Help getting started on my monk again?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Tizerak, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Tizerak New Member

I've been sticking do Hotzones or doing Almar's leveling guide. I've got a full set of lvl 48 (I'm 48 now) intricate defiant gear, and the flawed combatant stuff you can buy in PoK. My weapon is the "Battleworn Ch'Ror". I'm using a bandolier macro to swap between thrown/range stat item for pulling. I'm using a JT1 bloodbone warrior merc.

1. Is there a better weapon I could be using? Reasonable to obtain?
    2. Any good items to summon throwing weapons?
    3. Any good utility clicky buff items for my level or soon?
    4. Something to summon bandages with?
    5. What level do you get the amazing buffs from sitting in the guild lobby? (my pally gets them when I started playing again but he's 66)

Any other useful info would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh yeah, is Epic 1.0 worth doing? (or any epics)
    Do iksar still have an exp deficit
    Do some zones like Sol B have exp bonuses? Or is it all Hotzones now?
  2. Symbius Augur

At those levels there really is no point in searching for prime weapons. Grab yourself some Defiant upgrades and you will be fine. The only thing to worry about is working the skills up.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=10563
    Named in Ssra. You can begin camping this and still gain plenty of xp at the same time.

Nothing major. I love levitate and you could get something like that, but you will need to get higher for the better ones.

Personally I wouldn't bother, but if you really want one... Medic's Pouch in Griegs End. You could also spend two minutes on a new free account and just summon yourself a ton of em with a Mage.

Depends on the spells. They all have a lower level limit on who they can hit. Once you start hitting the 60's some of those begin hitting you as you found out on the other character.

-- Yes, do them all.
    -- No. Those were done away with.
    -- Yes, zones have different xp bonuses. Personally I would suggest not to worry yourself about it. Find a place you enjoy. Constantly hunting for that prime spot is just wasted time you could have been XPing somewhere you enjoyed.
    Quatr and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  3. Tizerak New Member

Thank you for the reply, also I was thinking are disarm/intimidate worth it? I've been skilling them up just because, but they never work.
  4. Tizerak New Member

Also, is there anyone over at the Monkly Business forums that can confirm my account? I've registered, but am awaiting activation.
  5. Thrillho Augur

Nope.

Also, of all the skills to maintain, make sure Mend and Feign Death are your priority. 1HB / 2HB you shouldn't concern yourself with at the moment, and HTH will go up fairly quickly even if being PLed. Mend can be upped even if you're full health, so hit it often. FD takes a while to get up as well.

As Symbius says, don't worry about getting the prime gear. That'll come later (HoT was when I started worrying about it). I used my fists (literally) until I was lvl 52. Wore a cloth hat 'til I was in my 80s. Used a tank merc until I hit 60. If you can, try to get the T5 as soon as possible.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Rasputyn Elder

Send Nedrom a PM on this board.
  7. Tizerak New Member

What's HoT?

About the Merc, for a monk, after you hit 60 with the tank one, what do you change to next? Cleric? Or one of the dps types or stick to tank still? What level can you start the progression to get J tier ranks 2-5? If you buy an extra merc slot does it only apply to that character or the whole account?

I'll try and contact Nedrom.

I'm struggling to find a good place to level for awhile (just hit 50) are Almar's guides still valid for leveling?
  8. Maereax Augur

House of thule is expansion... number 12? 13? something like that.

You can do the progression for mercs at level 80 or higher, though you'll need help to do them then. I'd say go with a cleric to heal you or see if a DPS merc can keep you up

Stick to hotzones for leveling: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Hotzones
    You'll have people there to group with, and it's generally good exp.

I'll PM ned to approve your account.
  9. Symbius Augur

You can actually do them once you hit level 75. Done them on many alts at that level. However, you will be useless on the quests / mission, so you will need plenty of help.

I really cannot remember if the 15 level rule applies to the mission as well. If that is the case, you might be limited on who you can snag up to help you get the Warrens quests all done for it if you wish to have the better merc at the lower end of allowed levels.
  10. Imuu New Member

What server you on? im sure some monk can help you with stuff if we can.
  11. Tizerak New Member

Erollisi Marr
  12. Imuu New Member

Your on MB now, youll get all your answers there.
  13. Yther Augur

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Items_Clickies although not finished may provide some ideas on useful clickies.

For all spells that summon bandages (and can find all items with each of the spells) http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html?name=summoned: bandages&type=any&level=--N/A--&opt=Only&action=search

Dungeons still get a xp bonus. Hotzones can be bad, good, or great depedning on what they were before the bonus and how much more of bonus they get. Basicaly it just makes a terrible zone doable, an average zone, good, and a good zone great.

Yther Ore.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The 15 level rule does apply. It was part of the reason that someone made a request in one of the other forums a lil while back to have the J2-J5 start unlocking with partisans & Heroes Achievement for corresponding tiers in later expansions.
    More likely than not you're going to want to change to the healer merc sometime in your 60s. You won't want to really consider the DPS mercs until you get high enough leveled, geared, & AA'd to keep yourself up with Mend and potions.

Symbius already mentioned that the bare minimum for a character to be able to request the solo tasks required to get the J5 merc (which also requires that you be Gold in order to actually use any Journeyman mercs) is 75.

The extra merc slots, if you buy them from the Marketplace then they apply to your whole account. There are however two in-game ways to increase the number of merc slots. One is a Tradeskill based quest (requires 300 in all 7 basic tradeskills & I think a level req which I cannot remember, but is repeatable); the other is completing the Master of Alaris Achievement (Do everything possible for groupers to do in VoA; it is not repeatable). These two options result in that specific character gaining a rank of Hero's Barracks AA (found in the Special tab). Hero's Barracks increases the number of Mercenaries that you can hire (not use) at one time by 1 per rank and has a maximum of 4 ranks, but only for the specific character which did the quests.
  15. Yesway Augur

Not to hijack a thread, but I also recently came back and was wondering if there are any good guides of abilities/attacks that are not on the same timer to maximize my damage output. I'm lvl 85 so I use whorl of fists rk2 and flying kick but I thought there were several other things I could use.
  16. Crystilla Augur

17. Yesway Augur

Thanks, looks like there is a couple new ones I'll have to get. So it seems basically there are only the 2 I can use repeatedly I already have set, flying kick and whorl of fists and nothing else until I get drunken monkey style.
  18. Ishtass Augur

Something else new that isn't disc related, but tiger claw was unlinked from other forms of secondary attack. So now you should be spamming flying kick AND tiger claw.
  19. Yesway Augur

Excellent, that's very helpful. Thanks! How tough are the lvl 83 and 85 mission tomes to get? I don't know how many of my old friends are available to help out.
  20. Ishtass Augur

I think you can buy all of the tomes in the pok library up to around lvl 90 iirc.