Haven't Played Omens in Years (Class Info)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Avaryne, May 20, 2022.

1. Avaryne Journeyman

Last time I played in Omens I was an enchanter, and I remember the hard fall from grace that happened. I remember logging out in WoS and rerolling, and that was the end of that. I didn't play for long after that happened, but I'm excited to get going on it this time around. I've been looking into what I want to main in OoW, and have landed somewhere in the realm of Ranger, Necro, Zerker or Shaman but I'm not 100% sold on those 3 specifically. I hear "meleequest" a lot, but luckily the only itch I have for a caster is a Necro.

For those of you who have trekked through omens and know where the classes fall, would you mind sharing some info for me? I don't need to be #1, otherwise I'd just roll a zerker or a monk and say GG. I want to be effective in both groups and raid settings and I suppose being able to handle something on my own would be nice but not exactly necessary, as I have a fairly static group that I'll be with 90% of the time if I need to do anything (epics, etc).

This is a whole new world to me so I'm interested to hear what we're looking forward to.
  2. Avaryne Journeyman

Shoot, looks like it double posted. Sorry.
  3. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

GoD thru about dodh was the peak of my raiding before I retired from serious play and raiding live and I remember all of those classes being great during that era, honestly. I also remember not long after (but could be fuzzy about timeframe) reading that rogues (rogue was my main) were freaking out over zerkers supplanting them as top melee dps for the first time. So if you're thinking melee that might be something to consider. Otherwise, depending on your group makeup, it's hard not to reflexively recommend a shaman as I remember them being exceptional during this time also, as pretty much always. You won't just be great in groups and raids, you be good solo too. Had a shaman alt that was a blast and mains I knew could do some absolutely crazy stuff solo. The spell and ability set just blows up for shamans around that time or just before. Same could probably be said about necros, I just don't have experience with them.

This is for Vaniki? I'm considering it, myself, as I've been itching to play a rogue in thay era again.

Fun to ponder!
  4. Branntick Augur

My opinions on Omens classes fall somewhere around here:

S: Warrior, SK, Monk, Shaman, Cleric, Bard
    A: Berserker
    B: Paladin, Rogue, Ranger (Auspice bumps them up from C)
    C: Druid, Necromancer, Magician, Beastlord
    D: Wizard, Enchanter (contrived need for mezzing during an MPG trial, and charming on OMM)

This is discounting the fact that some of these classes bring necessary buffs to the table. Who wants to just play a buffbot, though?

70s are simply a very confused era of EQ and class balance is a bit of a mess. It isn't until TSS that classes start getting a more standardized tool kit.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

We always valued rangers above some others in OOW. Might consider including one of those in your group
  6. Avaryne Journeyman

I've been working on my ranger, it is definitely a valid class choice for me. Why we're the valued a bit more for you?
  7. Avaryne Journeyman

Very true, I have been melee 99% of my EQ life on TLP's but I love my necro on live. I know a whole lot changes from OoW to Live but I like to think maybe the caster era is not as bad as people say with all their doomsday'ing lol
  8. Branntick Augur

I have parses from that era from 3 different servers over the past ~6 years. It's actually probably worse than you think.

Ranger was my most recent excursion on TLP, and the number of resists are infuriating even on fully debuffed targets in that era. Your two DOTs have a -100 resist adjust, but your elemental nukes are resisted a ton.

Now imagine playing a class even more reliant on them for damage than Rangers. It's bad.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Cause we die so far away when pulling that we didn't endanger the rest of the group:D

No really, because we are a "utility" class we do well with tanking (yes tanking - if you know how to play a ranger they actually make good tanks) our dps is pretty sweet

We are almost constantly casting while doing melee damage & skill abilities so we are a very high-activity class that require good knowledge and skills to play. You can't sit back and plink arrows.
  10. Avaryne Journeyman

Yikes, I'm also factoring in my desire to do any of these 2.0's as well. I wish we didn't spend so long in this time period to make the suffering a little more tolerable.
  11. Branntick Augur

I'm talking about raiding for what it's worth. You can play anything in a group in EQ and be successful.

All of the 2.0s are pretty easy. You'll be bottlenecked by a globe moreso than the quest itself unless you have ridiculously high RA, but that depends on how your guild distributes them.
  12. Avaryne Journeyman

I'm looking at both pretty equally, raiding and group game. For the most part, it'll be a few weeks between globes for anything deemed an alt. Most of the epics I've done plenty of times, so not so much that they're hard by any means, more like "do i want to do it again." Lol. For instance, I'm not a fan of the zerker epic, but I don't mind the rogue epic (I know, doesn't make much sense). No matter which way I take it, it seems a melee will be more viable for the next few months, so that doesn't leave many options regardless.
  13. Branntick Augur

Keep in mind though that people still raid on their favorite classes on live despite the fact that Necros double some classes in dps.

It's important to play what you enjoy, especially if you want to be on the server long term.

Monks for example as broken as they are for a while eventually fall to the wayside and become a fairly useless class relative to Rogue/Berserker.

Class choice is something I struggle with a lot because of the wild imbalance in EQ throughout the years.
  14. Avaryne Journeyman

That's very true and something that I often times end up forgetting. I always strive to be a compatible piece to the team and forget that the fun factor is the most important regardless. Thank you for the reminder :)
  15. mark Augur

its funny enchanters are awsome in raids in omens especially the final fight where you get to charm a mob x2 enchanters to kill the last boss and along the way.
  16. Avaryne Journeyman

I never made it that far, this was back when Omens originally launched. It was a group in WoS that put the nail in the coffin then. I've just never quite been able to hop on the enchanter train since then, even though it's so many years later.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Enchanters suck through the 70 era but TSS onwards are a lot of fun & then after 100 kinda go bleh again though their DPS is potentially very high for great players in the late game, no idea about how they are currently on live though as I took a break before ToL launched.

Pretty much every class but Shadowknight has ups & downs across the expansions, and those had their only down period in classic.
  18. Branntick Augur

OMM charm pets are the most contrived excuse to give Enchanters something to do I've ever seen tbh.

Can't charm any relevant content, here's a couple pity pets that you're required to charm if you don't want this boss fight to take 500 years.

It's a meme, just like the 20 minute unskippable time trial that requires 95% of your raid to stand around AFK while Enchanters mez stuff.

Fortunately the devs hit their stride in TSS+ and figured out how to give classes a toolkit that doesn't require tailoring encounters to require a class in the worst way possible.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Vudoman New Member

Based upon your initial post, I'd recommend Shaman for ease of getting into raids, groups and need of the class. You can also solo or dou with anything ...

Necro for pure solobility, Zerker for melee dps but you are not soloing anything but farming trade skill mats till you get raid geared and learn the class. Rangers are ok and wanted for their atk buff but I would rank them last of your choices.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sorry but I was answering the post from OP asking me about rangers. It seems you didn't do well with yours and don't really like them. But appreciate your input !:)