set to High Performance. Nvidia control panel, Power management mode - change from adaptive to max performance.

Open up case, make sure heat sinks are clear of dust build up, and that fans are ramping up appropriately.

There are some other tweaks that can be done for the eqclient.ini to spread out the work to the CPU instead of 1 core per instance.

The other thing is to make sure Allow hw Vertex Shaders is checked (hw = hardware - unchecking that moves the computation from the GPU hardware to primarily software/CPU. It is an OLD setting for a time when some video cards did not manage Vertex Shaders themselves /shudders..

[IMG]

Other settings, performance enhancements in link below.
    https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-52048
  5. Snack Augur

This seems to improve things in limited testing (zoning between PoK and GL back and forth, I'm not getting skinless models)

Yup, did maintenance recently

I'll paste this later, had to leave before I did it -- but I have set the CPUAffinity to -1 for all CPUs.

I think I did everything here. HW vertex shaders definitely on.

Thanks!
  6. Snack Augur

99% sure I've located the problem. I was seeing some other weird 'hitches' that were not game related. Was worried that I had somehow smoked my non-overclocked CPU. Decided to start poking at the CPU numbers, see what was going on.

First stop was checking core temp. PEGGED! Pop the top off the case and lo and behold, during one of my dusting sessions, one of the fan wires got itself in the way of the CPU fan. The CPU was stopping process execution to protect itself. I've rerun the wires and started over.

Now I'm trying to get it to do that weird no-skin loading thing again, but think this will fix it.
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  7. Sarkaukar Augur

The weird no-skin loading was likely heat related too. The heat generating off of the CPU would have also affected the ram that sits right next to the CPU.